Poppin the Cherry: Please Advise - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2011, 10:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Poppin the Cherry: Please Advise

Hey guys, Im a newb. Boarded twice, and really LOVED it. I want some of my own gear, not total newb stuff but something easier to ride that I can grow and advance with.

I am 6 ' 1 and weigh 240 lbs, shoe size 12, I only plan to ride downhill/all mountain (midwest so lots of ice...), maybe play with small jumps, but nothing fancy no parks. Would like to spend around $300 (or less) for board only.

I have been doing tons of research on boards but would like some input from you pros. Two boards have really caught my eye, the NS Raptor, and the GNU Carbon Credit. The raptor is probably out of my price range. I am really lovin the GNU CC, found one that I think is a good fit, 162 Wide, for just about $300. Does anybody have any input about this board? Good choice for my situation?

Any other board suggestions for my situation described?

I also would appreciate some input on bindings...I havent done a whole lot of research on them but would like to spend less than $150 (really want to conserve price here). I might be open to flow style bindings, but probably just want the traditional double strap style.

Anyways thanks to everyone who read this far, I know its a long post.
Slickdilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2011, 11:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You're new to the sport and looking at the Raptor? While I think it is a fantastic board, it's a bit too much for just getting into the sport. It'll ride you. I'd go with the Heritage or SL instead of the Raptor. That is if you still want to go with the Neversummer line.

No experience with the Carbon Credit, but right off hand, I'll say it's a better choice than the Raptor, for you.

Lot's of other members who should be able to give you good advice on a board that will work for where you are at and give you room to grow on.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

the gnu carbon credit is a typical park board. It has magna traction and is reverse camber. If you dont plan on going into the park then this is not the board for you.

I would look into an all mountain board like a Ride Machete or something similar.

if your really trying to do it on the "Inexpensive" (i wont say cheap because theyre very well made) i would look into a blank. I keep a blank in my quiver at all times

www.blanksnowboards.com

(if they dont have your size then shoot them an email)

Last edited by PanHandler; 03-15-2011 at 11:18 AM.
PanHandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanHandler View Post
the gnu carbon credit is a typical park board. It has magna traction and is reverse camber. If you dont plan on going into the park then this is not the board for you.

I would look into an all mountain board like a Ride Machete or something similar.

if your really trying to do it on the "Inexpensive" (i wont say cheap because theyre very well made) i would look into a blank. I keep a blank in my quiver at all times

Blank Snowboards :: Making snowboarding an affordable pasttime

(if they dont have your size then shoot them an email)
The reviews i have read say the CC is a all mountain board. GNU Carbon Credit Series BTX 2011 Snowboard Review

...and looking up ride machette shows its a park board, not sure where you are getting your info.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Not sure if you can...but the most important piece of equipment for me was my season pass...allowed me to ride much more than before. Save on the board and get a pass?
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickdilla View Post
The reviews i have read ....
Wait, you mean that.... you've been reading reviews on this board, on other websites, and not just blindly asking on here?
fattrav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

in the very beginning he says its park oriented. Every review ive ever watched says its park oriented.

Still kinda park oriented, but its stiffer then your average park board. its more of an all mountain freestyle board.
PanHandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattrav View Post
Wait, you mean that.... you've been reading reviews on this board, on other websites, and not just blindly asking on here?
Yea, I have been doing a fairly good amount of research, which is not that easy considering there are a lot of conflicting info out there.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Even though what the others are saying is true, for a beginner into the sport, I think the CC can be a do it all mountain board.

the raptor is not good for you at this skill level.
legends6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm a new boarder too (my 1st season, about 8 trips total so far this season), and I bought a Nidecker Score from my local shop based on limited reviews I could find and recommendations from the guys at the shop. It fit my price range, I heard good things about Nidecker boards, and it is supposed to be a good entry level board. I've ridden it twice now, and I'm really liking it so far.
Swarley is offline   Reply With Quote