Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   K2 Reliability (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/38684-k2-reliability.html)

iturner82 03-15-2011 04:51 PM

K2 Reliability

Well, this year I've been riding a K2 Parkstar. I've been loving it, and it's a phenomenal board, great for big jumps, powder, boxes and rails, you name it. However, on my 3rd time on the board it started to delaminate at the nose. I didn't slam into a rail, and the edges aren't bent, this is proof. So I took it into Sport Chalet, and they fixed it. It went great for about 2 months, and it popped up again. So a few days ago I took it in and sport chalet said there was nothing they could do about it, because it would just happen again. They also said that K2 wouldn't cover it in warranty. (its a 2009/2010 board that I bought new during summer of '10, so I've used it less than a year).

So my question is, can I contact K2 somehow and get a new board?

Is this a common thing with K2 (delamination)?? My old board was K2 and it delaminated too after 3 years. Thanks

TofuSama 03-15-2011 07:38 PM

Definitely contact K2 about it, and in it talk about how this negative impression of their company is leading you to recommend people to avoid their products, or something of the like. Enforcing those types of statements makes it likelier that you'll get a response. I would think that something like this would be covered under their warranty.

iturner82 03-15-2011 07:45 PM

Yeah I sent them an email, waiting to hear from them soon

LJLLJL 03-16-2011 03:39 AM

The warranty should start from the day you buy the board, so it shouldn't matter if you have bought a board from previous seasons - warranty should still be valid if you have used the board less than a year.

legends6spd 03-16-2011 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iturner82 (Post 388903)
Well, this year I've been riding a K2 Parkstar. I've been loving it, and it's a phenomenal board, great for big jumps, powder, boxes and rails, you name it. However, on my 3rd time on the board it started to delaminate at the nose. I didn't slam into a rail, and the edges aren't bent, this is proof. So I took it into Sport Chalet, and they fixed it. It went great for about 2 months, and it popped up again. So a few days ago I took it in and sport chalet said there was nothing they could do about it, because it would just happen again. They also said that K2 wouldn't cover it in warranty. (its a 2009/2010 board that I bought new during summer of '10, so I've used it less than a year).

So my question is, can I contact K2 somehow and get a new board?

Is this a common thing with K2 (delamination)?? My old board was K2 and it delaminated too after 3 years. Thanks

I've had the exact same issue with the same year Parkstar in the past. K2 is also not very helpful unless you go thru their authorized dealers.

BurtonAvenger 03-16-2011 09:32 AM

800-426-1617 call this number you're going to get Cindy or Sally or whatever after you go through the prompts to get to warranty. She's worked with K2 since like 1984 and sounds like she smokes a carton of cigs a day. Be nice to her she'll probably call you "precious" or "darling" on a regular basis through the whole thing but that should mainline your problem. You more than likely broke the cap on the tip from an impact of some kind it happens I've done it without bending the edge. Just be nice and you'll be taken care of.

gauntlet09 03-16-2011 12:41 PM

Many years ago K2 replaced a board for me that was a year past its warranty. I didn't deal with K2 directly, the shop where I bought the board sent it to them. They said "well, it's a year past its warranty, but we'll send it in. You never know..." I got a brand spankin new board!

iturner82 03-16-2011 01:02 PM

"Hi Ian,

I have no way to tell you if its covered or not. Delams that are genuine defects are unheard of. Most are in fact caused by impact whether it be a rail, crash, or simply lift line damage, etc. That’s simply not covered under any manufacturer’s warranty. The dealer is always a good barometer for these things as if they’re a good one, they will usually know what is and is not covered. That said, you can have it sent in by them, but there is probably a better than 99% chance that what they’re telling you is correct."

I sent them an email, and they replied with this. I will try with sport chalet again. What do you think the chances are of them sending me a new board? Because that would be great

iturner82 03-16-2011 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger (Post 389200)
800-426-1617 call this number you're going to get Cindy or Sally or whatever after you go through the prompts to get to warranty. She's worked with K2 since like 1984 and sounds like she smokes a carton of cigs a day. Be nice to her she'll probably call you "precious" or "darling" on a regular basis through the whole thing but that should mainline your problem. You more than likely broke the cap on the tip from an impact of some kind it happens I've done it without bending the edge. Just be nice and you'll be taken care of.

Do you think I should call up K2 and try to get a hold of her, or go through the dealer? Which would help more...like I said, a new board would be the best

linvillegorge 03-16-2011 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger (Post 389200)

This is certainly what you should do. Skip the emails and get direct personal contact and whatever you do, DON'T be a douche! Don't start talking about how K2 sucks and how you're going to drag their name through the mud if they don't take care of you. That will guarantee that you get told to fuck off in nicer terms.

Go with the opposite approach. Talk about how stoked you are on K2 and how you love their shit and always recommend it. To you, K2 IS snowboarding and everything else is bullshit. Maybe don't go that far, but you catch my drift. Sometimes you gotta swallow your pride and hit your knees to get what you want. :laugh:

Companies want to help those who love them and support them, period. They know word of mouth is the best advertising they can get for free.