Amazing! But is it the rocker or Never Summer? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 04:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well, I'm a newbie, and I feel I've outgrown my beginner board (technine split t). I feel like I've stopped progressing even though I've punched through a wall I've hit that same wall, with the same board. I just got an SL, and will test it out on Sunday.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2011, 04:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

I think rocker is different.. its fun to ride. but like linvillegorge any new board will be better than one that old. my first board was an 03 I think lamar and it was stiff as hell and actually snapped by simply doing a tail press. then I bought a 07 ride control (witch is just an intermediate ride board) and it was like night and day how much better that board was.
skip ahead about 3 boards and they are even better yet. I just got the Academy propaganda RC 156 and its a fun board.. we finally had a little fresh and the reverse camber was great in it. just floated so smoothly and felt great in it.

Academy Propaganda rev - Rome 390 Boss
New for 14-15
Yes the Basic - Now IPO
henry06x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry06x View Post
I think rocker is different.. its fun to ride. but like linvillegorge any new board will be better than one that old. my first board was an 03 I think lamar and it was stiff as hell and actually snapped by simply doing a tail press. then I bought a 07 ride control (witch is just an intermediate ride board) and it was like night and day how much better that board was.
skip ahead about 3 boards and they are even better yet. I just got the Academy propaganda RC 156 and its a fun board.. we finally had a little fresh and the reverse camber was great in it. just floated so smoothly and felt great in it.
I agree, but the interesting thing is, I was riding a top of the line board, on expert terrain, back in 1990. For me, it was not a matter of outperforming my first board (I got my first board in 1988). I bought a very nice 2004 Rome Anthem, and maybe this board just sucked (I doubt it), but every time i rode it, I felt like a beginner. This led me to go back to my beat 1998 Solomon (with clicker bindings ) which felt much better.

Now, with the NS SL, I feel like I am back and then some. I am going to hang onto my SL, but I would love to try some other NS boards, as well as some other rocker designs.
MARider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:46 AM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Glad we could help and sounds like you got the right thing
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #15 (permalink)

Just took my 163 NS Legacy out for the first time today, and for a big wide board it was damn fast. Much faster and easier to turn than any of the boards I rented previously. It was really responsive, almost too much so as I made little moves and was catching edges like mad as it was turning and I wasn't expecting it too. Overall it was awesome, and I can't wait to get back out.

For sizing, it's a 163, I'm 6'1", 250lbs.
Pixel8tedOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:36 AM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I finally took my SL for a spin. I'm a beginner (no jumps yet but beginning to fly down the mountain). I still have not yet had a good setup for me, but the SL is the first piece of the puzzle. I still need some bindings but I borrowed my friends too big Burton Customs yesterday. Finally Big Bear Lake got some fresh snow while I was visiting, so I took the SL for a spin on some packed and ungroomed powder (not fresh though, but still 2-3 feet deep). It was fantastic. The bindings were too big, and the screws I had were a tiny bit too long so I had bindings that were jiggling after one run. Didn't matter, I still rode better than I did on my last board with tight bindings that were appropriately sized. The Sl was extremely catch free even though I should have caught a bunch of edges (the loose bindings caused me to stall on some linked turns yet the board didn't catch when it normally would). You know, when you go from toe side to heel yet at the top everything just dies. I do need to pick a binding soon but I already love this board.

I noticed how much faster it was just skating to my first lift of the day. It just glided and I was on factory wax.

I came from a stiff board, the Technine Split T, and while the SL is softer, it was probably a tiny bit more stiff than I thought it was going to be. Then again, my bindings sucked so that could be it. But it's definitely not flexible. I'm 140 now, and the board is a 151, so I think the board is sized correctly.

In any event, I'm loving the board. I was flying faster than I ever did before down the mountain, goofing around, even tried some jumps off natural features. Of course, the powder (first in a while) made me more confident because you fall into a pile of pillows, but I can already tell this board is going to be a lot of fun.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:56 PM   #17 (permalink)

Default NS Legacy

I upgraded this year to my first high end board. I was riding a Burton Bullet and went to the NS Legacy 174. It was amazing the difference it made! Turns are flawless and runs I was scared of before, I fly through now. I am a beginner (3rd season, about 15 days) and with this board I can now hang with friends that have been doing it for years. I have had so much fun with the Legacy, I am planning trips around snowboarding (Not something I though I would do, decent mountain 3 hrs from me). I am 6'8" 320 lbs, not your typical size for snowboarding and it is nice to be on a board that feels right.
bgmic58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARider View Post
Now, with the NS SL, I feel like I am back and then some. I am going to hang onto my SL, but I would love to try some other NS boards, as well as some other rocker designs.
My story is similar to yours: always rode big, stiff boards and when I was looking to upgrade, I always went looking for something more gnarly. Got some great rides, but was always a bit frustrated by something. I blamed my technique for a long time and then I went with something softer and rockered: The NS SL-r in a 161. Very Happy!

I demoed some other rockered boards before and after I bought it and there's no second guessing for me.

I love the bomb-proof build and their RC tech works better for me than others I tried. I do wonder, though, if a good chunk of my satisfaction is due to finally finding a board that really fits my riding style rather than trying to match my riding to my board. Not going to lose any sleep over that, though, and I'd buy NS again!
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote