Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Looking for Second set of equipment - Suggestions?!?! (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/38508-looking-second-set-equipment-suggestions.html)

Astrogirl 03-09-2011 02:44 PM

Looking for Second set of equipment - Suggestions?!?!

Hey!

So I've been snowboarding for 3 years now, and have been riding on the same equipment:

Board: 2010 Nitro Lectra 142
Bindings: Forum (no clue which kind. probably 2009/2010)
Boots: Burton (may be mens. my bf has the exact same ones. sales person said it was unisex)

This was my beginners set and i believe that i'm good enough to upgrade my equipment.
i am female, 5'6" can handle blacks/double blacks no problem. recently started small jumps and jibbing.
I believe i would like to progress with jumps (and eventually half pipe) and ground tricks (presses, butters, etc).... there are too many different boards/bindings/boots out there and i don't know where to start. was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. It's also kinda frustrating that a lot of your great recommendations are for men's equipment.... was wondering if getting gear for men would make a big difference. please advise. Thanks.

lilfoot1598 03-09-2011 07:27 PM

How much do you weigh? Where do you ride?

You'll probably want a good all-mountain board with some pop.

Consider:
K2 EcoPop
Ride OMG
Arbor Eden or Cadence
Never Summer Infinity
Bataleon Violenza
Burton Feelgood
Roxy Eminence

Astrogirl 03-09-2011 09:05 PM

thanks for the recommendation...i'll look into those boards...what about bindings and boots??

i'm about 130lbs. i live in ontario, canada so i don't have a lot of big mountains to play with. :( the conditions at local "mountains" are usually kinda icy or thin powder
i am planning to go to vermont next year and whistler the year after.

i don't know all the terms and lingo with snowboarding so bear with me...
i think i'm looking for a twin board because i want to learn to ride switch...and my ultimate goal is to do the pipe. since this season is almost over, my goals for next year is to try bigger jumps, jibs, and ground tricks (butters/presses)..i figured these tricks will look extra sexy if i could switch between both legs. :cool:

any tips or pointers? recommendations? any advice will help. thanks!

lilfoot1598 03-09-2011 09:27 PM

Well there is no board that will do all of those things well. A board for jibbing, for example, will be a lot softer than a board that's good in the pipe or on jumps.

A true twin will definitely help with riding switch. Also consider a board with good edge control on ice, since that's what you'll be riding.

You may want a softer board than the ones I listed if you're interested in jibs and ground tricks. My current board may be a good choice: Never Summer Pandora. It grips well on ice and is damp enough to absorb choppy mountain conditions. It is a true twin that's soft, but with enough pop for jumps.

Also check out the Roxy Eminence and the Arbor Cadence. The Capita Space Metal Fantasy is a very fun board - noodly soft for ground tricks and jibs, but still fairly soft all mountain.

StarCommand 03-09-2011 11:50 PM

I second the NS Pandora. :)

For speed and pow, the Infinity is much better. But it's stiffer, so it limits your jibbing capabilities. The Pandora is really great on the ice, though. Then again, so is the Infinity.

I'm riding Burton Lexas right now. I like them. I have been using them in everything from pow to park. They're really light. They fixed the toe cap so it doesn't suck anymore.

I've also heard good things, and was looking at, Rome Madisons before I bought the Lexas.

For park specific stuff, I've heard good things about the men's Ride Contrabands--Don't know how the women's stack up, but I imagine they are pretty similar.

Men's gear would make a huge difference. Men's bindings are wider, so if you want to check out men's bindings, bring a boot with you to check for a good fit. The highbacks are also higher on a men's binding, which isn't designed for women's calves. It doesn't mean you can't rock them, just find ones that fit properly.

Boots are all about fit. Try them on. Try them on. Try them on. I have Nike Zoom Force1s and they are incredibly comfortable. I have never had a boot that didn't give me pain--these don't. My toes will sometimes get numb, but a good wiggle, or loosening the laces for a minute relieves that. I'm not used to lace-up boots so I haven't found the happy medium between too tight and snug enough. The Nike's are a little narrow. But they are really nice. There are a lot of boot options and different lacing systems. Try them out and see what you like best. Spend the dough on good boots. Your feet with thank you.