This just baffles me (Board Core Material) - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2011, 09:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Member

does it ever lose its pop?
MistahTaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2011, 10:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The reason i was most interested in this board is because frankly, im not skinny, and i never press super deep or do tail blocks or anything like that because my board will for sure snap, and im not rich so i cant just go out and buy a new board whenever i feel like it. Indistructability would be a huge plus for me, and it would open up alot more riding situations.
PanHandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahTaki View Post
does it ever lose its pop?
everything loses it's pop eventually
Old 03-20-2011, 10:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Member

snapple lids dont,, unless you bend them enough that theyre unpoppable.
PanHandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:31 PM   #15 (permalink)

Maybe bamboo is going to be the standard one day. But I weigh 140 and the features at my mountain aren't exactly huge so breaking boards isn't really an issue for me

I'm confused about what my board (Omatic Extr Eco) is made of. On the board itself it says "OMG Eco friendly-ish recycled base technology with bamboo woodcore" but on Omatics website it says my board has "intelligentcore", which is made of poplar.Anyone know who should I believe, Omatics site or my board?
Inky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post
Maybe bamboo is going to be the standard one day. But I weigh 140 and the features at my mountain aren't exactly huge so breaking boards isn't really an issue for me

I'm confused about what my board (Omatic Extr Eco) is made of. On the board itself it says "OMG Eco friendly-ish recycled base technology with bamboo woodcore" but on Omatics website it says my board has "intelligentcore", which is made of poplar.Anyone know who should I believe, Omatics site or my board?
All the sayings on the board are a joke. They tried to make a green board and every factory they went to kept saying no because they were too busy making eco stuff for other brands. Honestly no matter what we do snowboarding is about as unenvironmentally friendly as you can get.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:40 AM   #17 (permalink)

isn't bamboo also a heavier material than the usual wood core used for snowboards? that could play in a role why more are not using it?
legends6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:58 AM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Tofu boards... awesome.
Music Moves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:52 PM   #19 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Without having ridden a bamboo board, I feel I can describe the difference in pop just based on the reviews I've read here on the forum and other websites.

Bamboo has linear pop. Which is to say that it's predictably even in its release of energy. On a graph it would be a straight ascending diagonal line. Whereas other board materials have non-linear (or exponential) pop. The power delivery would look like a half of the letter "U" on a graph. The boards with carbon fiber rods have even more exponential pop. Classic materials and classic materials incorporating carbon fiber rods/stringers translate into a more "explosive" ollie. Explosive is an exaggeration but I think the idea provides a good illustration of the difference between board cores.

A good analogy is the difference in power delivery and hence 0-60 times in cars that are naturally aspirated, and cars that use super-chargers or turbo-chargers. The acceleration in naturally aspirated cars is even, and would have the same line on a graph as an ollie with a bamboo core. Turbo charged engines have that pause before the power kicks in, then when the power kicks it occurs all at once (and you get thrown back in your seat).

Last edited by phile00; 03-21-2011 at 04:56 PM.
phile00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:39 AM   #20 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I like bamboo cores, but I don't want them in every board that's for sure. Would I like to see more options? Yea, why not?

Keep in mind that bamboo has to be fused together to make things like flooring and snowboards. It's not an easy or cost efficient process. Someone mentioned that it has to be done right and they are correct. This is the biggest issue when one chooses bamboo flooring for their home or business. You need to get a quality made one because when they are bad, they are really bad. As in the pieces of bamboo start separating.

Bamboo does have a flex all its own. The best way I can describe it is that it rides stable, yet flexes when you want it to. So rides like a more stable board, but flexes like a softer one. Pop is good. Not DH2 good, but good.

I agree with everyone. You should demo one before you drop that much cash on it. It's not for everyone. Some companies do hyrbrid cores that incorporate bamboo. Those are good too. K2 has some of those coming out for 2012. Bamboo core boards don't weigh much. Bamboo is light by nature.