Did I buy wrong?? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 05:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Did I buy wrong??

So I just got my new (first!) snowboard yesterday and all excited I went to try it at a local hill today.... and now I'm wondering what the hell I got myself into!

Background - I started snowboarding last year, went maybe 3 times then and once this year. I rented equipement until now, I was nicely progressing and linking turns and was even considering going on the "blue" trails.

I shopped for boards and after taking the advice of someone who's been in the business (and boarding) for years (he is not the one who sold me a board. He only had a couple women's board left and told me they wouldnt work well for me and was very honest about it and still spent an hour going over different boards with me) I bought a Burton Feelgood.

I got on the bunny hill and it was like day 1 all over again. I kept falling. It goes FAST. Then I'd catch an edge. I got the hang of the edges a bit by the end of the day but I have a LOT of trouble on my toe side and I get scared cause the thing flies and I don't feel I have good control on it.

I had been looking at a Burton Social and a K2 Luna as alternatives, but went for the higher end/more advanced board as I was told it wouldn't be that much harder to get used to, and I have no intentions of hitting the park anytime in the near (and possibly far) future.

Did I get something I'll take forever to handle or is this normal on a new board that is waxed? Is this board out of my capacities and I should promptly retire it to the closet/put it on Craiglist and get something else until I get better??? Or stick with it? The conditions were a little more icy/hard snow today than I've ridden in - is that a big factor too?

Any thoughts appreciated as well as advice as to how to get use to this board if any...

I'm kinda bummed that instead of doing better on something else than the crap rentals I am taking a big step back
Izzy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2011, 05:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

If you've been using rentals up to now, you're faced with this problem with any board you buy that's above a bargain-basement level.

First, you now have a board that's actually been waxed, and doesn't have a base that's hacked to crap. So yeah, it'll go faster. I don't know about that specific board, but if it's a sintered base, then faster still. It actually still has edges, so some catching. The point is, you're probably not suffering from anything specific to the board -- you're most likely suffering from changing to something different from what you're used to, and you don't have enough experience yet to be able to adjust easily. You're going to get that no matter what you buy, at your level. As to how long it'll take to adjust, my guess would be one full day of riding - two at the outside. After that, you'll find yourself being able to do things that you couldn't on the rental board.

Some adjustment time is necessary when you switch to a new board. It gets shorter as you get better, but I don't know if it ever goes away completely.

And yeah, you go faster on ice/snowcrete. And control is sketchier because you have to put more edge on to get control, which beginners don't tend to be good at.

I hate the parts between winter

Last edited by Donutz; 03-04-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Getting a new board is a great excuse to go more to practice. Also, you could search up detuning and take out the bite on the edge around the tip and tail. That might help with the edge catching a bit.
crimsonfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I agree with what both posters said above....you are fine.

It sounds like you are still pretty new to riding so the adjustment might take longer, but it is totally expected. I rode the same crappy board for several years. I was never real serious, but I was pretty good because I had been riding for so long. I started getting more serious and bought a much nicer board and the first few runs were a total shitshow. I too thought, holy crap, what did I buy? But, it wasn't long before I was loving the new board and progressing more than ever before.

another example...just two days ago I borrowed a board with rocker. I have only rocker a few times up to this point and it took me a run or two to feel comfortable.

Take your time and learn on this board and you will be better for it.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

it just takes time getting use to the new board especially since youre new to riding
MistahTaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the reassurance... glad it's not that specific board but new board in general.

Going for the weekend away next week at a slighter bigger resorts, hopefully their snow is a little better and I get back to where I was before! If not I'll look into the edges thing, thanks, didn't know that was an option
Old 03-04-2011, 06:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

detune the tips not the sides, unless if you want to.
MistahTaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

dont know much abt womens boards...but i have a couple women friends with the feelgood...its not really your beginners board. From what they say...its fairly stiff (relative). Thats not the say you can't learn on it...but like everyone else said...just gonna have to get use to it. Its a pretty high end board and its gonna rip compared to rental sticks...once u get the hang of it...you just may fall in love with the speed...heh
jliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you,... uhh, but a dude. Went a couple times, used the rental, loved it enough to invest in my own and didn't do so well the first day. Same thing as you, the board's faster, lighter, and seems to be less forgiving and it felt like a step backwards. Also, it sounds like conditions aren't so favorable. At least where I've been going, there's more melting and re-freezing and not much if any snow making, so it's harder to make nice smooth turns and instead you're chattering and skipping down the mountain. Sections that were bunny-hill slow last time are faster and it's challenging to control your speed. If you stick with it, your skill will start to catch up with the capabilities of the board.
HuskyFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

Well let's hope I don't go crashing into a pole before I get the hang of it !

It sure made for some "artistic designs" on my butt... ouch

I'm going to take it for the weekend to a ski resort and give it a good try, I guess if there is no progress made I'll consider getting something else. Sales are going on for something right?

When you guys say it's "stiffer", does that just mean it's harder to initiate turns? What makes it be faster than another board on the same incline? I don't ever want to be a speed demon, I enjoy cruising down the hills, I made that clear when I shopped for a board but was told this was a good board to buy by all the shops around (even the one that was going to loose a sale on it..).