Advice on Ride Machete vs. K2 Slayblade - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 06:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Advice on Ride Machete vs. K2 Slayblade

Hey, everyone. I don't think my last post went through so here it is. Basic stats: 5'9", 170 lbs, currently riding a 2010 Rome Headline 156. Looking to up my versatility with either the Ride Machete or K2 Slayblade. I ride in the midwest and east coast (ie. hardpack, ice, groomers, not much pow)

I basically freeride, and love going fast and carving. I'm also starting to work on some ground tricks and jumps. I eventually also want to ride switch as much as I ride regular. Not much park and no jibbing.

Overall, I'm looking for a board that'll hold up at high speeds, hold an edge while carving, but at the same time is versatile enough to do ground tricks, small jumps, and ride switch as much as regular.

Any advice from you intermediate-to-advanced riders who have rode these sticks would be great.

Thanks in advance.

STE
surf-the-earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2011, 09:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The Slayblade will be fairly annoying if you wanna have fun buttering. The Machete will be easier, but not ideal for it either. You might really like an Arbor Coda, its like a compromise between the two but with continuous rocker it will be a little easier to butter.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

Cool. I'll checkout the Arbor Coda. Thanks, Nivek.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Out of your two choices, I'd definitely go with the Machete. Get the 155 for your weight and you shouldn't have a bad time buttering at all.

It's a stable enough board for laying down carves. The Slimewall tech does an excellent job of dampening the board.

The Slayblade is a beast. Definitely not a butter board. However, it is very fast and allows you to lay down some aggressive carves. Super stable.

You might want to take a look at the Never Summer SL. I haven't been on it, but I do have an NS board with the same flex. The SL has more dampening so it's a better freeride board, but the slightly setback twin design gives it freestylability (like my word creation?).
Old 02-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice, Leo. I'll take a look at the NS SL board too. If I decide to go with the Machete, what are your thoughts on possibly going down to the 152? Ideally, I'd like to go down to a 154 or 153, but those lengths are offered with the Ride Machete. I'm currently riding a Rome Headline 156 and I love it, but it "feels" kinda long. I like making long sweeping carves, but I also like to make quick short radius turns on a dime which I was thinking a shorter board might help me with. Any major downsides to going too short on a mid-to-stiff flex board like the Machete? Thanks in advance.

STE
Old 02-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ooops...correction to my last post: "...but those lengths AREN'T offered with the Ride Machete." Sorry about that.

STE
Old 02-23-2011, 02:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

If it were my money, i would go for the arbor. I occasionally ride an a-frame (not that it is the same as the coda at all), but i love it. Also, the guy from my local shop rides the coda and loves it to death.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the tip, Hodgepodge. I'm gonna try to demo the Arbor Coda and Ride Machete. I'll see which one fits my riding style the best.

STE