Looking for a nice Jib board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 08:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking for a nice Jib board

Hey guys,

I'm from germany and I'm new here. Currently I'm riding a RIDE Machete 155cm 11, and I can tell, that it's a really nice board. Makes a lot of fun all over the mountain. It's stiff enough to ride in low powder but soft enough to do some butters and presses. And it's of course a nice board for the park. But now I'm looking for a real jib board to have it easier to do butters and presses, because though the machete is a park board it's difficult to do butters because you have to use much power to bend it. So I thought it would be nice to have a second jib board to play around and have a lot of fun on boxes and on the flatland. So far I read some articles about jib boards and my favourites are the Rome Artifact Rocker, Stepchild Jibstick, Capita Horrorscope FK and the K2 WWW.

But now I need your help to decide which one, if there are some other nice opportunities and what size I should take. I'm 5'11.5 and my weight is 154 lbs, so I'm very light for my height, which makes it more difficult to press and butter. I think for a jib board I should take a shorter board than now, so maybe 150 cm or even less?

Would like to know your opinions about the boards, the length etc.

regards
pr989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2011, 09:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr989 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm from germany and I'm new here. Currently I'm riding a RIDE Machete 155cm 11, and I can tell, that it's a really nice board. Makes a lot of fun all over the mountain. It's stiff enough to ride in low powder but soft enough to do some butters and presses. And it's of course a nice board for the park. But now I'm looking for a real jib board to have it easier to do butters and presses, because though the machete is a park board it's difficult to do butters because you have to use much power to bend it. So I thought it would be nice to have a second jib board to play around and have a lot of fun on boxes and on the flatland. So far I read some articles about jib boards and my favourites are the Rome Artifact Rocker, Stepchild Jibstick, Capita Horrorscope FK and the K2 WWW.

But now I need your help to decide which one, if there are some other nice opportunities and what size I should take. I'm 5'11.5 and my weight is 154 lbs, so I'm very light for my height, which makes it more difficult to press and butter. I think for a jib board I should take a shorter board than now, so maybe 150 cm or even less?

Would like to know your opinions about the boards, the length etc.

regards
Hi PR,

Please let us know your foot size as well. Height is not a factor in board sizing, but foot size matters a lot.

Thanks!
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, you are right. Just forgot to mention that. My size is US 9.5/10, so I have 43.5 EU size
Old 03-19-2011, 10:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Yes, you are right. Just forgot to mention that. My size is US 9.5/10, so I have 43.5 EU size
Perfect, thanks.

Of that group, the Artifact Rocker 153 would be a great choice for what you are after. It is 25 at the waist and 25.9 at the center inserts which is ideal for your foot size. The 150 would work, but you are losing a lot of running surface over your current Machete 155 with no real upside. Lowrise has a longer running length in the same size than Rome's Reverse Jib.

Hope that helps!
Old 03-19-2011, 02:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

So when saying that I would loose much running space, you mean that the 150 could be too fluttery ( can i say that in english? ) ? But as I mentioned that I'm very light and it's really difficult for me to use my weight to bend the board, I thought about taking a shorter one to make it easier!? Why do you think the rome artifact would be the best choice instead of the others?

After the romesnowboards.com website I should take the 150cm because it's for the foot size 10 and weight 110-160 lbs

Last edited by pr989; 03-19-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
So when saying that I would loose much running space, you mean that the 150 could be too fluttery ( can i say that in english? ) ? But as I mentioned that I'm very light and it's really difficult for me to use my weight to bend the board, I thought about taking a shorter one to make it easier!? Why do you think the rome artifact would be the best choice instead of the others?

After the romesnowboards.com website I should take the 150cm because it's for the foot size 10 and weight 110-160 lbs
Hi again,

First off, it is important to note that the Artifact Rocker is a VERY soft board by any standard. Rome calls it "superbuttery" and although We try to stay clear of using flex ratings, I think that all riders would agree that this is a soft flexing model. I mention this because you will not have any trouble flexing the 153 at 154 lbs. 154 is at the higher end of the suggested range for the 150 which would be getting towards the point where it would be overly flexible. You are better centerred in the range of the 153 in both weight and shoe size. Please note that Rome is not calling either of these sizes ideal for size 10, but rather they are saying that size 10 is the largest foot size that they suggest for the 150 or the 153 (the 153 is a bit wider than the 150 and that will help you achieve your desired stance).

