Good and Bad with Rocker? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 12:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Good and Bad with Rocker?

Okay, seriously, I do not want to start a pissing match for camber vs. rocker like that other thread. I honestly just want to get some thoughts on rocker.

I just did some serious riding on a rocker board for the first time last night and had a few observations and wanted to vet them with people that have more experience with camber vs. rocker.

My main board is a 167 GNU 11up (camber, no mtx).

Last night I rode a 160 K2 Raygun with rocker.

Here's what I felt:
1. I liked turning in the tracked pow...it felt a little easier/quicker to turn. although some of this may have been because it was a smaller board.
2. I didn't like it on the hard pack groomer that was a little chunky...harder to hold the edge. It took a little adjusting so it was better after a few runs.
3. It didn't feel as poppy on my ollies of small lips or drops, but did launch me pretty well on jumpst with a lip that carved up.
4. I felt like I stomped my landings a little easier than normal. The snow was soft, which obviously helped, but it almost felt like the rocker was more forgiving.

Do these observations seem about right? I think there is a purpose for both camber and rocker on the hill, but I just wanted to explore my own thoughts on rocker after my first real time on the hill with one.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2011, 01:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

sounds about in line with what everyone says the differences are between camber and rocker boards.
Maybe not #4 but it kind of depends on jump size and what you consider a stomped landing i guess.

This is my first year on a reverse camber board. For the most part the biggest difference i have noticed is increased choppy one ice and hard groomers.
mbesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Different strokes for different folks. I've ridden every kind of variation of alternate camber there is each has its pros and cons.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

1. Agree. A small lean and the board pretty much hooks into the turn instantly. It's "power steering" on a snowboard, according to some reviews.

2. Agree. Because of above, you have to adjust your dynamicism (is that a word) so that you won’t wash out right away. At higher speeds it doesn’t hold an edge as good too.

3. Agree. I felt that “launch advantage” in LITTLE kickers too. I think it has to do with the fact that the rocker floats on fluffy snow better…which is where I found most of my “carved up lips” (natural moguls). Not sure what happens if it’s a hard kicker.

4. Not spin landings. Rocker is more forgiving and will wash out instead of putting you on your face. But if you’re precise and/or going “fast”, camber has better ability to lock onto the direction of travel.

Last edited by rasmasyean; 03-03-2011 at 03:18 PM.
rasmasyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

i tested the K2 Turbo dream with the same type of rocker as Raygun for a day in both fresh snow and icy conditions. It handled pow very nice and floated well (i also rode a size smaller than usual). Turns in pow were easy to initiate. The board felt quite soft but held the edge in icy condition surprisingly well. It was very playful, quite easy to butter and, as you describe Raygun, forgiving in landings. It had decent pop (maybe because of the carbon torsion forks).

Cons was that it felt a little bit unstable at high speed on groomers. I want my board to be aggressive on groomers. K2s all terrain rocker didnt match up. But in every other way it was a really fun board.

Im quite new on rockerboards to. But ive been on cambered boards for at least 18 years. This season i finally gave rockertech a chance and tested several boards. My own conclusion is that rocker is so much more fun! im not planning on going back to regular chamber, my Nitro Gullwing holds an edge as well as most cambered boards. Its stable at high speed to and its fun and forgiving as well. i really cant find any disadvantage over cambered boards if you find a rocker that suits your ridingstyle. Maybe if youre hitting moviesized kickers you need a cambered board to cut your landing, otherwise rocker or hybrid rocker will be more fun if you do more than turning on groomers. And thats my opinion..
Burton Idiom
j3n5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmasyean View Post
4. Not spin landings. Rocker is more forgiving and will wash out instead of putting you on your face. But if youre precise and/or going fast, camber has better ability to lock onto the direction of travel.
Wasn't doing any spins, and I wasn't in the park. It was mostly little lips and drops in the trees. The landings ranged from steep and soft pack to flat and powder.

I have a tendancy to sometimes wash out a little and butt check after hitting a decent jump/drop with speed and then trying to initiate the next turn. It felt a little easier to do that with the Raygun.

Anyway, it was a fun ride for sure. I'm going to have to play around with other rocker variations to see what I may want with my next board.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm LOVING my rocker. Every time I go snowboarding, there's always these moments where I'd be like "Dayum, if I was still on my camber board, I'd have ate BIG shit just now".
Lifprasir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The only rocker design that I've spent meaningful time on is NS's RC. I have been on others, but just a lap or two here and there. Not enough to fairly comment on them.

At first, I thought the RC seemed sketchy on groomers and hardpack. Before, I'd ridden camber exclusively. As I got more comfortable with the RC though, I actually don't feel that way any longer. You just have to lay into it a little harder. It doesn't bite as quick as camber does, but once you lay into it, it holds very well. The biggest thing that opened my eyes to this was doing some tests using my GPS on speed. I picked out a nice empty groomer with a nice drop of about a 1/4 of a mile. The conditions were choppy, but not too bad. I took my RC Evo out first. My best out of 3 runs was 48.5mph. I then grabbed my NS Heritage cambered plank that's an absolute bomber and got a best speed of 51.8mph. Not the huge difference I expected. The main difference between the two was that the Heritage ate up the chops and bumps better giving me the confidence to point it a little harder. Give me a stiffer RC board like the current Heritage and I don't think there would've been any difference.

I agree that RC doesn't seem as poppy, but I ollie like a bitch anyway. Seriously, my efforts are pathetic. I'm getting better but I still suck at it. And I'm a guy who had a 30" vertical in HS.

I agree with you on landing jumps. The RC design is definitely more forgiving. It doesn't absorb the impact as well, but there's less chance of catching an edge leading to a nasty slam.
linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
The only rocker design that I've spent meaningful time on is NS's RC. I have been on others, but just a lap or two here and there. Not enough to fairly comment on them.

At first, I thought the RC seemed sketchy on groomers and hardpack. Before, I'd ridden camber exclusively. As I got more comfortable with the RC though, I actually don't feel that way any longer. You just have to lay into it a little harder. It doesn't bite as quick as camber does, but once you lay into it, it holds very well. The biggest thing that opened my eyes to this was doing some tests using my GPS on speed. I picked out a nice empty groomer with a nice drop of about a 1/4 of a mile. The conditions were choppy, but not too bad. I took my RC Evo out first. My best out of 3 runs was 48.5mph. I then grabbed my NS Heritage cambered plank that's an absolute bomber and got a best speed of 51.8mph. Not the huge difference I expected. The main difference between the two was that the Heritage ate up the chops and bumps better giving me the confidence to point it a little harder. Give me a stiffer RC board like the current Heritage and I don't think there would've been any difference.

I agree that RC doesn't seem as poppy, but I ollie like a bitch anyway. Seriously, my efforts are pathetic. I'm getting better but I still suck at it. And I'm a guy who had a 30" vertical in HS.

I agree with you on landing jumps. The RC design is definitely more forgiving. It doesn't absorb the impact as well, but there's less chance of catching an edge leading to a nasty slam.
I wonder if with that stiffer RC board and more fluffy snow conditions will you be faster because the board might skip the surface more vs. eat the bumps like the camber plank (which prolly slows you down a bit).
rasmasyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
I took my RC Evo out first.
Tangent on the EVO. Did you detune your edges at all Linville? Been reading arguments for and against. Been searching and digging through threads. I just can't decide. I rode 3 days straight on a sharp camber without catching an edge on icepack. I think thats a testimony to my ability and thus is enough to not have to detune R/C.

This site is melting my brain. Too much to think about.