Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   2 brand new burton customs broke (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/38268-2-brand-new-burton-customs-broke.html)

burtoncustom156 03-03-2011 09:08 AM

2 brand new burton customs broke

i just bought the 2011 burton custom this year, and on my first run in aspen the nose cracked so i sent it back and they gave me a new one, the second time on it the nose cracked on this one, im not sure what to do i like burton alot but i dont want to go threw this again, im just starting to ride the park and trying new things i am 6ft tall and 225lbs and the boards that broke are 156 any input on a new board from burton or any other company would be great.

Leo 03-03-2011 09:20 AM

You are a perfect example of why one shouldn't ride boards that are too small for their weight. You are 225lbs on a 156 Burton Custom that maxes out at 175lbs.

If you overweight an elevator, bridge, or car... something is going to break. Your 225lbs frame on a 156 Custom is stressing the heck out of the board especially when you go into a press of any sort.

If you want to ride a park board that small, go with something more durable like a bamboo core board such as the K2 Fastplant.

If you want to stick with a Custom, the 163 will be better for your weight. You'll only be 25lbs over the max which won't stress out the board nearly as much as being 50lbs over.

Also consider your height coupled with your weight. You have considerable leverage over a 156 as well as being overweight for it. All signs are pointing to bad board sizing than quality.

Seriously, look into the K2 Fastplant. Bamboo is super durable and I've seen big people try to break it by flexing it to no avail.

burtoncustom156 03-03-2011 09:44 AM

thanks for the info loe, that is what they set me up with at the board shop, and when i talked to burton the other day they asked me my hieght and wieght and they said yes that board was in the range for me!!! you got to love it when people just care about the sale! i am really interested in mainly doing park but i would like to stay with a shorter board to beable to throw it around easier.

little devil 03-03-2011 09:50 AM

Buy a never summer.

I hit 230 this year on a 153 revolver and I only really jib with it. No cracks or anything. Shits made to last.

No weight charts for a reason, they don`t make excuses.

Leo 03-03-2011 09:53 AM

You have to realize, some shops and even some CS reps from the brands themselves, just don't care. Make the sale and get you on your way or crank through the customer concerns respectively.

Burton's own spec sheet on their own site says the Custom 156 is maxed out at 175lbs. You should mention that to the rep when you speak to them next. I'm also guessing the shop employee who put you on that board sized you up based on how far the board reaches up your neck/chin/nose. Bad practice and I wish it would just die out.

Anyway, look into the board I recommended. Arbor also makes bamboo cores. You can go 156 with those due to the durability.

If you wait til next season, you should look into the Never Summer Proto CT. You could do the 157. Very durable boards with their Carbonium topsheet. You also get a 3 year warranty with NS boards.

paulage 03-03-2011 10:43 AM

If it's a quality board it should not be getting damaged at your weight and the length you're riding at. Maybe you should see it as a sign to buy something more durable?

that1guy 03-03-2011 10:53 AM

Aren't Burton boards made in China now? I would stick with a board company that is made in the US. Just my own opinion. I like being able to call Mervin if I have a problem with my board. Good luck with your situation.

SobeHall 03-03-2011 11:00 AM

@Leo - Hey man since you seem to know a good bit of info (sorry not trying to steal your thread) I'm 6ft-162lbs and I ride a 157 GNU Hampus Pro ... is that board to big for me or just the right size? I have no issues riding it at all in any condition ...

WorstPlayer 03-03-2011 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by that1guy (Post 384098)
Aren't Burton boards made in China now? I would stick with a board company that is made in the US. Just my own opinion. I like being able to call Mervin if I have a problem with my board. Good luck with your situation.

That's just plain ignorance.

You would like to call Mervin if you have a problem with your board?

You think if you call Burton or K2, you're going to be transferred to some call center rep in China who can't speak a lick of English.

Where do you think your cellphone is made? Where do you think your nice and shiny big screen LED tv is made? Where do you think your durable clothes are made?

Do you really think some slaveshop workers in China are designing the boards?

I'm sure you or someone you know has a nice and shiny iphone/ipad. Guess where they're made. They must be crap then.

This whole "Buy American" mentality is truly ignorant and laughable.

SobeHall 03-03-2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WorstPlayer (Post 384103)
That's just plain ignorance.

You would like to call Mervin if you have a problem with your board?

You think if you call Burton or K2, you're going to be transferred to some call center rep in China who can't speak a lick of English.

Where do you think your cellphone is made? Where do you think your nice and shiny big screen LED tv is made? Where do you think your durable clothes are made?

Do you really think some slaveshop workers in China are designing the boards?

This whole "Buy American" mentality is truly ignorant and laughable.

I don't think it's laughable, I mean our economy is crap right now because of those purchases outside of the US, not saying I never purchase something because of where it was made but if I had an option I would hope to get something from the US at a comparable price.