Binding Suggestions - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2008, 04:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
TR11

Default Binding Suggestions

How is it going everybody. I just registered here to get some advice. I am in need of some new bindings and would like some opinions on some of my choices so far. I have searched over the net as well as using the search on this site w/advanced search.

I research a lot of my stuff before buying it, generally coming to my decision by reading as much user reviews/opinions as I can and going from there, applying it to how I think the issues brought up with a certain product would effect me.

I'll be ordering any binding I choose online. Im from toronto area.

Anyways, to the point.

Current setup:

5'11" 195lbs
CASI Instructor who rides out west twice a year (whistler trip in two weeks, yay), and around 40 times out east a season.
All-mountain freestyle. My airs are usually off natural features. I ride the glades and steeps a lot. Dont ride rails. Enjoy jumps but not in the park.

159 Skate Banana, I know lots of people think this is a park board, but it dominates the entire mountain and is incredibly fast.
Sims Recoil Binding (crap)
Northwave Boots

My current issue with my bindings is the fact that I wrench them down very tight, i like that feeling. But this a) crushes my baby toe of my leading goofy foot and b) makes the bindings really hard to release. I often have to punch the release tabs to get them to release. I bought these online for around $100.

Here are the bindings I've been looking at. Please give me any info you've heard about them as well as personal experience with them. Feel free to suggest the binding you think would suit my style.

You'll get an idea of price range from my listed choices. I started looking last week and these are the choices I've found within my price range and what people have suggested for me.

*edited list*

Burton Cartel
Burton Triad
Burton C02
Union Force
Union Data
Bent Metal Step-in
Ride SPi
Rome 390/Targa

Sorry for the long post, just dont want people thinking its one of those rush decisions where I've put no thought or research of my own in.

Last edited by TR11; 02-12-2008 at 09:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2008, 04:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I would add Ride SPi to your list
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
lost in the ugly trees

I have a pair of burton triads that I got back in December and have ridden a couple days a week all winter. Absolutely amazing bindings. They have super padded straps so you can go as hard as you want and still be cumfy or you can actually loosen them up quite a bit and still have very good control. I really am amazed at how responsive they are when they are only clicked down a few clicks and that also really helps keep your feet from getting tired. They are always cumfy and the highback design is really nice. I really like the lean adjustment on them too. very nice for fine tuning on the trail.
Mysticfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
FrankDaTank089

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Take a good look at the Rome Arsenal, 390 and Targa binding. These things are great bindings and are priced moderately. Of all the bindings I have tried, I find the Rome`s to be the most responsive, comfortable and durable.
good news for me, i just got the targas

and i have a friend who has last years arsenals and loves them to death.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
TR11

thanks for the opinions so far. Ill start looking into the ride and rome bindings online. Locally, people were referring to ride beta's. I havent checked them out enough yet to get an opinion on them. Ill start looking at the romes though. I realize there isnt a miracle binding because rider makes the most difference, but a comfortable binding for a very strong rider is what im after.

Smooth strong ratchets are a must, as i mentioned, my current ones are very hard to undo since i crank on them so hard. But any looser and I dont feel that connected to the binding. They are so hard to undo sometimes, i get a pain down my left side trying to force off the heel strap.
thanks guys
Old 02-11-2008, 11:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

of your current choices, i'd say the cartels, wicked awesome bindings. you might also want to took at the forum republics, they have a little different style of toe cap and are about the same price and stiffness as the cartels. and since your complaining of toe pains, i would really recommend a toe cap. so the companies that use real caps are forum, burton, flux, and technine. and though the romes and rides are very good binding (i'm getting rides new binding next year) there toe straps are the convertible type, go over top or front of boot. they're good for park riders but convertibles over the front don't work as well as caps. i have cartels and like my caps really tight but my ankle straps to be just snug. i actually feel more secure than when i had normal toe straps that i tightened hard and the ankles tightened hard.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634

Last edited by Nivek; 02-11-2008 at 11:47 PM.
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
BoardTard Xtrordinair

Ride....SPi's if you want a stiffer backcountry/bomber binding (they work fine on the jumps etc. too), or any of the movement series (delta, alpha, beta etc.) if you want a more flexible binding for a lot of park action. I have 2 pairs of SPi's and finally broke a toolless adjuster on my first pair which were 05's. Ride is sending me 2 new replacement ones free even though they've been out of warranty for over a year. Ride makes solid bindings and they stand behind their product.

Last edited by Mr. Right; 02-12-2008 at 12:09 AM.
Mr. Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
TR11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
i have cartels and like my caps really tight but my ankle straps to be just snug. i actually feel more secure than when i had normal toe straps that i tightened hard and the ankles tightened hard.
Do you know the lowest forward lean setting on the highback? F1 = what degree? Thats really the only complaint ive heard about the bindings, or the back breaks - although im sure its just some people making a fuss about nothing, comments are comments.

Also, between the bindings with a full toe cap, it looks like the angle of force when you tighten on the burtons pulls more towards the heel than down towards the toe. When fully secured in, can you lift the toe of your boot off your binding bottom plate? This is my only concern about the caps, and its only because im not experienced with them. It just seems full toe caps pull back towards the heel more than securing the toe down to the board... Comments? Thanks for the help too.

Just found out sierrasnowboard.com doesnt accept canadian credit cards. Sucks because they're prices were great.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

^^ TR11, I had those EXACT bindings (actually, had 'em for sale on here too...lol) and I feel your pain. The guy that bought them off me last week, tried 'em on, and said they fit him mint tho!!?! (they used to pinch my feet too), I think the recoils were made for a really bulky boot, cuz they didnt pinch his feet.

In anycase, i upgraded to the 2008 Burton Cartels. so I can offer ya a fair comparison;

The recoils were stiffer. Recoils are actually a very stiff binding, which is great for learning, but bad for finesse. I've been able to ride my board with a lot more finesse and control with the cartels... Cartels are some of Burtons stiffest bindings, and I find them to be perfect, any more flex and I'd be uncomfy while carving.

The toe cap is AMAZING. I'm so sold on it, that I'll never buy/ride another binding without that feature. (I actually JUST ordered a set of Rome 390's for my 'park' setup, and they have the convertible toe cap, I can't wait to try). They pull more down and back on your toes, so you are completely strapped in (there is no lifting of the boot in the binding at all)... and its so comfortable that you dont feel any pressure points on your toes.

Kris
Toronto Prelude Club
kri$han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
TR11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$han View Post
^^ TR11, I had those EXACT bindings (actually, had 'em for sale on here too...lol) and I feel your pain. The guy that bought them off me last week, tried 'em on, and said they fit him mint tho!!?! (they used to pinch my feet too), I think the recoils were made for a really bulky boot, cuz they didnt pinch his feet.

In anycase, i upgraded to the 2008 Burton Cartels. so I can offer ya a fair comparison;

The recoils were stiffer. Recoils are actually a very stiff binding, which is great for learning, but bad for finesse. I've been able to ride my board with a lot more finesse and control with the cartels... Cartels are some of Burtons stiffest bindings, and I find them to be perfect, any more flex and I'd be uncomfy while carving.

The toe cap is AMAZING. I'm so sold on it, that I'll never buy/ride another binding without that feature. (I actually JUST ordered a set of Rome 390's for my 'park' setup, and they have the convertible toe cap, I can't wait to try). They pull more down and back on your toes, so you are completely strapped in (there is no lifting of the boot in the binding at all)... and its so comfortable that you dont feel any pressure points on your toes.
nice, good comparo...

How much stiffer are the recoils than the cartels. Would the C02's be more along the stiffness lines of the recoil? I didnt have a reference point on where the recoils fell into regarding stiffness.
Judging by the comparo - that means they are stiffer than almost all the bindings in my list? Maybe I'll have to buy a couple pairs off backcountry.com and send back what i dont like or something. When a binding is not as stiff, is this in the lateral direction? or heel/toe direction? or both?