my board got in a fight with the curb..... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2011, 10:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default my board got in a fight with the curb.....

.....and the curb won

i dunno the first thing about board damage and crap so im hoping somebody from here can help me out.

will this lead to future problems? is there a way to fix it maybe? should i just not care and just ride it like this?

obviously im bummed that a curb took my glory moment of damaging my first board....but whats done is done.

twitter-tastic
tj_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2011, 10:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

i guess ill textualy say ways wrong with it.

the edge is slightly dented, its also starting to peel from the board. the base is now bubled as you can see.

twitter-tastic
Old 03-18-2011, 11:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Alright, I'll ask some starter info first. can you get the base flat like it was originally, and line up the edge with its original location? If you can move it, see if you can find a way to get some epoxy in between the p-tex base/edge and the core. If that's possible, get two wood boards, wrap them in wax paper and clamp them down on the topsheet and base, to hold it in place while the epoxy sets. Definitely make sure you can get this to work before you apply epoxy, but with clamps and some way to make sure the edge goes back to its original shape, it should be doable.

EDIT: Use some good epoxy, go to a hobby store and get their 5-10 minute 2-part epoxy, it's the good stuff.
EDIT EDIT: Make sure you clean the area as much as possible.
TofuSama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

im sure i can get it lined back up, but im not sure as to how i would. theres no way of geting any grip on the edge to undent it(that i can think of at least. if i could get that undented then i could flaten the base for sure. any suggestions on how to undent it? should i just try clamping it and see if that straightens it out?

twitter-tastic
Old 03-18-2011, 11:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'd say try to clamp it as a test to see what the edge does.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

First worry about the board itself, then worry about the edging.

For edging you just need a basic tuning kit. Run over it with a gummy stone and then maybe a few passes with a regular 90 degree edge sharpener/file. That's the easy part.

Clamping the bubble out and getting epoxy in the area is going to be the bigger issue.

Good luck.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I had similar damage about a month ago. First, I cleaned the gash with acetone to clean it, then applied epoxy and used vice grips (not fully tight) with the lower jaw braced against the topsheet (pad it if you want to avoid scratching your topsheet) and used the notches on the upper jaw to pressure the edge back into postion. It has held just fine so far for my riding since. Here is the before and after pic:

Good luck, hope this helps.
herzogone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

kay so, i just got handy with my big vice in the garage. put two blocks of wood wrapped in rags in the vice and the bubbled area between and squeezed while shimmying the board out of the blocks of wood trying to pull the edge back out.

the bubble lessened by alot but the edge isnt budging to much. its better now its close to were it should be, the bubble can barely be seen. think i should try to get it perfect of just quite while im ahead and epoxy it?

twitter-tastic
Old 03-18-2011, 11:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by herzogone View Post
I had similar damage about a month ago. First, I cleaned the gash with acetone to clean it, then applied epoxy and used vice grips (not fully tight) with the lower jaw braced against the topsheet (pad it if you want to avoid scratching your topsheet) and used the notches on the upper jaw to pressure the edge back into postion. It has held just fine so far for my riding since. Here is the before and after pic:

Good luck, hope this helps.

thats a shit ton worse then mine lol. my edge gap was only enough to fit a fingernail in. now its pretty closed, still room to epoxy it.

twitter-tastic
Old 03-18-2011, 11:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Try to get it perfect, but I'll suggest using wax paper as the final layer between the board and the clamps, as epoxy won't stick to wax, so any excess will just stay on the sidewall where you can scrape it off easily.