buy a new board now or later? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 12:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default buy a new board now or later?

i've been wondering for a while if it would be cheaper to buy a board now at the end of the season or one at the beginning of the season. which time period has the better sale?
rockmonkey95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2011, 01:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmonkey95 View Post
i've been wondering for a while if it would be cheaper to buy a board now at the end of the season or one at the beginning of the season. which time period has the better sale?
As far as I can see, now is the time. I was going to wait myself but decided against it. Lots of good deals out there. I'm saving about $100. Only reason to wait is if there is some new tech on next year's version of the board you can't live without. Make sure to do some research before you pull the trigger. There's a bit of difference between sales/sites.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I would say 9 out of 10 times you are better off buying a board at the end of the year for the money savings. Usually the only difference is the topsheet. There are a couple of exceptions:

1. You have to be careful about size availability at the end of the year
2. When they do make changes, it's sometimes pretty huge (rocker/camber designs recently)
3. Sometimes the new topsheet is pretty damn rad
Snowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

buy a brand new board at the start of next season and stay away from trusnow or other online stores! help your local board shop out and keep the industry alive
jyuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

what about sites like the-house?
rockmonkey95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

My thought is that the board is pretty important decision and will affect your riding so if you are really into tuning your riding, don't worry about the price. The later you wait, the less sizes are available. You can get like 40% off later on but that's usually the left-overs that no one wants. You can get lucky and be real dilligent about keeping on top of sales but you have to be quick because somewhere, someone will steal from your shopping cart. If it doesn't really matter that much or your dream board is not that popular, then you can wait for deep discounts.

I mean, personally, I don't think the discounts on a board is a significant reduction in the expense of snowboarding. I mean, think aobut it. If you save $100 and you go 10 times, that's like $10 per day. Is it worth $10 to settle for a board you don't really want? Next year, that will be $5 per day. That's like a pizza in the lodge. Unless all you do is street snowboarding...in which case, you prolly want the cheapest possible board no matter what.

Last edited by rasmasyean; 03-03-2011 at 04:13 PM.
rasmasyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

I just got my new 2011 Skate Banana at 40% off (orig $489/ sale $293)!! There are a ton of sales going on at your local surf/skate/snow shops right now, get on it!!
olsen185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

I just saved 50% on a Technine board and bindings, and had a 5% off coupon on top of that on seshday.com. It's sorta like the whiskey militia site but their sales last several days, not minutes. Let me know if you need an invite. 3 days left on the sale.
melonpeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyuen View Post
buy a brand new board at the start of next season and stay away from trusnow or other online stores! help your local board shop out and keep the industry alive
I would do that but my local shop wont order the board i want!
pmoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Most points have been hit here. You can definitely save some money buying end of season leftovers, but I wouldn't let that drive your decision unless you are really hard up for cash (in which case you couldn't afford to snowboard anyway.)

You run the risk of many of the better boards and common sizes not being available. That said, if you do your homework and find gear that is suitable for you and can get a discount, go for it. Just don't let the discount drive your purchase since you won't notice the $ as much as you'll notice riding a board that isn't right for you.
GorgeDad is offline   Reply With Quote