I have ridden 3 of the models that you suggested and have liked both the Artifact Rocker and the WWW with the edge going to the Artifact.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I like the Jibstick cause Stepchild is cool. Also they have a better durability record than Rome.

If you're looking for deals on 2011, also look at the Flow Verve and Nitro Swindle.

If you wanna wait, I've been riding the Signal Park Rocker Light lately and it is super buttery, but in an all park size, jumpable. The Zero cam should be even better all park.

You might even like this years Signal Park. Camber, but no carbon, I ride the J.O.E. which is the 150 and it is super good. With carbon for 2012 I expect it to be my favorite park board ever.

Mid soft jibsticks like the Kink, Swindle, Verve and Jibstick go for abouts a 150. For the Softer ones like the Signal, Artifact, WWW, and the likes of the SubPop, go for the 152ish.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

Okay, first of all thanks for the answers.

I guess, as nobody talks about the Capita Horrorscope this won't be any choice?

So you say, that the Rome Artifact and the K2 WWW are very soft boards and the Stepchild Jibstick and the Ride Kink are a bit stiffer than? A friend of mine rides the K2 WWW and I saw how soft it is. For me this was the first time, that i saw a soft board like that and this was extreme. Maybe I get the chance to ride his board for some time.

About the Signal Park I saw a test video on youtube, where they compared 15 jib boards and die Signal Park was under the last 3, because it was too buttery and too "noodle". Do you share that opinion?

How are your experiences of riding over icy slopes with the Artifact and the WWW compared to the (stiffer) Jibstick?

I can say, that for me it's very difficult to butter and press. I always have to use much power and my whole weight to bend my board, so I guess for me it could be easier to use a softer board like the artifact or the www, but as you say in 152 length to have enough running length. But on the other side maybe the Jibstick would be optimal because it's a bit stiffer, which makes it easier on slopes and so i could take it in 150 length to have it easier to bend.

Difficult decision....not that the Jibstick comes to close to my Machete....

What do you think about that thoughts?
Old 03-20-2011, 09:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Okay, first of all thanks for the answers.

I guess, as nobody talks about the Capita Horrorscope this won't be any choice?

So you say, that the Rome Artifact and the K2 WWW are very soft boards and the Stepchild Jibstick and the Ride Kink are a bit stiffer than? A friend of mine rides the K2 WWW and I saw how soft it is. For me this was the first time, that i saw a soft board like that and this was extreme. Maybe I get the chance to ride his board for some time.

About the Signal Park I saw a test video on youtube, where they compared 15 jib boards and die Signal Park was under the last 3, because it was too buttery and too "noodle". Do you share that opinion?

How are your experiences of riding over icy slopes with the Artifact and the WWW compared to the (stiffer) Jibstick?

I can say, that for me it's very difficult to butter and press. I always have to use much power and my whole weight to bend my board, so I guess for me it could be easier to use a softer board like the artifact or the www, but as you say in 152 length to have enough running length. But on the other side maybe the Jibstick would be optimal because it's a bit stiffer, which makes it easier on slopes and so i could take it in 150 length to have it easier to bend.

Difficult decision....not that the Jibstick comes to close to my Machete....

What do you think about that thoughts?
It sounds like you are looking for this to be a dedicated Flatland and Jib board. You already have a more general purpose freestyle model that you seem happy with, so my suggestion is to look for a board that is well sized for you for jib and stay clear of models that are going to be very close to your Machete.

It is not mentioned much, but you can definately go to short and too soft for your specs even for full on Jibbing. You lose speed and wash out of your moves. No fun.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

So basically you think, that I should prefer one out of Artifact, WWW and Signal Park, which are real jib boards instead of taking one out of Jibstick or Kink which come to close to my Machete?