Powder board vs. Neversummer SL 155? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 09:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Powder board vs. Neversummer SL 155?

My NS SL 155 has been absolutely amazing on local hardpack and groomers, but out West it didn't do so hot in the steep & deep. With gear on, I weigh ~170 lbs and this board tended to sink/cut into the pow rather than keep afloat.

What's the solution?

1. Should I mount my bindings closer to tail without regard for staying centered on the board's progressive sidecut?

2. Buy a powder board...which, and what length? The Capita CharlieSlasher and NS Summit look good. The switch unfriendly Burton Fish and Jones Hovercraft are not as appealing. Burton Malolo ICS is not cool. I'll probably only make it out West once/twice a year.

3. Just demo a powder board during vacations out West (over a week the cost would add up to a new board I think).

Thanks
borborygmii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2011, 10:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Adding a powder specific stick to the quiver = best idea ever.

#1 choice T. Rice hammock

This board is unlike any other I've seen. Hefty price - you get what you pay for.

#2 choice Capita Charlie Slasher

Jimmeny Christmas!?! a sintered base reverse camber pow board for under 400? you cant go wrong.
Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Ride faster in the pow.
Sick-Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'd say just set your bindings back on really deep days...

Even on ridiculously deep days @160ish lbs with gear my '09 151 SL-R can get me through some pretty ridiculous powder. I had snow up to my waist this last week and made it around fine with proper speed...Sure i sink a bit due to the shortness in crazy deep snow, and i gotta lean back a bit on the back foot but its not undo-able...just puts more strain on my legs lol.
If your only going out west a few times a year, i wouldn't bother because your not guaranteed an epic powder day.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

I think you need to just learn to ride the powder, it takes some time. This season is my first season with a reverse camber board Arbor Coda 157 and I noticed a huge difference in the powder, especially in super tight trees I was able to stay on top and much lower rates of speed. Prior too I have been riding a 157 salomon strobe with no issue, I am around 185lb with gear. I would think the SL would be awesome in the powder, I would give it another go before getting a different board. BR
BRsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

I was checking out the next year boards and even tried couple of them at Winter parks. There is a sick one from Salomon coming out next year called the Powder Snake...it has the shape of the Sick Stick and a sintered base but retailing at 400USD. The Charlie Slasher is good too but it has an extruded base.
Actionsportsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'd probably go Charlie Slasher. Here in CO we don't get THAT many days that you'd really benefit from a dedicated pow board, so I'd go with the CS due to cost.

I live in CO, get in about 50 days a year and I don't even have dedicated pow stick. There may be 5 days a year when I wish I did.
linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Thanks for starting this thread. I am also debating a dedicated powder board and that T. Rice is intriguing. Anyone have that board?
Edp25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Zee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I can float a 158 SL-R at 180+pack no problem. It's just a matter of putting a bit more weight on the back. The faster you go, the better it floats. That being said, I have a Summit Split, and it's unsinkable.

Do you have R/C on the SL? If so, with practice you should be able to float it inbounds no problem.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I always set my bindings back on pow days. that's a no brainer to me. also, The T Rice banana hammock is no good at all on groomers. and even on pow days at resorts you're still going to be riding groomer runouts and flats. the banana hammock is pretty much only suitable for backcountry.

I'd look into any reverse camber rocker board. I have the lib skunk ape 165 with banana and mag. It's fantastic in the pow.

also know that you have to ride differently in pow. you have to really lean on that back leg and you should also get a bigger board for pow.
Shocktroop531 is offline   Reply With Quote