UPS Delivery stolen? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 02:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy UPS Delivery stolen?

I ordered 2 snowboards a few days ago and the retailer said UPS picked up the goods on the 21st. After checking with the UPS tracking website, it says they've been delivered at 11:47 on the 24th. The field 'Left At' reads 'Front Door'

It's now 03:00 on the 25th and there's no indication of 2 snowboards at the front door. I'm going to call UPS in the morning and check what has happened with the delivery.

I'd like to ask if anyone else has had a similar problem before?
I thought they had to get a signature for expensive deliveries?
Could this be some bad data entry on the website, or maybe they left a delivery notice as opposed to the actual boards?

I'm pretty spooked about this and hope this thing gets sorted out.
onji is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2011, 04:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onji View Post
I ordered 2 snowboards a few days ago and the retailer said UPS picked up the goods on the 21st. After checking with the UPS tracking website, it says they've been delivered at 11:47 on the 24th. The field 'Left At' reads 'Front Door'

It's now 03:00 on the 25th and there's no indication of 2 snowboards at the front door. I'm going to call UPS in the morning and check what has happened with the delivery.

I'd like to ask if anyone else has had a similar problem before?
I thought they had to get a signature for expensive deliveries?
Could this be some bad data entry on the website, or maybe they left a delivery notice as opposed to the actual boards?

I'm pretty spooked about this and hope this thing gets sorted out.
I had a similar situation with Fedex, but it dealt with my textbooks for school. It said they were delivered and left at the front porch, but I never received anything. What ended up happening was the Fedex delivery guy made a stop by my house and spoke to me about where he left the books yadda yadda yadda. The fact of the matter is I never received them and I got in touch with my school bookstore about never receiving the books. Fedex ended up taking the fall for it and the bookstore refunded my money so I could get a new set of books. Still to this day I think the Fedex guy delivered the books to the wrong house lol. Hope this kinda gives you some peace of mind seeing how it isn't your fault. Best of luck!!
streamline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hey streamline thanks for getting back. That must've really sucked being a student, books are really expensive for undergrads. Your story seems to be similar to what I've heard when UPS/Fedex drops the ball, that being the customer calls the merchant, the merchant calls the courier and they have to pay (probably an insurance claim).

Was it much of a f**karound gettin the university to get your refund? I had some mail order stuff get stolen out of my letterbox when I was in Australia and the merchant was a complete douche about the situation, I eventually got a refund but it took about 4 weeks and about 6 letters of complaint.

Are the US merchants just as tight?
Old 02-25-2011, 06:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Here are a couple of tidbits as someone who ships UPS a lot. If the value is over $200 they require a direct signature, you can't even leave a note for the driver. What this means is either the driver bypassed the rules and it's on him/UPS or the retailer didn't declare the value of the package (ie they didn't insure it) and it is on the retailer. Either way it isn't on you, the only way the retailer has proof you actually took possession of the goods is your signature on the UPS scanner and clearly if tracking says front door they don't have that.

My guess is that the retailer is trying to save on shipping by not paying for insurance...which is fine but it puts it on them if you don't get it. Their other option is to check a box when shipping that says to require adult signature, that doesn't cost them a dime so there is no reason they can't/didn't do it.
Grasschopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks Grasschopper. That's the kind of thing I would expect the retailer to take care of. Ticking a box that indicates 'signature' common sense I would have assumed, I guess it'll teach me to make that explicit over the phone next time..

I think they would have written the value on the box, since the website said that they would not put an incorrect value on the box in order to circumvent tax/customs/whatever.

I'll call UPS in the morning, and hopefully they'll have some good news for me. I'm still kind of hoping it's just some bad data entry.

You said you use them a lot Grasschopper, so they're alright? I've heard a bit of complaining about Fedex, are they both pretty similar?
Old 02-25-2011, 07:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I really hate that UPS/FedEx does this. Really? You're going to leave my snowboard that is in a big-ass box on my front porch for the world of thieves to see? The above poster is correct. They require a signature for big purchase items. How else are they going to prove it was even left on the porch? Because for all you know then, the UPS driver took it himself/herself.

For future reference though, as we all know they won't do ish about changing their system... Leave a note on the front porch noting to please leave item out of sight in your back porch or something. If you live in an apartment, leave a note asking for it to be left at the office.

When I ordered my board in 2007, UPS left it outside in the cold. When I took the board out, the edges were completely rusted over. I'm assuming it was due to it being in a warm truck/warehouse then being left in the cold soon after. Wasn't a huge deal since it was only surface rust, but it made me think about the complete lack of care on their part.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

I bought an iPhone 4 for my dad last year. They kept giving me a delivery date, so I kept staying home waiting for the package. The first time I stayed home, no one came. The second and third time, same thing. I'm a busy guy, and staying home all day once a week is really annoying. What happened was that Fedex sent it to the wrong shipping facility, so the iPhone never even got onto the right delivery truck. This unfortunately took them a month to resolve.

What really scared me was when they sent the iPhone to the wrong facility, the online tracking thingy told me that the item was delivered. The signature was some guy's name I didn't know. I don't know how this even happened, but it sure annoyed the hell out of me. I probably won't be using Fedex for awhile.

Give UPS a call tomorrow and see. They aren't 24 hours like Fedex, but you should be able to resolve your issue. Good luck
looboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

UPS does not require a signature on all items over $200, only if the shipper requests so. If the 9th & 10th digits of your tracking # are " 03 " UPS can leave it without any contact of you. They should leave it somewhere safe where it won't get stolen.
Are there streets close to you with your address?? Like 123 Tree Ln and your street is next one over 123 Leaf St, sometimes the driver could think he is a one street when he actually left it one block over, still a mistake on his part. Might be worth a quick drive around your neighborhood to see if you see a large box sitting on someone else's porch area with your name and address on it.
You already contatcted the board shop, so now UPS needs to get your signature that you received the boards which you didn't. The claim will be between the shipper and UPS, ask the board seller if they can send you new ones and request a signature so they know you will get them this time.

I have gotten stuff from both companies and have had good/bad with both, mainly issues with FedEx
Old 02-25-2011, 07:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I always thought big ticket items require a signature. Guess I was wrong lol. Still, they shouldn't be leaving stuff out in plain sight.

Most of my problems were FedEx as well. The UPS driver in our neighborhood (well, I recently moved so previous neighborhood) used to hide our packages so they couldn't be seen for people driving/walking by, but could easily be noticed if looking out of our door. Smaller packages would be wedged between the screen door and door, others would be hidden behind the bush. Big items were brought to our side door out of sight... Very cool.

FedEx driver? No attempt. Just left right at the door in plain sight.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
I really hate that UPS/FedEx does this. Really? You're going to leave my snowboard that is in a big-ass box on my front porch for the world of thieves to see? The above poster is correct. They require a signature for big purchase items. How else are they going to prove it was even left on the porch? Because for all you know then, the UPS driver took it himself/herself.

For future reference though, as we all know they won't do ish about changing their system... Leave a note on the front porch noting to please leave item out of sight in your back porch or something. If you live in an apartment, leave a note asking for it to be left at the office.

When I ordered my board in 2007, UPS left it outside in the cold. When I took the board out, the edges were completely rusted over. I'm assuming it was due to it being in a warm truck/warehouse then being left in the cold soon after. Wasn't a huge deal since it was only surface rust, but it made me think about the complete lack of care on their part.
If UPS didn't drop stuff on my doorstep, I'd never get anything. No one is home most of the time when UPS comes by. I personally love the policy.

There's little risk for me. Nothing has ever been stolen, and even if that should happen, it's on the shipper or UPS to make it right.

Another thing to consider is the time it takes for a driver to get a signature. Let's say a driver stops at a couple of hundred houses in a day. 200 signatures x even 30 seconds would add almost 2 hours to his day. Do that to EVERY ups truck out there, and UPS just added 20% to their labor cost. Who do you think will pay for this? UPS? Not likely...they will go up on rates and WE pay for it. Oh yea...free shipping? No. The shippers will go up on their products to cover it.

For those who live in less than safe neighborhoods, tell your shipper to check the "signature required" box. Done deal.
kaborkian is offline   Reply With Quote