girls board size question - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 04:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default girls board size question

hey all, looking for a lil input from the more experienced here...my wife started riding this year and is doing awesome...she can bomb down hills linking turns perfectly and even started hitting some jumps and doing awesome...she is 5' even and about 115lbs, maybe up to 125lbs but no more than that(hard to guess womens weight, she is petite and fit though)...when i bought her her board, i put her stats into one of those board calculators and it said she would need a 138-142, so being she was new, i figured the tad longer would be better and got her a 142...now with some of the great deals out there, she really wants this board at the board shop that is a 138...no i know the calculator thing said that would be fine...but in yalls opinion, how would putting her on a 138 after riding a 142 all season effect her riding?
good idea, bad idea?
any input would be appreciated
threej21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2011, 05:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by threej21 View Post
hey all, looking for a lil input from the more experienced here...my wife started riding this year and is doing awesome...she can bomb down hills linking turns perfectly and even started hitting some jumps and doing awesome...she is 5' even and about 115lbs, maybe up to 125lbs but no more than that(hard to guess womens weight, she is petite and fit though)...when i bought her her board, i put her stats into one of those board calculators and it said she would need a 138-142, so being she was new, i figured the tad longer would be better and got her a 142...now with some of the great deals out there, she really wants this board at the board shop that is a 138...no i know the calculator thing said that would be fine...but in yalls opinion, how would putting her on a 138 after riding a 142 all season effect her riding?
good idea, bad idea?
any input would be appreciated
I'm not all that experienced, but I'm about the same size/weight as your wife. I think the board length should be fine. I'm 5'1, 110 lbs, and I'm riding a 138cm board, and will try 145 soon.
cocolulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

If she's comfortable on the board, it shouldn't be an issue. Those online calculators are just suggestions, obviously.

I'm 5'3" 120-125, and I ride a 149 for my all-mountain board and a 143 for my freestyle stick.

Another factor would be how stiff the board is. If it's noodly, it's going to feel a lot different.

If she wants to get into freestyle stuff, the shorter board would do her nicely.

Are you trading the 142 for the 138? Or is this an additional board? If you're keeping the 142, then get the 138, have her see how she likes it, and keep the 142 around for days when she wants a little more length.

I like my 149 for pow and fast riding. I like my 143 for just about everything else.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Lol have you tried asking her for her weight? :P If she's closer to 125, a 138 is way too short especially if she likes bomb down hills. Even at 115, I think a 138 is too short. If she wants the board to play in the park, the length may be okay. Otherwise I suspect it won't be very stable at speed.
unsunken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarCommand View Post
If she's comfortable on the board, it shouldn't be an issue. Those online calculators are just suggestions, obviously.

I'm 5'3" 120-125, and I ride a 149 for my all-mountain board and a 143 for my freestyle stick.

Another factor would be how stiff the board is. If it's noodly, it's going to feel a lot different.

If she wants to get into freestyle stuff, the shorter board would do her nicely.

Are you trading the 142 for the 138? Or is this an additional board? If you're keeping the 142, then get the 138, have her see how she likes it, and keep the 142 around for days when she wants a little more length.

I like my 149 for pow and fast riding. I like my 143 for just about everything else.
thx all for the input..but yes, this, it would be another stick, so your prolly right that it would be good as an addition to her quiver, lol, and not a replacement, it would give her options as to what she prefers...
thx again
Old 03-07-2011, 07:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

138 is very short for anything other than park riding. I weigh 105 and currently ride a 140. I personally wouldn't go any shorter.

What is the board for? What board is she looking at? Tons of deals out there right now, so it may pay to look around...
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

its a 2011 Ride Rapture 138 for like $189......
by next season she will be riding like 60% freeride and 40% park
Old 03-07-2011, 10:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well, my question would be why the hell does she want a Ride Rapture? It's Ride's low-end pricepoint beginner board. There are many better park boards out there.

It was my first board - it got me through my first turns, then I hung it up for something better. It's not a bad board, but it wouldn't be something I'd add to a quiver.

What does she currently ride?
Old 03-08-2011, 04:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

oh, didnt realize that...guess im pretty savvy in the guys boards and not so much in the womens....right now she is riding a 2010 Roxy Sugar
Old 03-09-2011, 07:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Neither are good boards at all. Save the money you would have spent on the Rapture, sell the Roxy, and use the combined money to buy something that she can progress on. Both boards are basic beginner quality, so there is no reason to own both.