Freeride board for advanced rider - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 04:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Freeride board for advanced rider

Hi guys! I am new to the forum and I am quite impressed since I've read some of the threads - there are definitely some dudes here that know what's all about.
My brother will be traveling to the US in two months so I he can bring me a board from there. Here in Europe the prices are so high...
A bit about my self - I am an advanced (not an expert) rider. I've been riding for about 10 years and let's say last 4 - backcountry only. These 4 years I've been riding the 2008 Burton Malolo 162 and I can say only positives when it comes to pow but as I've moved to some really technical riding last 2 years I found there are some cons which I would like to get around with my new board. What I mean by technical riding - some pretty steep ( >40)coluoirs and slopes. Usually avalanche risk in those kind of terrain is quite high so riding in the biggest pow is not the best option. What I wanna say is that I need more balanced freeride board which can perform good on hard-pack as well. I'll mention some options I've been thinking about and my constrains about them. If you can add some other brands/models and critically evaluate their pros/cons it will be highly appreciated!

Burton Suprermodel X
pros: Reasonable price, reviews suggest this board can offer the performance I am looking for.
cons: EST bindings - I'll need to hear really convincing arguments for this system in order to buy bindings(will need advice for Burton bindings, since I don't know them well) as well. However, this is still an option.

Rossignol Experiance
pros: Again it meets my requirements, Magnetraction.
cons: I'm a bit sceptical about the brand, no matter Xavier and Jones were riding for it. (Xavier is still riding this model I think). Prove me I am wrong

Burton T6
pros: Ultimate freeride machine (is it???)
cons: Again EST bindings. However I can take an older version that use the 3D binding system and use my oldschool Drake Podium (which is the best bindings ever - I am riding it from 2001!!! ); The price is a bit too high and I am a bit skeptical about all the innovation it this thing...

LIBtech Travis Rice C2 BTX
pros: Combines Rocker and Camber which I am really curious to try, MT again.
cons: Unreasonably high price...

There are many brands that I just don't have any experience with and I would like to hear about them from you guys - K2, RIDE, GNU, Lamar, Capita, Imperivm, Never Summer, Nidecker and many more.
The price range should be somewhere up to 500$. The length should be around 164. I am around 184 cm (6 feet), 75 kilos (165 pounds)
I am looking for a deal so consider 2010 models as well...
Looking forward for your opinion!
Cheers!
Malolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would think the Never Summer Raptor would be a great choice for you. I have a Heritage, and may get a Raptor next year.

Here's what Vince from NS said to me when I asked him about the Raptor/Summit:

Quote:
I was just thinking if your really looking to compliment your Heritage with a more directional board. I would get a Summit. Then you would have the most kick ass resort board and the ultimate powder porpoise. Also, overhang wouldn't be a big issue in soft snow. If your looking to compliment it with a more directional board that floats awesome but you'll be able to lay some trenches on hardpack, then I would still recommend the Raptor X.
Speaking of Jeremy Jones, how about the Jones Snowboards Flagship? Heard good things about that one too.
kswissreject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswissreject View Post
I would think the Never Summer Raptor would be a great choice for you....Speaking of Jeremy Jones...
Firstly, I doubt to find either the Raptor or the Flagship up to 500 bucks.
Secondly, don't you think that the Raptor being with Rocker design and missing MagneTraction will be not the best choice for hard pack and icy conditions?
All my respect to JJ but I don't see the point to give a small fortune for a board with his name on it...I would go for Nidecker instead...
"The absolute simplicity. That's what I love. When you're climbing your mind is clear and free from all confusions. You have focus. And suddenly the light becomes sharper, the sounds are richer and you're filled with the deep, powerful presence of life..." Heinrich Harrer, 7 years in Tibet
Old 03-14-2011, 04:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

