K2 All Terrain Rocker vs. Mervin C2BTX and Others.... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 10:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default K2 All Terrain Rocker vs. Mervin C2BTX and Others....

I'm a relatively advanced rider. I prefer steep and deep, trees and hitting natural jumps and drops, but I definitely do groomers and the park when there's no pow (only jumps, no rails). I'm in the PNW so I get a decent amount of pow and ice isn't too bad.

I'm 6'4'' 200 lbs, and ride a 167 GNU 11up from a few years ago (camber, no MTX).

I'm definitely looking to get a new board sometime in the near future, but I'm in no hurry. So here's the deal....

I found a 160 K2 Turbo Dream for 40% off at the local shop. It's smaller than my current board, but I rode a 161 Raygun last week and it felt fine. I wasn't planning on buying a board this year, but this is a good deal.

My main question is if I'd be better off waiting and getting a different rocker board that also has some tech on the edges (i.e. MTX or a similar technology). I also found some other good options at another shop for 20% off (they may go lower), including the Skunk Ape, Dark Series, High Life and the Slay Blade.

So I guess my questions is for guys that have experience with these different boards and rocker variations. Am I missing much by going with a great deal in the Turbo Dream? Would I be better off spending more cash and getting that extra edge control along with the rocker?

Thanks! And sorry for the long post....
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I have a review of the Turbo Dream here:

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/equ...eam-390-a.html

Let me tell you this much... this board is awesome in powder. I mean AWESOME! The reason that I am selling mine is twofold:

1) I'm a gear whore

2) I can't give this board what it wants... pow... After riding it in Tahoe and then back here after, I realized that I'm just not getting the most out of this board.

If I was on bigger mountains all the time with good snow, I'd never get rid of it. There are other great pow friendly boards like the HighLife, but the TD does excellent so if you can get a great deal, it's worth it. Hell, it was worth it at full price when I got it
Old 03-08-2011, 06:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Dark Series all day long. You're in the PNW, rep it!

It's the shit, Riding 20+ years. It flys on groomers. Deep Pow, I move my stance back a little and it rides like a dream and can handle anything you can throw at it.

I don't know anything about K2, I'm from the northwest, we ride Mervin.
Lstarrasl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lstarrasl View Post
Dark Series all day long. You're in the PNW, rep it!

It's the shit, Riding 20+ years. It flys on groomers. Deep Pow, I move my stance back a little and it rides like a dream and can handle anything you can throw at it.

I don't know anything about K2, I'm from the northwest, we ride Mervin.
Ha ha! I ride Mervin right now, so I guess "we ride Mervin" holds true for this PNW guy too, but do you realize that K2Sports USA is based in Seattle? I'm sure they manufacture their boards overseas like many companies, but they are a PNW company as well. I know, I know, Mervin manufactures everything here....I'm just trying to figure out the best board for me.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitty34 View Post
Ha ha! I ride Mervin right now, so I guess "we ride Mervin" holds true for this PNW guy too, but do you realize that K2Sports USA is based in Seattle? I'm sure they manufacture their boards overseas like many companies, but they are a PNW company as well. I know, I know, Mervin manufactures everything here....I'm just trying to figure out the best board for me.
I do remember when they were on Vashon Island and moved production to China. Mervin used to be in Seattle too, had to move out to bumfuck egypt. America...Fuck yeah!!!
Old 03-09-2011, 10:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lstarrasl View Post
I do remember when they were on Vashon Island and moved production to China. Mervin used to be in Seattle too, had to move out to bumfuck egypt. America...Fuck yeah!!!
I remember those days when k2 and ride were local, you would see tons of people on fat bobs and eldorado's, and everyone had preston bindings. Then K2 bought Ride and moved production over seas and lost a lot of fans in the seattle area.

how far is bumfuck egypt from sequim? I heard they moved so the employees could be closer to the surf spots on the strait.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walove View Post
I remember those days when k2 and ride were local, you would see tons of people on fat bobs and eldorado's, and everyone had preston bindings. Then K2 bought Ride and moved production over seas and lost a lot of fans in the seattle area.

how far is bumfuck egypt from sequim? I heard they moved so the employees could be closer to the surf spots on the strait.
Sequim is B.F.E.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Here is my thread for a 2010 Lib Tech Dark Series C2 BTX size 161 that I am selling: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MESELX:IT

Amazing board, but, unfortunately, I need to size down.

Last edited by billygold18; 03-14-2011 at 07:34 PM.
billygold18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

well i love my turbo dream, but i can't really compare it to anything else except my old darkstar. the only advice i can offer is that like leo said it's great in the pow, and i wouldn't worry about sizing down. i sized down to a 157 from a 160 darkstar and it still holds an edge great at high speeds while being super maneuverable. i would highly recommend the turbo dream.
ryannorthcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Snag the turbo, its a good board, and if you're saying you don't deal with ice much you don't need MTX.

If you wait till next year or are up for looking a little, my favorite all mountain board to date is the Arbor Coda. Skate the mountain without loosing the ability to bomb like hell. If a certain job does not pan out for me, I will be picking a 2012 one up. Floaty, jibby, jumpy, stable, grippy.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote