Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   parkstar vs park pickle (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/38154-parkstar-vs-park-pickle.html)

rockmonkey95 02-28-2011 02:22 PM

parkstar vs park pickle

hey guys. im a snowboarder in the east and ive been snowboarding for about 3-4 years now. ive decided that i need to buy a board b/c the rentals ive been receiving lately are just terrible. two boards ive looked into are the k2 parkstar and the gnu park pickle. i need a board that can handle the icy conditions of the east but also handle some slopes with powder. i like to freestyle so the board has to be able to hit rails and jumps, but i also like to freeride down the mountain sometimes. I was wondering if someone could help me decide which of the two would be better suited for me...im also open to any other suggestions as well

Rufus 02-28-2011 03:02 PM

I've been riding a Parkstar this season and I like it a lot but I haven't had to deal with icy conditions much. The magne-traction on the Park Pickle would probably be best for you since you're riding east coast ice.

Edp25 02-28-2011 04:12 PM

I have the GNU carbon credit and I bomb black diamonds when they are shear ice. I am surprised at how well it holds an edge at speed. The park pickle is a bit softer and would not be as all purpose, I would think. Hope this helps

danm 02-28-2011 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edp25 (Post 382751)
I have the GNU carbon credit and I bomb black diamonds when they are shear ice. I am surprised at how well it holds an edge at speed. The park pickle is a bit softer and would not be as all purpose, I would think. Hope this helps

Well according to Gnu's site they're both rated the same stiffness for a given size, but I was under the impression that the Pickle was the stiffer of the two.

Edp25 02-28-2011 04:35 PM

It may be the stiffer, I haven't ridden it. I should also mention that I am a small guy at 5'6" and 140 lbs on a 153 carbon credit. I do love the board. Good luck.

rockmonkey95 02-28-2011 05:00 PM

hey im around the same height and weight and i was also wondering what size to get. would 150 be too small?

Edp25 02-28-2011 05:08 PM

I am not sure. I like my 153 as the length gets me just a bit more speed. Three centimeters is just over an inch so problably not much difference. My other board is a Ride Havoc which is much more stiff and a 156. It just likes to go down the hill fast!

The Last Laugh 02-28-2011 05:43 PM

I'm riding a park pickle right now and absolutely love it. I can bomb down black diamonds with ease go right into the park to some rails and boxes as well. I've bombed down a couple of groomed iced blue runs and the magne traction helped out tremendously but the board still felt a little loose but that's probably because of my bindings. I have yet to try it on a really great pow day though even though it's been dumping like crazy in Tahoe :(

Hodgepodge 02-28-2011 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockmonkey95 (Post 382772)
hey im around the same height and weight and i was also wondering what size to get. would 150 be too small?

if you are going to be doing mainly park, you will be fine on a 50...

rockmonkey95 02-28-2011 06:00 PM

how do u think the park pickle compares to the riders choice b/c everything is on sale right now and the original price of the park pickle is around the riders choice now.