Board for my wife - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2011, 09:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Member

she is wearing a burton boot size 8.5 (its to big, im gonna get her new boots soon). her boot is centered on her board, so if i took a pic it would look like its not bad but her boot is to big. i know its not the end of the world the way it is but i figuired i would try to check things out during the off season.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2011, 09:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfoot1598 View Post
Oooohh....23.5 Mondo. That's small. I basically wear the same size and it has been a very real problem for me as well. So you're right, it IS much harder to turn a board when your feet don't reach the edges - this is especially true for toeside turns.

Basically there are NO boards out there that will be narrow enough for a boot that size. I have found that the solution is a torsionally soft board that is easier to turn. For me, even mid-stiff boards are too stiff.

It may help to put her on a shorter board as well, since waist widths are narrower on shorter boards. So although a 150 cm board may be ideal, she may find that a 145 NS Infinity (for example) would be stable enough for all-mountain riding, but short enough to manage.

From my own experimentation, I have decided that the Never Summer Pandora is the best "park" board for all-mountain riding. It is very damp, but is still soft and playful. I picked one up this year and I'm loving it.

The Capita Space Metal Fantasy (female version of the Horrorscope) has a very narrow waist and is also a very fun board.

I also owned the Gnu B-street. Great board as well, liked it more than the SMF, but found that it really bounced me around in choppy/rough conditions. The magnetraction is great and it floats well in powder.

How is she doing with boots? Salomon makes some of the smallest sizes out there, if you need some options. Wearing a stiffer boot and binding may help her reclaim some of the responsiveness she'll lose on a softer board.

I hope this helps. It took me quite a bit of experimentation to get the best set-up.
thanks for all the recomendations i will start to look for them. im not sure about the boots, i didn't even know she had small feet!!! lol she has informed me that they are tiny for her height.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

Like I said before the OP's wife and I are about the same in foot size and in weight. If you want to post pics of the setup to see if it can be tweaked then I'd be glad to offer my advice. If not, it makes me no difference. I will always offer assistance to new riders and someone with my same specs riding a similar board may benefit from what I have to say. The original questions was "what size boards" and I answered that already.

A boot that is to big will cause more problems than a small foot. My suggestion is this: get the right boots before you tweak anything else. The board isn't to big or to wide, but the boots may be the bane of her riding. I'm betting she'll fit in anything between a 6-7US based on the boot maker.

Last edited by PaintedPony; 02-27-2011 at 10:02 PM.
PaintedPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Member

yes thank you for the advice, i will re-adjust the binding after i get a boot that fits her properly. I originally made sure to messure and center her boots on the board and mounted the bindings based on having her boot centered on the board. She won't ride much more this season so i have time to get her boots and a new board. i will get her boots first. Just want to have board ideas so i can shop for them online.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

great sizing chart for footwear regardless of what measurement system you use. It will give you a general size to start shopping in and then you can adjust from there.

Navy SEALs | aqualung dive gear | fitness training gear | SEAL Fit
PaintedPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member

well these are the 2 narrowest i have found so far
Best Prices On Forum Craft Snowboard 147 - Womens
Best Prices On Forum Star Snowboard 146 - Womens
i might be wrong but it looks like the side cuts are not extream either, pretty similar to most other boards.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
Veteran Member

"Waist width" is a bit of a misleading term. Each company measures it differently - some companies measure at the binding inserts and some at the actual waist, so take those numbers with a grain of salt.

Just go a bit softer or a bit shorter and she'll be fine. Oh, and boots that fit are SO important. Read the sticky at the top of the forum about fitting equipment correctly - lots of good info there.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:25 AM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran Member

hmmm, i will have to check out the companies.

Ya when i bought the boots i had no idea what i was doing (lol its still debatable). i think im gonna sell her whole set up and get her a new one over the summer.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:33 AM   #19 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Bataleon Violenza or Distortia. Super fun and forgiving for her to learn and advance on.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote