Lib Tech or Never Summer - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 12:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Question Lib Tech or Never Summer

Hopefully someone can help me out with a bit of info and maybe some experience. Anyway i have been set on buying the new 2012 T Rice 164.5 when it comes out here in Australia next month, but......I have recently been reading alot about Never Summer boards and now i am starting to wonder if i should be considering buying a Heritage X 163 or 166. Now can anyone tell me which board would be "better" i of course mean what are the differences between the 2 which make you like one better than the other, and pros or cons for me. Either board i buy will be paired with some rome targas.

I am almost 7 feet tall size 13boots and 270lbs just so you know what the board will be supporting. Also i ride mostly freeride (but will try to progress this winter into park), on groomers in Aus and NZ(more powder in NZ though). any specifics between the 2 would be great and i dont want any other suggestions of boards or brands as i have enough to think about already.

Thanks in advance
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2011, 01:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

7' tall and 270 pounds?!

Shouldn't you be trying on some basketball shoes or something??? LOL!

For your sasquatch like size, even a 166 is a little on the small size. You may want to look into the Legacy. It's available in a 170 and 174. I have to think that guys like you are exactly who they had in mind when they made those.
linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
7' tall and 270 pounds?!Shouldn't you be trying on some basketball shoes or something??? LOL!
No, because no one plays that gay fucken game down here. At that weight and height he'd be locking or proping up the corner of a scrum, or running hit ups in League.

If your going to go for a shorter board, then perhaps look at something that is a little more stiffer like the Heritage or the Premier if it suits your ride style. Though i cant vouch for Libtech, Neversummer rides pretty damned well, i got alot of enjoyment out of my SL this year at Ruapehu on the groomers and little bit of pow that i managed to encounter. I did look at the Lib sight for something that might suit...but it was hard to navigate the boards and i got bored.
fattrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

So sorry to offend. Here in the states rugby players are the guys who couldn't make the football team.
linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

... No offence taken. Have fun with your protective pads.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

haha first off i played pro bball for 6 years but now dont hence the snowboarding, also mate im from VIC so id be playing ruck in AFL not rugby even though i do like union, and NFL is pretty damn tough despite the pads, i went to college in Louisiana and im telling you from experience they are some damn big boys playing college football, i can only imagine the NFL size players. (although rugby union is still the toughest game on earth IMO)

Now back to snowboarding, i ride a skunk ape 169 but want something a little shorter so i can start throwing it around a bit more, as i said i was set on the t rice but now i dont know cos everyone is rapping on the never summer, thanks for the input anyway, i was kinda hoping someone had ridden both
Old 03-08-2011, 07:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Fattrav, you could actually see something at ruapehu?
Kose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

I used to ride the T.Rice 157 (last year's model with C2BTX so same as this and next year's in terms of construction) and this year bought a NS Heritage 162 as I was looking for more stability at high speeds. I do believe the longer Heritage is a bit more stable but the things I noticed right off is that it is more playful than the shorter T.Rice and faster edge to edge for sure. I believe the rocker section in the Heritage is more pronounced than the T.Rice which gives it the playful feel...I also think the tip and tail of the Heritage are softer than the T.Rice but have no data to prove that...just my impression of the ride.

I think if you are looking for something to take into the park the Heritage would be the better choice. I find it easier to ride switch and press with than the T.Rice even though it is some 5cm longer.
Grasschopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

I was in the same predicament of deciding between the Skunk Ape, or Legacy. I went with the legacy 174. The thing rocks! I have the same size issues that you have, 6'8", 320 (Played college football, then club rugby. Pads help you hit harder). The legacy has held my weight and feels extremely stable, no problem edge to edge. Don't know about the heritage. Would defiantly recommend Never Summer!
bgmic58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kose View Post
Fattrav, you could actually see something at ruapehu?
Only rode two white outs and one rain day out of the 21ish days that i managed this year. I even got a 4" pow day! Thats a good season for Ruapehu.

OP - Maybe you could buy two SL's and use them as skis?

Last edited by fattrav; 03-08-2011 at 12:06 PM.