The 40 Year Old Not-Quite-Virgin - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 09:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default The 40 Year Old Not-Quite-Virgin

Hi everyone. Ive done a lot of reading (50 pages in) on this forum. Its been very helpful but also quite confusing.

The situation: Im an (almost) 40 year old skier who has recently taken up snowboarding? Why? At first because I thought it’s a good way to challenge myself on the mountains here in the NY area while my kids are learning to ski…they don’t present me much challenge anymore on my skiis. Having now done this sporadically over the lest 2-3 years, I found I love the feeling of snowboarding and want to spend a lot more time on a board then on my skis.

Based on this, I feel like its time to buy my own setup. I am 5’7”, weigh about 170 pounds and expect I will be a 10-15 day per year rider at most. As I mentioned, I do most of my riding here on the East Coast, with all of the wonderful implications that has for the conditions – a lot of hard pack, some ice, etc.

I don’t expect do be doing things like Park riding or jibbing (but who knows?). I will definitely be riding groomed trails and would love to be able to follow my kids onto bumps and into the woods – which they already love to do. Over the course of this season I have gotten to the point where I can link my turns and ride reasonably well down intermediate trails (just got back from 4 days at Solitude, Utah – yay!) although they definitely still present me a real challenge and I cant do them with a high degree of confidence.

So, this is where my life story turns into a standard “what should I get” question. Before seeing these forums, I was thinking of a K2 Raygun. But after a bunch of reading here, it sounds like this is not the right choice for someone who is primarily riding here in the East. I then started leaning towards the Gnu Carbon Credit, but a lot of the reading seems to suggest this is more a Park board than a trail riding (and some trees) board. It sounds versatile enough to be a good choice either way, but I started to get confused.

Other boards that sounded interesting:

Gnu Rider’s Choice – is it going to be too advanced for me? Otherwise sounds similar to CC but perhaps more well suited to trail riding?

K2 TurboDream – sounded like a better fit than Raygun for more hard packed and icy conditions, as well as for trails…but too advanced? Also, no magnatraction might be a drawback for me?

Ive also heard suggested the Rossi Taipan or One MagiTeck, the Arbor Code and the Ride Machete, but it didn’t seem like any of those was necessarily any better a fit than the Gnu boards I was considering.

Id love any advice people have on how I should be thinking about this (Id prefer to keep this around $300). Suggestions on Boards and Sizes?

By the way, I was planning on getting K2 Auto Uprise bindings…I had a helluva time getting my toe binding fastened each time off the lift week (seriously, I found myself fiddling with the thing for like 5 minutes before I could get it to catch!) so these sounded like a good solution for me. Open to any thoughts on that as well…

Fire away guys! Im so psyched to get my gear and use it before the winter ends (up at Killington in two weeks!) so please pour it on! Thanks.
lirong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2011, 09:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'd get something with magne-traction (for the ice) and either rocker/camber or early rise tip (for the trees).

Like this:

On sale here:
Rossignol Men's One MagTek Snowboard 2011 - Dick's Sporting Goods

Description here:
ONE MAGTEK RE0NE03 Rossignol :: Pure mountain company

I'm a big fan of K2 bindings.
Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

The Arbor Coda is a pretty killer board, and if you're not into jibbing sounds like something that'd be really good for you. They use something called "Grip Tech" to give you extra contact points and it works VERY well in pretty much anything, including ice. I have heard people say they prefer it over magne-traction because it is less "catchy" than magne-trac.

I have K2 Auto Drones and I love them. I would highly recommend them to anyone, I know the Uprise are some good bindings as well, I don't think you could go wrong with them.
PredaClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toecutter View Post
I'd get something with magne-traction (for the ice) and either rocker/camber or early rise tip (for the trees).
We sound similar in terms of age, riding style and location.

I agree with the above advice to look at a rocker/camber combo board. I've found that it gives you the better of two worlds for icey groomers and trees/moguls. You don't have to go with a significantly shorter board to get the nimbleness in the trees. The rocker (particularly at slower speeds)really allows you to crank out short radius turns without the edge catch that's possible with a cambered board. And you don't have to go with as soft a flex as a cambered board to get this.

Secondly, the cambered tips (like NS's RC Tech) do make the board act like a cambered board on ice and groomers at speed, ie you do get the whole effective edge in contact with the slope when you apply some force to it. I haven't had any issues riding ice on my RC board versus my cambered board. I can see, however, that if you're not flexing the board, then the tips aren't engaged. And then, you're only riding on the edge between your feet and that's going to feel sketchy on ice. That said, I ride ice the same way I did on my cambered board and notice no difference in edge hold. I haven't ridden Magnetraction enough to rave about it, but it's well regarded on this forum for doing what it is hyped to do.

Being an NS fan, I'd say take a look at their lineup, particularly the SL-R, or some of the other brand's rocker/camber combos.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The K2 Turbo Dream is fine for East Coast conditions thanks to Harshmellow, but it truly belongs on powder. It'll be awesome for big mountain trips.

My suggestions:

Rome Agent Rocker - awesome all-mountain board and the camber zones provide good bite for icey/hardpack conditions. The rocker in the middle is real mellow so you don't get that washy feeling at all. It's a mid-stiff board so it is super stable. If you are doing a lot of tree runs, you might want something softer though.

Rome Agent Rocker Snowboard 2011

I would like to highly recommend the Never Summer Proto CT for you if you can wait til it comes out later this year (Septemberish). It's pricey, but well worth every penny. You get a 3 year warranty with it and the Carbonium topsheet on it is super durable. I still don't even have so much as a scratch on it after multiple tree runs and one hard collision with a skier.

