Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Board for my wife (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/38103-board-my-wife.html)

Justin 02-26-2011 08:45 PM

Board for my wife

130 lbs, foot size: 23.5 mondo. she can link turns together. Has no real interest in anything but groomers at this point, maybe some pow. The info im most after is board size, although recommendations are more than welcome.

PaintedPony 02-26-2011 10:00 PM

Boards from a 146 to a 152 in many companies would work for her size. It does kind of vary from maker to maker though. She is about my size and I have a NS 147, Burton 152, and Salomon 148. Most beginner-intermediate boards would work for her ability level. A female specific board is nice for the smaller foot size/smaller waist width. I have ridden male boards but there is a difference is the handling of a female board the same length.

lilfoot1598 02-27-2011 12:19 PM

Get her something soft and fun to ride. What kind of snow do you get up there?

Justin 02-27-2011 06:36 PM

thx for input.

we get pretty good snow, pretty dry. we are above western montana. we will get some hard pack but its nothing like the east coast, just wind swept once a month or so. I have her on a ride compact 150 but i know her toes are not close to the edge of the board. We actually just went today and she was riding pretty good, got a boarderline carve a couple of times lol.

PaintedPony 02-27-2011 07:07 PM

The waist on that board should be about a 23.5-24 so if her toes aren't close to the edge check the binding setup. Her weight should put her in the middle of the recommended wt for the board size so I doubt it is to big for her in that respect.

Justin 02-27-2011 07:28 PM

well i could be wrong on this but i think mondo points are just cm. She has a 23.5 foot. so her foot is only as wide as the board at the waist. I have also been informed that ur toes/heal should be at the edge of the board or just over to help apply presure to the board to help turn it (i know you can get away with things not being perfect but if i can do it by selling her current board for close to what i bought it for then i would like to get it right). She does ride it at the center binding spot which measures 25cm, plus she is riding at a 12,-12. Let me know if i am wrong on this info (i have huge feet so i never have a problem being at the edge of the board)

lilfoot1598 02-27-2011 08:02 PM

Oooohh....23.5 Mondo. That's small. I basically wear the same size and it has been a very real problem for me as well. So you're right, it IS much harder to turn a board when your feet don't reach the edges - this is especially true for toeside turns.

Basically there are NO boards out there that will be narrow enough for a boot that size. I have found that the solution is a torsionally soft board that is easier to turn. For me, even mid-stiff boards are too stiff.

It may help to put her on a shorter board as well, since waist widths are narrower on shorter boards. So although a 150 cm board may be ideal, she may find that a 145 NS Infinity (for example) would be stable enough for all-mountain riding, but short enough to manage.

From my own experimentation, I have decided that the Never Summer Pandora is the best "park" board for all-mountain riding. It is very damp, but is still soft and playful. I picked one up this year and I'm loving it.

The Capita Space Metal Fantasy (female version of the Horrorscope) has a very narrow waist and is also a very fun board.

I also owned the Gnu B-street. Great board as well, liked it more than the SMF, but found that it really bounced me around in choppy/rough conditions. The magnetraction is great and it floats well in powder.

How is she doing with boots? Salomon makes some of the smallest sizes out there, if you need some options. Wearing a stiffer boot and binding may help her reclaim some of the responsiveness she'll lose on a softer board.

I hope this helps. It took me quite a bit of experimentation to get the best set-up.

PaintedPony 02-27-2011 08:17 PM

My Feelgood is a 152 and it's at 25cm where the bindings attach. With a size 6 boot (23.5cm) I still don't have problems controlling it. My Sal is the same width and it's a 148, and my NS is 24 at the same location but it's a 147. My boots do not hit the back of the boards. My bindings do, but not my boots. I still suggest checking the binding fit on the board and making sure it's set up properly. My setup has more angle than her's and I still do not have a lot of board extending past my boot front. What bindings and boots is she riding? Can you post pics of the boot in the bindings?

lilfoot1598 02-27-2011 08:34 PM

PaintedPony: A 23.5 MondoPoint DOES NOT translate to a size 6 boot. Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about. I have a 23.5 MP foot, measured at a boot fitter - translates to a size 3.5-4. I wear a size 4 Salomon boot and it's just a smidge too big for me. When I place my bare foot on a board with a small waist, there are INCHES to spare. Trust me, the riding is affected, and it's not the bindings.

lilfoot1598 02-27-2011 09:22 PM

Ughhh...never mind. I don't know what I was thinking - I'm a 21.5 Mondo, which translates to a size 3.5-4. My apologies.

Regardless, if there is a significant amount of space between your bare foot and the edge of the board, turning ability would be sacrificed. If she is having a hard time on a Ride Compact, which is not a stiff board, she will need to experiment a bit.