Danny Kass vs Park Pickle vs Proto vs DH2 vs Banana Magic - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2011, 06:21 PM   #11 (permalink)

How would you compare the flex between the Banana Magic and the Attack banana?
tribalsounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2011, 10:33 AM   #12 (permalink)

Is the Banana Magic really all that light weight?

I agree, I wish mfg listed the board weights.

I have the '10 Magic and to me, it feels kind of heavy. Maybe its because mine is a 157 and I'd prefer a 154 (didn't make a 154 that year).

With that said, it is an incredible board for how I like to ride (powder, maching down runs, carving, etc.). This year (my first year in CO, moved here about 8 months ago) I plan to get into a little more freestyle, but the all mountain variety. I'd rather drop off a cliff than hit a jump in the park.

I'm never in the park so I can't really comment on how the board works there.
turbospartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:02 AM   #13 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsqueak View Post
Yeah the Park Pickle doesn't really hold a candle to the other boards listed. I have ridden all of the boards that you have listed and the only 2011 board that changes for 2012 is the DH2 (you listed 2.5). For 2012 all DH2's (regular, wide, 2.6 and 2.7) are hybrid rocker. If you are starting to go bigger and spin bigger, you will want a board that can power through a big landing and not wash out.

For what you listed you do, I would rank the boards like this:
1. DH2, tons of pop and can still be pressed out on rails
2. Proto CT, great pop and can still press it out
3. Banana Magic, if you want to spend the coin or are concerned about weight, if not ride the Kass
4. Kass, just because you ridding will be just as good on it than it would be on the Magic and it doesn't have the price tag.
5. Attack Banana, rides well, good pop, but I still like the Kass slightly better.
45. Park Pickle, I could easily find 40 other boards better suited for you than the Pickle...
aparently only 39

FacePlant4Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospartan View Post
Is the Banana Magic really all that light weight?

I agree, I wish mfg listed the board weights.

I have the '10 Magic and to me, it feels kind of heavy. Maybe its because mine is a 157 and I'd prefer a 154 (didn't make a 154 that year).

With that said, it is an incredible board for how I like to ride (powder, maching down runs, carving, etc.). This year (my first year in CO, moved here about 8 months ago) I plan to get into a little more freestyle, but the all mountain variety. I'd rather drop off a cliff than hit a jump in the park.

I'm never in the park so I can't really comment on how the board works there.
The banana magic got HP in 2011, that is why yours isn't as light. I don't know the weight difference between yours and the HP version, but supposedly it is noticeable.
djsaad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:24 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
The banana magic got HP in 2011, that is why yours isn't as light. I don't know the weight difference between yours and the HP version, but supposedly it is noticeable.

I wonder if that is another one of Lib's weird marketing terms... because according to Lib's site, HP means it has: "The Banana Magic Horsepower series is completely Volcanic Organic and features all basalt construction (no traditional fiberglass) BEANs top material, Columbian Gold eco timber core combined with deep sidecuts and “enhanced” banana"

I know the 2010 is 100% basalt BEANs top material (says on the topsheet), and I was fairly certain that the sticker on the base said it had the Columbian Gold eco timber core, but maybe not.

If it didn't, maybe the Columbian Gold eco timber core is making the difference in weight?

In any case... its a great board, but I just never considered it to be "lightweight".
Old 10-26-2011, 04:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You might be right I am not sure if 2010 was the same or not. All I know is when I lifted the T.rice without HP this morning and compared it to the HP version it was a decent amount lighter.
djsaad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

BMagic 2010 - 2012 is unchanged straight from the rep's mouth when I asked at last years test fest. If they did change it, it was minor and of course they didn't advertise it. Lib and their Apple-like secrecy.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:41 AM   #18 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Mervin guys mentioned that they use the Kass as their go-to suggestion for riders who start off their inquiries by saying, "I broke this and this deck last year and..."

They reinforce this one to be a real deal go-huge deck.

With ~63% () big kickers and the rest metal rails, you should spend a little time on the DK at the next demo day in your area.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:04 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
BMagic 2010 - 2012 is unchanged straight from the rep's mouth when I asked at last years test fest. If they did change it, it was minor and of course they didn't advertise it. Lib and their Apple-like secrecy.

Thanks for the confirmation Leo. I was almost certain I had seen a "Columbian Gold Eco Timber" sticker on the bottom of my deck when I first got it... I tried looking for the plastic sleeve my board came in last night, but I think I tossed it.

With that said... You snow-bloggers (Leo, BurtonAvenger, etc.) should start weighing these boards before you put bindings on them.

Then we would know for certain, based on the weight and length, when comparing cross-company.

Example; Banana Magic 157 weighs X, Proto CT 157 (I think it comes in 157 right?) weighs Y, etc.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospartan View Post
With that said... You snow-bloggers (Leo, BurtonAvenger, etc.) should start weighing these boards before you put bindings on them.

Then we would know for certain, based on the weight and length, when comparing cross-company.

Example; Banana Magic 157 weighs X, Proto CT 157 (I think it comes in 157 right?) weighs Y, etc.
Part of the problem with this would be that each manufacture's board/model sizes will not be the same. Grab 10 different models in a 157 (regular width) and you will get about 8 different lengths (tip to tail). It will be minimal differences but add that to a few mm wider and shallower sidecut and you just added 1/2 of a pound to a board.

I understand people will only use it as reference, but people will go crazy with it and "only ride boards that are under 6 pounds" or something. I agree it would be nice to have that info, but only in the hands of rational people...
jgsqueak is offline   Reply With Quote