Dealing with bindings that come loose all the time... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 12:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Dealing with bindings that come loose all the time...

Ok this is really getting frustrating. Long story short i have a 09 NS SL-R and Burton Cartels.

This year they are becoming a huge PITA and i need some advice. After a few runs my front foot binding always comes loose, and if i twist my leg i can rotate it a little bit left and right. Im constantly tightening it at the mountain and its getting old. I tried putting blue loctite on, no dice it still happens.

But this is what really puzzles me, i always just assumed it was the binding posts on the front or the bolts. But awhile ago i spent a day riding switch on the newbie hills practicing, and what do you know that binding started doing the exact same thing(now that it was the front foot).

My questions are
-Does this say anything bad in my form? Its obviously following my front leg, is something im doing wrong in my form causing this?
-Can i put red loctite on my screws and ever hope to remove them? Im going to try putting a generous amount of blue on and let it set, but i've already put a good dab on each bolt and let it cure for several days and it didnt seem to do anything.
-If not, what the hell can i do? I doubt its my binding posts or my bolts, because why would it follow my dominant foot?
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2011, 01:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

are you talking about the screws that tighten the binding to the board? If so, check the teeth in your base plate that lock in the angles. you might have stripped them
PanHandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanHandler View Post
are you talking about the screws that tighten the binding to the board? If so, check the teeth in your base plate that lock in the angles. you might have stripped them
Yes, sadly no its definately the bolts coming loose. When it starts moving when i goto the station with the screwdriver theres always atleast one screw if not multiples that are loose and need to be retightened a half turn or so.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

hmm im surprised loctite isnt working then.
PanHandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Ok, shit that you can do to help this

1. Grow non-puny arms and fucken tighten it like a man.

2. Was - Apply a little more blue thread lock but just re-read andyouve already tried that...

3. Apply a SMALL ONLY amount of thread retainer or thread locker (no more than half a drip per screw or you're 'proper fucked'). If you are going to do this, make sure that the crosses in the top of the screw are in top condition as you might not be able to unscrew it next time it comes to take your bindings off ....then you're selling a board and binding combo...

4. Measure the binding screw depth and the board insert hole depth (make sure you include the binding plate...adjust screw length if needed, they may be on the cusp of bottoming out.

5. Get new fresh screws if needed (they'll have new fresh blue goo)

6. Not listen to paramore so much

Any one else got any ideas?
fattrav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I liked the idea of new screws. I have tapped out the threads with a tap to make sure you have good threads. Also take an air gun or some compressed air source and blow into the hole to remove any debris that may be in the bottom of the hole allowing the screws not to tighten.

Just for kicks I would also move both bindings forward one set of holes and make some runs. If you binding come loose in these new holes you will know it's the screws.

Bindings:
  • Did you just get these or been using them for a while?
  • Are the screws the original screws if you bought them new?
  • If you got them used you sure they are the correct screws for those bindings?

The Screws for my Bent Metal, Flows and 51/50 are all different from each other
Old 02-26-2011, 11:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm thinking the screws you have now might not be the right size, are they the ones that came with your bindings?
I am also surpised Blue locktite dident work.
Maybe you stretched out your insert holes?
freshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

you can use RED loctite but when you want to disassemble you will have to use heat on the screws to get them out without pulling the inserts out of your board.

I think the above post that said man up and tighthen the screws is probably the right suggestion though. Try getting a Bullet tool that has the lever for tightening or get a 1/4" drive ratchet with the correct phillips socket so you can have leverage if you dont have enough hand strength.
racer357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Sadly im past just "tighten them tighter", i have sat there cranking on it as hard as possible and within a few runs its loose. Its not like im just screwing it in until its tight.

Yes they are bindings ive had now for 3 seasons, original bolts this worked perfectly fine for the last 2 years. Ill probably stay away from Red Loctite as it sounds like a huge PITA...

Im more curious WHY its happening on my lead foot only than anything lol.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Look, now that i'm alot less drunk than I was last night...

You'll be fine with red loctite - just use it sparingly ok (you wont need heat to undo them if you use it sparingly).

Slyder has some very well thought out ideas that you could look at as far as what is going on with your bindings. Only run a thread tap into your inserts if you know what you are doing though.

Im thinking its happened to your lead foot only due:
more flex being put on it during your riding/turning,
its the first binding that gets all the bumps and shit when your riding.
fattrav is online now   Reply With Quote