Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Salomon Drift RC vs K2 Raygun (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/38270-salomon-drift-rc-vs-k2-raygun.html)

Kirin 03-03-2011 11:12 AM

Salomon Drift RC vs K2 Raygun

Hi I've been doing a fair bit of research about what board (my first) to get, and going by what is available, have narrowed it down to these two:
- Salomon Drift (Rocker version)
- K2 Raygun

I want a board that I can learn on, but that I won't grow out of too quickly, and I can keep progressing on for at least a couple of years.

Right now I am leaning more towards the Salomon, partly because I get the impression that it might be a little more versatile and last me longer, but more importantly, because I like the graphics better ;)

Other details:
I'm about 67kg (147pounds) / 176cm (5'9)
Boot size 27.5cm (9.5US)

I want a board that is pretty versatile and I can learn a variety of things on (butters, tricks, small jumps, etc, etc). Not really sure what style of boarder I am yet, but probably will spend most of my time on groomed runs, and maybe try some tricks.

I'm also wondering if it is a good idea to buy now or wait for next season (I will probably only get a chance to go once or twice more this season)....

What do you guys think?
I'm open to other ideas too, but I live in Japan, so some boards aren't available here.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks! :)

Kirin 03-04-2011 12:06 AM

Also wondering which one would be better in icy conditions. Anyone here used both?

gauntlet09 03-04-2011 12:29 AM

Sorry, I know nothing about either of those boards, but I can say that I rode a K2 Fatbob HARD for 13 years and it is still in perfect "riding" condition (cosmetically of course it's a wreck)! Also, I just bought a '10/'11 K2 Slayblade on an "end of season clearance" for 50% OFF at a local shop! :D I'm not sure if it would be more, less or the same come next season, though I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be available at all and I'd be settling for 20-30% off next years model. So unless you research and find out that the '11/'12 model is going to have some new technology/features/graphics that you can't live without, I'd pick one up now.

Matuuh 03-04-2011 12:54 AM

I've heard only good things about the Salomon drift and the equalizer tech should work fine on ice, probably going to get it next year myself.

Kirin 03-04-2011 04:26 AM

Hey, thanks for the advice guys. Everything I've read seems to suggest that they are both pretty solid boards. Haven't read anything bad about either. I'll probably go with whichever I can get for cheaper.

Does anyone know if any details have been released for next year's models yet?

resutoran 03-25-2011 11:28 PM

Salomon Drift ftw!

legends6spd 03-26-2011 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirin (Post 384405)
Also wondering which one would be better in icy conditions. Anyone here used both?

Both of those boards are okay but if you are wondering about icy conditions then I strongly recommend that you move to a MTX board with serrated edges.

For a beginner all around mountain board that allows for progression, try a GNU Carbon Credit BTX