Amazing! But is it the rocker or Never Summer? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 09:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Amazing! But is it the rocker or Never Summer?

First let me thanks forks on this forum for pointing me towards this board in the first place. I was in need of a new board and based on comments here, I went with a 161 NS SL. I have been snowboarding since 7th grade (20+ years), almost entirely freerideish/mountain (no park, no pipe). I needed to upgrade my 2004 Rome Anthem, which I have NEVER enjoyed riding (I just stuck with it over the years, trying to get it to be good for me)

I gave up recently and was looking at all of the ususal suspects for a guy like me (all stiff, cambered, big mountain boards) when I started hearing about the NS SL, and how even though it was rockered, and not a big mountain board, that it actually rode all mountain well, and that it could even hold up at high speeds on hard pack.

I pulled the trigger on a 161 and it arrived yesterday. I went last night and the conditions were not great--loose granular and ice. Right away I could feel how different the board felt from every other board I have ridden. Initiaing turns was beyond effortless. I was intantly able to get the board to do whatever I wanted. Compared to the way I had to fight and push my Anthem to do the same just made me sorry I stuck with it for so long.

So slow speed turning was obviously awesome, but what about high speed, steeper, icy condition? No problem. It took a few runs for me to find how far I could push the board and the answer was--very, very far. I was going faster, more confidently, than I have ridden in all my 20+ years. I was bombing down the runs. And just as importantly, I was doing things along the way, even at high speed, that I do not normally do even at slower (safer) speeds. Just fooling around stuff, cutting turns, hitting small things, goofy fun stuff, but all very comfortably. All I can say is this board made me have more fun in one night, at an average small local hill, on crappy snow, than I have had in the past in near perfect conditions at much bigger mountains.

So my question after all of this is...is it the rocker technology in general or is it specifically the Never Summer SL itself? Are other rocker and rocker/camber boards like this? I can't believe how different and incredible this board felt. I almost want to write a letter of thanks to the folks at Never Summer.
MARider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2011, 09:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

it doesn't matter what it is, at least not for me. Like yourself, I was on the same board for 9 years. never felt like i could actually push it on that board. got a SL this year (same size as the old board) and what a difference. completely changed my enjoyment of the sport.
cjs2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

I bought a NS Premier last week and picked it up on monday. Went riding at a nearby hill. Conditions where awful, with granular snow, and ice everywhere. I couldnt wait to see how the premier would compare to my old burton deuce

Just like you, I found myself going way faster than before, hitting small stuff, fooling around, and feeling totally confident after one run. I honestly cant believe how much fun I had on this small hill. Even when riding on icy sections i just went full speed and the board held like it was on rails. The level of damping when hitting bumps or going super fast is just amazing.

I cant wait to try it on a real mountain! I dont know if its NS, or the Rocker, but I feel like I went from a dodge shadow to a Mercedes

Last edited by jumpinthefire; 02-25-2011 at 10:22 AM.
jumpinthefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

I recently bought a 162 NS Heritage to replace a 09/10 LibTech T.Rice 157 and I find the NS is WAY WAY faster edge to edge even though both boards are rocker/camber designs. Not sure what it is but I too am liking many things about the NS (though I think the T.Rice felt more connected at high speeds) compared to other boards I have ridden.
Grasschopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm with you, glad you're liking it. I picked up my 158 SL a week ago and went up in perfect condions. Tons of fresh powder. My gf and the rest of my group were done and back at the truck and I literally rode until they shut the lift down. So much fun. I definitely think it's just the combination of the board, it's the whole package. The flex, the dampening, the edge hold (when you want it to), the ease of edge to edge with the RC. It seriously just all comes together and makes a great board.
crazy3gz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Nice, if the Fedex truck can make it into Tahoe today I should have an SL in 158.

What weights are you guys riding your SL's? My last board was an Arbor Formula in 161 but I've decided to size down a tad with the 158. I float between 195-205 pounds.
paulage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

im at 5'8 165 but i ride my boards long
cjs2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

I experienced the same thing. A couple of years ago i went from a Palmer 162 (great board for speed and grip) to a Sims FS 750 157. I started snowboarding in -91 and was quite advanced for my first 14 years. In -05 felt like getting back to freestyle so a got myself a shorter freestyleboard. I rode it for 6 years and never got it to work. I slowly got worse for each year riding it. This season o got myself a Nitro Team Gullwing 157 and everything felt right. Im on rails again. Im hitting big kickers again. All thanks to this board (or the new cambertech..).
Burton Idiom
j3n5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm a big NS fan and the SL is a great all-around board, but honestly, just about any new board is going to be a huge upgrade over a tired 7 year old board.
linvillegorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
I'm a big NS fan and the SL is a great all-around board, but honestly, just about any new board is going to be a huge upgrade over a tired 7 year old board.
Thats my point. But my Sims FS 750 sucked from start. A lousy board can make you feel like its no point in keeping evolving. And on a great board again you feel like its as funny as ever...
Burton Idiom
j3n5 is offline   Reply With Quote