UPS Delivery stolen? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 08:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaborkian View Post
If UPS didn't drop stuff on my doorstep, I'd never get anything. No one is home most of the time when UPS comes by. I personally love the policy.

There's little risk for me. Nothing has ever been stolen, and even if that should happen, it's on the shipper or UPS to make it right.

Another thing to consider is the time it takes for a driver to get a signature. Let's say a driver stops at a couple of hundred houses in a day. 200 signatures x even 30 seconds would add almost 2 hours to his day. Do that to EVERY ups truck out there, and UPS just added 20% to their labor cost. Who do you think will pay for this? UPS? Not likely...they will go up on rates and WE pay for it. Oh yea...free shipping? No. The shippers will go up on their products to cover it.

For those who live in less than safe neighborhoods, tell your shipper to check the "signature required" box. Done deal.
I'm assuming that you just picked out what you wanted to argue from my post since you totally misconstrued what I stated.

I hate the policy of leaving stuff at your front porch in plain view. I'm all for leaving stuff, just be mindful of the possibility of it being stolen. Would I prefer a signature for big ticket items? Absolutely. If not, then leave it at my house out-of-sight.

As for you not ever being home, that's your fault. I always try to make sure somebody is home for big ticket items or else I leave a polite note on the door asking them to conceal it. You're only happy until you yourself experience a problem with this current leave in plain view policy.

Not all of us are as fortunate as you.
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2011, 08:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

My buddy works at fed ex, he says that a driver cant leave boxes over a certain wieght/hieght/width on a porch without haveing a signature. Price also comes into play with the smaller more expensive items. But definetly its on ups(Assuming they have same policy as fed ex.)

Side note: did u look over your shipping details again? May have accidentaly wrote the wrong house number and now one of your nieghbors is holding out on u. i did this before, my nieghbor up the street "forgot" to give it to me after noticeing it wasnt "his delivery" yea ok.

twitter-tastic
tj_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
I hate the policy of leaving stuff at your front porch in plain view.
This is against UPS policy. They can leave stuff, but it should be out of sight and out of weather.

I hope things turn out ok on this for you...
Old 02-25-2011, 10:25 AM   #14 (permalink)

I used to have the coolest UPS driver. He would always leave my packages inside my porch (I have a walk-in porch w/ a door). He would always ring the doorbell and great me with a "what's up brother?" even though I'm asian and he's white. The UPS drivers now suck. They never ring the doorbell, even if all the lights are on in the house. I even had one package left outside on my porch steps during a blizzard. Thankfully it was only contact solution. I've had countless other packages left outside of my porch. Is it so hard for them to open a screen door?

BTW, my NS SL came yesterday. I watched the UPS driver leave it in my porch. They didn't ring the doorbell or ask for a signature. GL, I hope everything works out for you.
epicjas0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:44 AM   #15 (permalink)

I just had a wtf moment with my UPS guy too. I was waiting for my iphone4 to be delivered, my company is sending this to me,and it says it would be delivered by 10:30am. I sat by my living room waiting. 10:45, nothing, I went outside to check, low and behold, a UPS slip unsuccessful delivery slip was on my door. Why didn't he ring the effing door bell????
I was so mad. I don't have time to be sitting here another day to wait for delivery. Called and they promised to redeliver the same day.... but yeah... I hate my UPS guy.
fayewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:02 AM   #16 (permalink)

You can re-route fedex to a nearest pickup location which usually is a FedEx/Kinko store. I like this feature a lot

Last edited by hellside; 02-25-2011 at 11:43 AM.
hellside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:24 AM   #17 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yeah from what I understand they don't need a signature. Similar experience happened when I sent my x-box 360 in for warranty. Viewed the tracking and it said it was delivered, called ups they don't know anything about it, waited a week do pursue it further, turns out Microsoft wrote in the wrong address #24 instead of #25 when they shipped it back, so I went to my neighbor, he asked his kids if they seen a package the kids say no. I was sure his little shit kids now had my xbox, at least it was Microshafts fault because I clearly wrote the return address as #25 blablabla. I just wanted to play some damn vids. About 3 minutes later the neighbor shows up with the box still sealed, it was on his porch for a week!

Anyway I would be ready to cry or kill if 2 snowboards went missing. I wish you the best of luck getting them.
freshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:47 AM   #18 (permalink)

UPS actually makes a conscious effort to leave stuff out of site in my neighborhood (thankfully). They'll drop it off somewhere out of site, knock on the door super loud scaring my dogs then take off running to their truck, it's funny to watch. I guess I'm lucky that my neighborhood is one of the last on their route because they always deliver between 7 and 8 PM, so I'm usually home by then and can watch out for them.

FedEx has done the same but I don't get nearly as many items from them as UPS.
sketcheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:48 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
I always thought big ticket items require a signature.
Like I said...my UPS driver told me that anything with a declared value (that they then use for insurance) of $200 or more they require a direct signature. I tried leaving a note for them to deliver my son's Capita just a few weeks ago and they wouldn't leave it so I picked it up at the depot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaborkian View Post
Another thing to consider is the time it takes for a driver to get a signature. Let's say a driver stops at a couple of hundred houses in a day. 200 signatures x even 30 seconds would add almost 2 hours to his day. Do that to EVERY ups truck out there, and UPS just added 20% to their labor cost. Who do you think will pay for this? UPS? Not likely...they will go up on rates and WE pay for it. Oh yea...free shipping? No.
Deliveries to non commercial addresses cost more to ship...they build the cost of dealing with neighborhoods and getting signatures into the cost of the shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyder View Post
UPS does not require a signature on all items over $200, only if the shipper requests so.
See my statement to Leo above. My UPS driver and the guy at the depot say they do so I don't know where you are getting that from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onji View Post
You said you use them a lot Grasschopper, so they're alright? I've heard a bit of complaining about Fedex, are they both pretty similar?
Well there are a few reasons for my use of UPS. I do the shipping for the company I work for and we ONLY ship UPS unless a customer absolutely HAS to have FedEx and then we charge them more for it. FedEx will not do daily pickup at our factory because of the location but UPS will, this factor alone eliminates FedEx for our shipping. Secondly FedEx has different divisions for different types of shipments, FedEx Ground is totally separate from Air. They have different depots and different trucks...add into the mix FedEx Home Delivery which only adds to the confusion. I have seen 3 FedEx trucks make deliveries to our factory in a day...no clue why anyone is shipping to us using Home Delivery but whatever. I have seen SOOOO many times when FedEx will miss-route a package it isn't even funny. Third is I have only had one issue with UPS in many years of shipping with them and that was really the customer's fault (but nothing is ever the customer's fault).
Grasschopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:42 PM   #20 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I ordered an $800 photo lens awhile back only to have UPS leave it at my doorstep just a half a block from one of the busiest foot traffic areas in Queens.
LuckyRVA is offline   Reply With Quote