Need expert advice! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2011, 01:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need expert advice!

Hello all,

I am looking to buy either freeride or all-mountain snowboard. I am about 5'10 220 pounds. I am from Pacific northwest, and I seem to do groomed blue run just fine, but I would like to take it up to next level if possible. I am currently riding freestyle board and whenever I go to bumpy non groomed run, I have a lot of trouble controlling my board. I was looking into GNU rider choice c2btx but I don't know too much about snowboards so any help will be appreciated!
crs0zxs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2011, 03:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

First, ask yourself if it's the board or you. Not being insulting, but riding the roughs is a skill to be learned. I spent all this season working on going off-piste without cratering, and I've got a high-end board.

Mind you, once you've mastered that level of control of the board, it helps with all kinds of other riding including park.

I hate the parts between winter
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

no offense taken!!

I mean it could be me, but the board I am using right now is 155 burton blunt (flex rating of 2 i believe?) and the top sheet and bottom sheet layer came off so I ended up glueing it together. I think i should buy a new board regardless of my skill level since my board was fixed by me! =P
Old 03-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If your fix was decent enough then you should have no problem unless it was on the tail or a really bad separation but if you want a new board by all means buy one.
Smokehaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

believe it or not its on both tails =P yeah.. its time to get new one... question is which.

any help in regards to freeride snowboard for pacific northwest condition would be much appreciated.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I say get a new board. At 220 lbs the 155 blunt is the wrong board for anything besides toying around on groomers and hitting the park. Even then, a 155 is still pretty small for a guy your size. I'm sure you skill is part of the problem, but the board sure isn't helping.

If you are looking to mostly do groomers and some off-pist, I'd say get a board in the mid 160s that has at least a medium flex. It will be way more stable and hold an edge much better.

The riders choice that you mention would be a great board for what it sounds like you want. I've ridden it here in the PNW and it's a nice do everything type of board. There are plenty of other boards that would work as well, but you can't go wrong with the Riders Choice. Pluse, GNU is made by Mervin whish is based in Washington so you're supporting the local company.

If you want to check out other boards, just look at the company websites and start finding other options that fall in the mid-flex, all mountain category. Narrow it down from there and then you should have no problem searching for opinions on specific boards on this forum.

P.S. I am not an expert so keep that in mind.

Last edited by schmitty34; 03-17-2011 at 06:24 PM.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Where do you live BTW?

Some of the shops in the Seattle have decent deals right now. If you're in the Seattle area, go to Snowboard Connection and just tell the guy what you are looking for. They're great at helping you find what you want. They carry both Lib Tech and GNU and likely have a few Riders Choice sticks to choose from.

Sturtevaunts in Bellevue has boards 30% off and had a decent selection left last week....I almost bought one on an impulse.

Last edited by schmitty34; 03-17-2011 at 06:24 PM.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote