2 brand new burton customs broke - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 11:18 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobeHall View Post
I don't think it's laughable, I mean our economy is crap right now because of those purchases outside of the US, not saying I never purchase something because of where it was made but if I had an option I would hope to get something from the US at a comparable price.
I drive a Nissan, so I'm not a buy US only soldier
SobeHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2011, 11:33 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
I drive a Nissan, so I'm not a buy US only soldier
That's the reality with today's global market.

Everything is global. There is nothing domestic anymore. Especially when it comes to manufactured goods.

That iphone and ipad? It's designed in America. The Ram, CPU, LCD, etc., are made in Korea. It's assembled in China. Nothing is domestic anymore.

Sorry didnt mean to derail this whole thread but people really need to stop thinking that products made elsewhere are junk. Because thats hardly the case and in alot of cases the opposite.
WorstPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:36 AM   #13 (permalink)

I guess the idea was that say for example you buy a foreign product then the place that made it would have more experience and knowledge with the device. If someone from China bought a Ford, they might not get top notch service, some service but not much. If I go to buy a board at the Burton shop they are going to push Burton decks regardless if they think it is a good fit for you or not ... shrug ... this should probably move to the political thread now ... lmao
Old 03-03-2011, 11:39 AM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Member

my whammy bar says its made in austria. Lower end burtons are made in asia, but not the custom.

Anyway, weight is just a guideline. Your nose should not be cracking at all. I have been seeing a lot of burtons cracking on the nose and tail. If i were you, i would get a new one, and sell it brand new on ebay, then buy something else. I mean, your clearly not having any luck.
rgrwilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:39 AM   #15 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
I don't think it's laughable, I mean our economy is crap right now because of those purchases outside of the US, not saying I never purchase something because of where it was made but if I had an option I would hope to get something from the US at a comparable price.
Common misconception that any general economics class will disprove. Imports actually stimulate the economy. The loss of jobs you see aren't from people who purchase foreign products. Quite the contrary at times seeing as how a lot of these foreign brands have plants here in America that assemble the products. That means Americans are employed there, granted a lot are transfers from the home country of the company. Prime example is Mitsubishi. They've had a plant here in America for the longest time. Honda recently came here as well.

Want to know what the real evil is? Outsourcing/off-shoring. While some companies genuinely have to outsource to keep up with their competition (how else can you save large amounts of money in order to charge dirt cheap prices?) like Levis, a lot do it purely to fatten the wallets of top execs. This is a very bad practice. And to be honest, some companies such as Levis outsource the right way. They offered severance pay and free training for their workers to aid in improving their skills so they are more marketable for other fields of work.

If you want affordable products, this practice is needed. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Sorry about my rant, but I absolutely hate when people spread this type of misinformation. I'm all for buying American, but my reasons are very different from yours. I don't do so because I think I'm saving jobs that way, I do it for the quality.

So the better argument would be, "You want better quality? Then buy American." Although we all know that not all American made products are quality just like not all foreign products are. Even then, companies like the Big 3 automakers have plants all over the world so it isn't 100% American which is why I laugh whenever I see that stupid bumper sticker, "Out of a job yet? Keep buying foreign" slapped on one of their automobiles. Especially when they are on the Mazda 3 based Ford Focus.

Misinformation creates misconception.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #16 (permalink)

Leo agreed ... I guess outsourcing was what I should have said ... Wal-Mart being a prime example ... maybe they'll start selling snowboards?
Old 03-03-2011, 12:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Leo agreed ... I guess outsourcing was what I should have said ... Wal-Mart being a prime example ... maybe they'll start selling snowboards?
Yea, I absolutely hate outsourcing/off-shoring, but I do realize that it's a necessary evil. Let's face it, we all want cheaper prices while maintaining the quality. The only possible way to do that is through price cutting within the company's infrastructure. The easiest and most obvious target is payroll. Tons of companies that can very well afford not to outsource do so anyway as evidenced by the insane salaries of top execs.

I saw a history channel show about small businesses that do big thing for their employees and America. There was this one bread factory where the owner had a very unique business structure. Each and every employee down to the bread packers had equal shares in the company. Yes, equal including the owner. Everyone was also paid very well. I can't remember exactly, but one bread packer was making somewhere around $70k a year. This is a general labor employee banking 70k. That's a big deal. The owner also capped his own salary at $100k saying that a man does not need any more than that in the current economy.

If a small business like this can do that, I know for a fact bigger corporations can too. They choose not to. That is the evil part of outsourcing.

You can buy all the American made products you want, but that doesn't mean jack if that company keeps outsourcing all the jobs so Mr. CthisandthatO can own yachts and G6s.

Here's a tip if you really want to impact our economy positively. Forget about buying American. Take it a step further. If an item you need/want was made in your state and is available, purchase it. Purchase locally made products and stimulate your state's economy. That act actually keeps the jobs within your state.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'll tell you this the best factory in the world is in China.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:06 PM   #19 (permalink)

That's why my next deck will be a NeverSummer ...
Old 03-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

To be really honest, outsourcing to an extent helps our economy too. What do you think happens when products are cheaper? More people spend their money.

Just food for thought. The whole "Buy American" thing isn't exactly so black and white.