Lib Tech TRS Slim, Gnu B-Pro, NS Pandora, NS Infinity... Help please - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 03:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lib Tech TRS Slim, Gnu B-Pro, NS Pandora, NS Infinity... Help please

I've been in the market for a new board recently, and was interested in a Mervin board for the magne-traction. Last week I demo'd a Lib Tech TRS 148 Slim and instantly fell in love. However, I don't really want a board with an extruded base (TNT) so I was looking at some other boards and the Gnu B-Pro popped out at me as possibly having a similar feel but with a sintered base. Can anyone give me an idea of how similar these boards would be? Anyone ridden both?

Also, I really wanted a NS board, so I demo'd a NS Pandora 146 but didn't like it nearly as much as the TRS. I liked how the TRS had more edge control on ice/hard pack and the Pandora didn't feel as damp... I originally wanted to demo the Infinity since it is more my style, but they didn't have my size. How much different is the Pandora from the Infinity?

I'm 5'3", 125 lbs. Advanced Intermediate rider, but don't like park.

Thanks for any help you can give!
irockzmysox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2011, 07:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The Infinity is damper and stiffer than the Pandora. The B-Pro is probably your best best, especially with the C2BTX. The Infinity would be similar to the B-Pro in terms of flex and camber. If you like more aggressive boards, the NS Lotus might also be a good bet. Check out Shayboarder.com for good reviews of most of these boards.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Why do you care about the base?
Lstarrasl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

I ride both the Infinity and the Pandora. Night and day difference. The Pandora is a freestyle board. It's R&C, so it's not a total noodle, but it's damn flexible. And light, too. The Infinity is noticeably stiffer. Just having the boards side by side you can see it. I use the Pandora the most lately as I'm working on switch, presses, and park stuff.

Otherwise, the Infinity is my stick. Holds in every condition. Speedy. Stable. I love it. I've been riding it for three years.

I only bought the Pandora because I wanted to do more park.

I ride a 149 Infinity, and a 143 Pandora.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lstarrasl View Post
Why do you care about the base?
Agree! The difference is NOT as big as people often say! Most people donīt feel the difference except when they know what base they ride.
Burton Idiom
j3n5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

the B-Pro has a sick topsheet this year. that snakeskin texture means you don't even need a stomp pad. however, i've seen two different versions of the topsheet. i've seen a flat and glossy look as well that doesn't have the texture - not sure why that is so and what the difference is.
the board itself is very stiff. i feel like stiff enough that a guy can probably ride it. it is on opposite end of extremes compared with the pandora - which is a freestyle stick.

regarding the comments about the base, that is ridiculous. of course people care about the base. some may not care for their personal preference but others do care and it is a big deal for them. after switching may different boards, i always get this feeling of why in the world is the bottom of this extruded base so sticky, slow and stuck to the snow? sintered base gives this swoosh down the mountain feeling as the snow/water is channeled through the base. there are also different levels of sintered/extruded but there's another topic in this same forum so i won't go into it.
legends6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by legends6spd View Post
regarding the comments about the base, that is ridiculous. of course people care about the base. some may not care for their personal preference but others do care and it is a big deal for them.
Perhaps a little OT but i donīt agree. Of course people care about the base, but no1 is waxing your base. Sintered bases holds wax better (thats why they are softer and less durable) than extruded bases and is a little bit faster if you wax them often and with the right type of wax regarding conditions/temperature. If you donīt wax your board like this an extruded base can be as fast (or perhaps faster) than a sintered base. A sintered base has a lot of small pores to hold wax. In a dry base they stick to the snow like sandpaper.

I do agree about the B-pro. Itīs a great board. Maybe a bit wide if you got small feet. If you like magne-traction and c2 banana, check out Roxy Ollie Pop and Roxy Eminence. TRS/B-Pro/Ollie Pop/Eminence share a lot of features..
Burton Idiom
Old 03-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3n5 View Post
Perhaps a little OT but i donīt agree. Of course people care about the base, but no1 is waxing your base. Sintered bases holds wax better (thats why they are softer and less durable) than extruded bases and is a little bit faster if you wax them often and with the right type of wax regarding conditions/temperature. If you donīt wax your board like this an extruded base can be as fast (or perhaps faster) than a sintered base. A sintered base has a lot of small pores to hold wax. In a dry base they stick to the snow like sandpaper.

I do agree about the B-pro. Itīs a great board. Maybe a bit wide if you got small feet. If you like magne-traction and c2 banana, check out Roxy Ollie Pop and Roxy Eminence. TRS/B-Pro/Ollie Pop/Eminence share a lot of features..
Really? what part of my post do you disagree with you? you basically said a whole bunch of facts that we all already know about sintered base. what did i say that is so disagreeable? and I DO wax my own board and I load it up on wax all the time and my sintered bases are fast as hell. two boards with same amount of recent wax at the same time the sintered comes out faster every single time.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by legends6spd View Post
Really? what part of my post do you disagree with you? you basically said a whole bunch of facts that we all already know about sintered base. what did i say that is so disagreeable? and I DO wax my own board and I load it up on wax all the time and my sintered bases are fast as hell. two boards with same amount of recent wax at the same time the sintered comes out faster every single time.
You are right of course, but thats your preferences. A lot of people donīt know a bunch of facts, thats why they ask questions in forums. A lot of people do not wax their boards on a regular basis. A lot of people think sintered bases are faster with out the extra care. For me, the basematerial is one of the least important parts of my board as long as iīm not racing boardercross... Gaining speed almost never feels like a problem for me, no matter what base iīm riding. Flex, sidecut, waist, effective edge and camber matter so much more. Thats why i think deselecting a board like the T.R.S because of the extruded base is a little bit sorry. Itīs god enough for a Transworld good wood. Good Wood Snowboard Test 2011 Lib Tech TRS But thats just my personal preferences...
Burton Idiom
Old 03-02-2011, 03:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3n5 View Post
You are right of course, but thats your preferences. A lot of people donīt know a bunch of facts, thats why they ask questions in forums. A lot of people do not wax their boards on a regular basis. A lot of people think sintered bases are faster with out the extra care. For me, the basematerial is one of the least important parts of my board as long as iīm not racing boardercross... Gaining speed almost never feels like a problem for me, no matter what base iīm riding. Flex, sidecut, waist, effective edge and camber matter so much more. Thats why i think deselecting a board like the T.R.S because of the extruded base is a little bit sorry. Itīs god enough for a Transworld good wood. Good Wood Snowboard Test 2011 Lib Tech TRS But thats just my personal preferences...
u just agreed with me yet again because in my original post, i clearly said. SOME ppl care about the base. and SOME don't care about the base... and I quote:
"of course people care about the base. some may not care for their personal preference but others do care and it is a big deal for them"

and btw you sounded really good until you brought up Good Wood. As much as we'd like Good Wood, there's so much flaws about it that it should mean very little these days. Please look at other posts about 2011 test and no longer hiding top sheet and other insiders testimonies on the web.