What to do with next? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2011, 04:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default What to go with next? New board...

Hi Guys,

So after years (like 12) away from the sport, I got back into it this winter after taking a trip with some friends to the mountain for a friends birthday. I got on an old Burton 159 and after a run or two I was tearing it up, and have since picked up some newer gear and it feels excellent, but not perfect. I have no problem bombing most blue runs in the NorthEast, easily carve heelside/toeside, and am doing small (SMALL) airs, and would like to progress into the park next season. The board I have now is nice and feels alot better than the 159 (plus I love the graphics), but after dealing with the conditions in the NE this winter, I feel like magnetraction or something similar would be nice.. i rarely fall anymore, but when i do its generally catching an edge on that grainy ice garbage .

Anyway, my setup now is a Burton Primo 156, Ride EX Bindings, Burton Ozone boots ... i'm 5'8, 165 and the boots are a 9.5 (sometimes I wear a 10).
I've been looking at a few boards for next season, most notably the Burton Hate Restricted 152, GNU Carbon Credit (153?) and I've been pretty interested in the Never Summer boards.

Oh yea, I also ride regular, +15 front, 0 back foot - but im fairly confident i could ride goofy without a problem since i skateboard/ripstick goofy most of the time, and switch isnt a problem for me

Any suggestions on a board you think I'd like? I want something fun, generally freeride but that I can take into the park also..something with good pop and thatll keep me from catching those random edges and eating shit. I was considering something with reverse camber..possibly even buying one of those blank decks with r/c so i can see how it feels without dropping 400 on one.

Never Summer Evo 153/Restricted ReFlex Cartel
Gnu Danny Kass 156 BTX

Last edited by East告de; 03-17-2011 at 05:06 PM.
East告de is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2011, 06:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

I just picked up a 2011 Arbor Westmark with continuous rocker and Griptech for under $300. Apparently they have good pop, are soft enough for the park yet stiff enough for freeriding and have one of the better r/c designs on the market. I've heard their Griptech is similiar to magnetraction without the catch. The graphics are sweet and the company is environmentally friendly, if that means anything.
outlyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

You shouldn't get a cheap board just to test out the rocker profile. It's only going to tell you if you like/dislike that brand's camber profile. You might hate one brand's rocker, but love another.

If you're looking at Never Summer, two boards come to mind that suit your style:

Proto CT (available for 2012)- You can ride the 154 or 157 fine. 154 for more maneuverability. 157 for more stability. My thoughts on it here:
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/equ...-proto-ct.html

SL - I haven't ridden this yet, but it has the same flex rating with more dampening. It is also a directional twin rather than a true twin. 155 or 158 same reasons as above.

Both boards are all-mountain freestyle. The SL has a bias towards the all-mountain side while the Proto has a bias towards the freestyle side.

Rome Agent Rocker - This one is a little stiffer than the other two. It's a mid-stiff board that is great for charging and has plenty of pop. It's also a hybrid camber like the other two. If you do tons of freeriding with some park jumps here and there, this is another great option for you.

Rome Agent Rocker Snowboard 2011
Old 03-18-2011, 09:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

thanks for the info guys!

it looks like i have a bunch of choices to look into.
you guys pretty much nailed it though..im looking for a fun board that can handle all-mountain and that i can also use to slowly transition more and more into the park.
I think I'd definitely like to go for a shorter board though..I rode my friends 151 and it felt so good - i could really make the board do whatever i wanted.

Never Summer Evo 153/Restricted ReFlex Cartel
Gnu Danny Kass 156 BTX
East告de is offline   Reply With Quote