Set up Question - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2008, 11:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
andru1313

Default Set up Question

Helloo I am a n00b on here. Just started to snowboard. Been going every weekend I live in PA fyi. I was a skier for over 10 years and got bored so wanted to try snow boarding. Anyway...After using rental equipment I pulled the trigger on a setup.

I am 6'2 195lbs size 12 boot. I ended up buying a K2 Select wide 158 with Burton Mission Bindings and Burton Hail boots.

I take the board out for it's first day on the slopes and BANG ended up in the ER. I am having a extremely hard time getting the board to turn. Takes a lot for me to maneuver the board. I went up yesterday and same thing. I tried my friends Burton Canyon 156 and had a much easier time riding and felt a lot more comfortable.

Could the board be to wide for me? I was thinking of trying to exchange it for a different board or should I just try and learn to ride it? I can toe stop and toe turn really easy but have alot of issue on my heel side.

If anyone could help me out I would really appreciate some insight.
Board info
Effective edge:
[158] 1238.8mm

Waist width:
[158] 26.5cm

Sidecut radius:
[158] 8.13m

Stance width:
[158] 21in

Stance setback:
[158] 1in

Last edited by andru1313; 02-11-2008 at 12:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2008, 02:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
andru1313

I am really looking for some help here. I am really at a loss. Is this board to wide for me? A I having issue turning do to this? I Called the shop i bought from and they will work with me but also said I should not be having a problem. It is a good solid board.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

firstly, I hope you're okay, and the trip to the ER wasn't too punishing.
secondly, I'm not familiar with the board, so this is only a guess, but maybe the board is WAY too stiff for a beginner. The reason your friend's board was easier to maneuver is because it's been broken in over some time.
You can definitely learn on yours, and although I'd say the board is a smidge too short for you, you should be able to throw it around under your weight.

It isn't too wide in my opinion. Especially with angles at 15/0, however, is your friend's stance (width between bindings) maybe wider than on your board?
romesaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
andru1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by romesaz View Post
firstly, I hope you're okay, and the trip to the ER wasn't too punishing.
secondly, I'm not familiar with the board, so this is only a guess, but maybe the board is WAY too stiff for a beginner. The reason your friend's board was easier to maneuver is because it's been broken in over some time.
You can definitely learn on yours, and although I'd say the board is a smidge too short for you, you should be able to throw it around under your weight.

It isn't too wide in my opinion. Especially with angles at 15/0, however, is your friend's stance (width between bindings) maybe wider than on your board?
Thanks for the response. When I rode the burton the bindings were set at 28 and
-25. So i changed my stance
25 and -20 it was not much better. I rode a 162 custom and had alot of toe drag. It just seems that I have to really throw my self to get it to turn.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

make sure your bindings are centered edge to edge. it sounds like you might have your bindings mounted toe heavy. just make sure you have as much heel hanging off as toe. if that doesn't help, move more heel off than toe. the width is fine for your boot size. another thing you might try is to put a little more aggressive angle in your highback, it will force you to bend your knees more which is better for heelside turns.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
andru1313

thanks I will give that shot. I am pretty sure the bindings are centered. I had the shop i got the stuff from set up the board. Buckmans Ski shop. So I may stop back in and have them double check their work.