The sales are on right now, I passed by a Jones Flagship for $350 the other day. You know the Jones boards are made from Nidecker, right?
kswissreject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswissreject View Post
The sales are on right now, I passed by a Jones Flagship for $350 the other day. You know the Jones boards are made from Nidecker, right?
Yep, I know. That's why I said Nidecker...
Mentioning the Flagship for 350$ means I'll definitely need some advice for good retailers cuz it appears I am not looking in the right ones. Can you please when suggesting a model include the name of a retailer which is good for this brand and is likely to find a good deal on its website.
"The absolute simplicity. That's what I love. When you're climbing your mind is clear and free from all confusions. You have focus. And suddenly the light becomes sharper, the sounds are richer and you're filled with the deep, powerful presence of life..." Heinrich Harrer, 7 years in Tibet
Old 03-14-2011, 05:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malolo View Post
Hi guys! I am new to the forum and I am quite impressed since I've read some of the threads - there are definitely some dudes here that know what's all about.
My brother will be traveling to the US in two months so I he can bring me a board from there. Here in Europe the prices are so high...
A bit about my self - I am an advanced (not an expert) rider. I've been riding for about 10 years and let's say last 4 - backcountry only. These 4 years I've been riding the 2008 Burton Malolo 162 and I can say only positives when it comes to pow but as I've moved to some really technical riding last 2 years I found there are some cons which I would like to get around with my new board. What I mean by technical riding - some pretty steep ( >40)coluoirs and slopes. Usually avalanche risk in those kind of terrain is quite high so riding in the biggest pow is not the best option. What I wanna say is that I need more balanced freeride board which can perform good on hard-pack as well. I'll mention some options I've been thinking about and my constrains about them. If you can add some other brands/models and critically evaluate their pros/cons it will be highly appreciated!

Burton Suprermodel X
pros: Reasonable price, reviews suggest this board can offer the performance I am looking for.
cons: EST bindings - I'll need to hear really convincing arguments for this system in order to buy bindings(will need advice for Burton bindings, since I don't know them well) as well. However, this is still an option.

Rossignol Experiance
pros: Again it meets my requirements, Magnetraction.
cons: I'm a bit sceptical about the brand, no matter Xavier and Jones were riding for it. (Xavier is still riding this model I think). Prove me I am wrong

Burton T6
pros: Ultimate freeride machine (is it???)
cons: Again EST bindings. However I can take an older version that use the 3D binding system and use my oldschool Drake Podium (which is the best bindings ever - I am riding it from 2001!!! ); The price is a bit too high and I am a bit skeptical about all the innovation it this thing...

LIBtech Travis Rice C2 BTX
pros: Combines Rocker and Camber which I am really curious to try, MT again.
cons: Unreasonably high price...

There are many brands that I just don't have any experience with and I would like to hear about them from you guys - K2, RIDE, GNU, Lamar, Capita, Imperivm, Never Summer, Nidecker and many more.
The price range should be somewhere up to 500$. The length should be around 164. I am around 184 cm (6 feet), 75 kilos (165 pounds)
I am looking for a deal so consider 2010 models as well...
Looking forward for your opinion!
Cheers!
'''

If you like the T6 (as I did) you might like the board I ended up getting too...

That's a 09-10 Arbor A-Frame. If you ride powder and carve groomers after that...you'll love it.
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawlo View Post
'''

If you like the T6 (as I did) you might like the board I ended up getting too...

That's a 09-10 Arbor A-Frame. If you ride powder and carve groomers after that...you'll love it.
10x but you'r not telling me much buddy! Can you please be more specific - what do you like about this board and are there any cons? I don't know anything for this brand And, finally, where can I buy it from now.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malolo View Post
10x but you'r not telling me much buddy! Can you please be more specific - what do you like about this board and are there any cons? I don't know anything for this brand And, finally, where can I buy it from now.
there you go bro:

reviews-arbor-frame
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I can only help with one of the boards you mentioned, the TRice C2BTX. My buddy rode that board yesterday and I rode the Lib Dark Series C2BTX which is pretty similar. It was my first time riding a C2BTX board and I loved it. My buddy liked the TRice as well, but thought it was too stiff. However, based on what you want I'm sure the stiffness is fine...my buddy likes softer boards.

I rode the Dark Series in powder, trees and moguls (no ice though) and it killed everything. I felt much better on the 161 C2BTX than I did on my 167 regular camber board. The edge hold was great, I felt like I could turn faster and it still had nice float in the powder despite being smaller. I weigh 200 lbs so a 161 in powder is small for me.

Lib Tech and GNU are made by the same manufacturer, Mervin Technologies, and both have C2BTX boards. I haven't ridden a ton of the new tech from other companies yet, but I fully endorse those boards for what you are looking for.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

@ pawlo U r the man! 10x bro!!!
@ schmitty34 10x. This advice will come in handy if I choose LIB.

@ All
It appears I am not looking where I should. I can't find great deals. Generally I am looking in The House, Truesnow(ex Sierra), Tactics and Evo. Am I missing some good retailers? I couldn't find nighter The Jones Flagship, nor Arbor A frame in the sites mentioned above. Honestly if I find The Flagship for 350$ I will go for it! This is a true bargain!