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/equ...-proto-ct.html
Old 03-11-2011, 10:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
mjd

Stick with camber on the EK. It'll make you a better rider in the long run. A medium flex board with full or any variation of camber like Never Summer r/c, Lib C2, Yes camrock, etc. Full on magnatraction in my view is horrible- that's a personal preference thing and you'll have to find your way to your own view on that. The mag on the new Travis Rice is totally different and feels good to me as well as the mag on my Jones splitboard and I'm assuming his other boards. It's ridiculously mellow but it works. The mag on the Attack Banana for me was pure hell. You'll have ride a bunch of different boards to see where you stand on these things. Honestly magna doesn't really do anything for me unless I'm out in the back country on some boiler-plated ledge or headwall in survival mode. I think it's more of a marketing thing in the context of lift service riding. Full camber has just as much edge hold if not more. A few of the old timers I know say they don't notice any difference between mag and no mag. These guys live in the mountains and have been riding year in and year out for over 25 years.

Don't buy into gimmicky doo-dad laden products. It's just more crap that will break and get in your way. A simple construction and solid feel like the Union Force or Burton Cartel binder will fit and perform great and will last you for years and will feel better as they break in over time.

You should definitely get the right boots. Try on many many different kinds and then some more. If you're boots are giving you problems all your other gear will feel like crap too.

And lastly don't think about brand names when you're starting out. You'll hear all sorts of great and bad things about this brand or that. You have to block all that out and go with the gear that suits your riding the best and that could be anything. You might think because you're riding a particularly popular board you have the best. But it may also be the worst board FOR YOU.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

So do people think the Gnu CC would NOT be a good choice for me?
Old 03-11-2011, 04:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

By the way, in addition to your thoughts on boards, could you please suggest the size I should be looking for?
Old 03-11-2011, 05:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirong View Post
By the way, in addition to your thoughts on boards, could you please suggest the size I should be looking for?
Don't think in terms of a generic size. Consult the manufacturer's rider weight specs for each board you consider. Try to stay in the middle of the weight range for a given length. Your weight will probably enable you to ride a given board in several different lengths; since you plan to be doing all-mountain riding, it appears, stay with a midlength board, rather than the longest or shortest that you could comfortably ride on a given model.

With a budget of $300, you'll have to buy during off-season pricing (which has gone into effect with most retailers) to get a good board. Still, if you go up to $400 or so, you should have a very good selection.
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirong View Post
Hi everyone. Ive done a lot of reading (50 pages in) on this forum. Its been very helpful but also quite confusing.

The situation: Im an (almost) 40 year old skier who has recently taken up snowboarding? Why? At first because I thought it’s a good way to challenge myself on the mountains here in the NY area while my kids are learning to ski…they don’t present me much challenge anymore on my skiis. Having now done this sporadically over the lest 2-3 years, I found I love the feeling of snowboarding and want to spend a lot more time on a board then on my skis.

Based on this, I feel like its time to buy my own setup. I am 5’7”, weigh about 170 pounds and expect I will be a 10-15 day per year rider at most. As I mentioned, I do most of my riding here on the East Coast, with all of the wonderful implications that has for the conditions – a lot of hard pack, some ice, etc.

I don’t expect do be doing things like Park riding or jibbing (but who knows?). I will definitely be riding groomed trails and would love to be able to follow my kids onto bumps and into the woods – which they already love to do. Over the course of this season I have gotten to the point where I can link my turns and ride reasonably well down intermediate trails (just got back from 4 days at Solitude, Utah – yay!) although they definitely still present me a real challenge and I cant do them with a high degree of confidence.

So, this is where my life story turns into a standard “what should I get” question. Before seeing these forums, I was thinking of a K2 Raygun. But after a bunch of reading here, it sounds like this is not the right choice for someone who is primarily riding here in the East. I then started leaning towards the Gnu Carbon Credit, but a lot of the reading seems to suggest this is more a Park board than a trail riding (and some trees) board. It sounds versatile enough to be a good choice either way, but I started to get confused.

Other boards that sounded interesting:

Gnu Rider’s Choice – is it going to be too advanced for me? Otherwise sounds similar to CC but perhaps more well suited to trail riding?

K2 TurboDream – sounded like a better fit than Raygun for more hard packed and icy conditions, as well as for trails…but too advanced? Also, no magnatraction might be a drawback for me?

Ive also heard suggested the Rossi Taipan or One MagiTeck, the Arbor Code and the Ride Machete, but it didn’t seem like any of those was necessarily any better a fit than the Gnu boards I was considering.

Id love any advice people have on how I should be thinking about this (Id prefer to keep this around $300). Suggestions on Boards and Sizes?

By the way, I was planning on getting K2 Auto Uprise bindings…I had a helluva time getting my toe binding fastened each time off the lift week (seriously, I found myself fiddling with the thing for like 5 minutes before I could get it to catch!) so these sounded like a good solution for me. Open to any thoughts on that as well…

Fire away guys! Im so psyched to get my gear and use it before the winter ends (up at Killington in two weeks!) so please pour it on! Thanks.
Welcome in the club...45 here..stsarted about 6 years ago.
Protctions...getting hurt sucks.
Helmet
Protective gloves
Padded shorts.

I rode a basic RIde control for 5 years..got an Arbor A-Frame for this season...if you ride groomers...and you like a 3g monorail..that's a board. FLies on pow too.
I got the K2 cinch CTX...strap in in 5 secods, no sitting required..priceless.
Try as many boots as you can and find one that fits well...don't save on boots. I got a pair of Burton Driver X..Love them.

Have fun!
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote