recommendation for kid's snowboard gear? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2011, 03:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default recommendation for kid's snowboard gear?

My kid just learned how to link turns, and is very keen to continue snowboarding. I'm thinking of investing in a decent but not too expensive setup for her, likely for next season, so that we can save on rentals. She is currently 60 lbs, 10 years old, but will likely get a bit bigger by next season. What should I be looking for in a kid's setup? Any recommendations on a specific brand? Just by going to local stores like REI, I know Burton makes a lot of kid sized gear, but there's not a lot of variety for us to shop around where we live.

I know this is the board forum, but suggestions on kid's boots/bindings would be welcome, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2011, 06:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Unless you like spending lots of money every year due to growth.... buy whatever is on the biggest sale. Look on ebay even. They have decent combos with board, boots and bindings for $300-400. They have cheaper setups for less.
Argo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Resident poet

cl, swaps, end of season, geartrade, ebay or ask around. At that age she will likely grow every year...just buy used and then sell it when she grows out of it... til she gets through the wild growth spurts that happen from now til 14 or 15....except wait for boots till right before the season or buy new. Around here there are swaps in Oct. that have tons of kids stuff for pretty inexpensive <$200 ...just be first in, know what you want/have a list and grab several things to try...its really a two person job (one to grab stuff and one to help your daughter try stuff). Or some shops have season lease/rental, where you get a pretty good rate on renting for the season. Also see if the local hill is selling their performance rental stuff at the end of the season.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

We tried the local swap for our 9 year-old daughter and were not successful. The gear was pretty worn out, dated, or too close to MSRP to be worth it. We ended up buying from the Burton line at REI and she's been very happy with the gear and has made good progress. We got the Feelgood Smalls v-rocker and it has been easy to learn on, plus she likes how it looks. Her boots were on sale at a significant discount so the total cost wasn't too bad, plus we get that ~10% dividend back for the board/bindings. I think they're pretty much sold out for this season though. Shop early next season, don't cheap out (she's your daughter), get what fits immediately rather than what she might grow into.

Feelgood Smalls V-Rocker Snowboard | Burton Snowboards

Smalls Binding | Burton Snowboards

Edit: on sale at Dick's
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...623689.2623690

Last edited by Toecutter; 02-27-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

Highly recommend the GNU B-Mini...comes in 115, 125, and 135. Had magne traction for easy gripping and banana rocker which helps initiate turns easily.

It's on sale here:

GNU B-Mini BTX Banana Rocker Snowboard - Youth 2011 | evo
vanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

At that age I highly recommend local CL buys if you can find them. In my area kid boards are always being listed at big discounts because they have been outgrown. My son was going through a complete new setup each season. You have to get boots, boards and IMO.

If you want a new board try this site: Buy Snow online snowboard pro shop has snowboards, snowboard binding, snowboard boots and snowboard clothing from burton, volcom, roxy, dc, vans, 686, rome, lib tech, never summer, and more for all your snowboarding needs. Great deals on new boards. The Feelgood board is a nice board but I'm not sure it'll fit her weight. You'd have to check that out and see but I think it starts at 80 or so pounds recommended weight.

If her shoe size is on the lower end of a binding size you might want to spend your money on a nice set knowing she won't outgrow them for a few seasons. I really love my Lexa bindings and you can find a lightly used pair of smalls for under $50 on Ebay.

I have no idea on the best boots since it varies so much person to person.

For kids I recommend pants with adjustable waist straps (velcro adjusters). I also suggest light/medium weight pants a size to big that they can wear layers underneath. Next season those "one size to big" pants will be great in the spring or on warmer days before they are completely outgrown. My son wore Ripzone and Toma's when he was outgrowing things fast. It was nice gear that lasted an entire season and a friend's kid has worn those same pants for two seasons now w/o tearing them up. Nothing fancy, but very effective.

Hope this helps a little.
PaintedPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

thanks for all the suggestions! --mike
Old 02-28-2011, 10:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'm looking at this: Rossignol Scan Snowboard - Kids' at REI.com for $125. I plan on buying now for his May birthday and I'll buy his boots / bindings closer to next winter.

Rossignol Scan Snowboard

Or I may have him lease for another year. Our Sports Authority allows you to lease complete set of used equipment for $89 for the year.
supham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanner View Post
Highly recommend the GNU B-Mini...comes in 115, 125, and 135. Had magne traction for easy gripping and banana rocker which helps initiate turns easily.

It's on sale here:

GNU B-Mini BTX Banana Rocker Snowboard - Youth 2011 | evo
Thinking about picking one of these or a Roxy up for my daughter.
Horsemover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

Default OK, what about boots??

I noticed that there are two types of boots for kids, ones with an inner liner and one without. Aside from the fact that the ones with liners are warmer, is there a fundamental difference between the two in terms of performance? or is it just a size issue (little kid feet are too tiny to make a boot with a liner??).