This just baffles me (Board Core Material) - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 11:48 AM   #21 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm guessing you people don't realize this but almost every company has Bamboo or Polonia in their cores. It's there just a lot of companies don't market what wood is used because they don't want companies stealing their core constructions. I.e. "ultralight weight mystery wood" yeah bullshit it's polonia with poplar shoved in there to make it strong.

The best thing I've ever heard about being more green and using bamboo in the core construction from any company is from Bob Carlson the owner of Arbor "we use bamboo in our boards because it actually has a benefit the way we do it, a lot of companies are just slapping it in there without knowing what they're doing to claim they're green, if it didn't have a benefit in the process that we use we wouldn't do it." That pretty much sums up a lot of companies working with bamboo.
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2011, 11:54 AM   #22 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Yea, there was also a debate about the "green" factor of bamboo when it comes to flooring. Someone brought up an interesting point that bamboo farms have to be created so that means land for bamboo farming has to be cleared. I forgot the specifics, but something along the lines of the fusing process not being eco-friendly either.

I'll look for it some other time and post a link here.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #23 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
I'm guessing you people don't realize this but almost every company has Bamboo or Polonia in their cores. It's there just a lot of companies don't market what wood is used because they don't want companies stealing their core constructions. I.e. "ultralight weight mystery wood" yeah bullshit it's polonia with poplar shoved in there to make it strong.

The best thing I've ever heard about being more green and using bamboo in the core construction from any company is from Bob Carlson the owner of Arbor "we use bamboo in our boards because it actually has a benefit the way we do it, a lot of companies are just slapping it in there without knowing what they're doing to claim they're green, if it didn't have a benefit in the process that we use we wouldn't do it." That pretty much sums up a lot of companies working with bamboo.
i didnt know that. I was under the assumption that most snowboard cores were made of poplar. honestly if bamboo can make a board that durable i think i can deal with the different feeling of the flex. I already have 2 other boards so i can switch to one of those if i want better pop on random days or whatever. Who knows. My mind might change by next winter anyway.
PanHandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:42 PM   #24 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well the thing with Bambooyah from K2 is that it's not done like any other company that uses bamboo in their cores. There's some seriously insane scientific shit in there. I know how it's done and why it's got the 5 year warranty on it but I really don't feel comfortable saying how they lay it up.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:53 PM   #25 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i assume it has to be some pretty advanced tech in order to make claims like a 5 year warranty. I honestly dont care how its done as long as it works as described. Which it does by all the videos ive seen.
PanHandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #26 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The rep out here took one over to a store in Vail and the guys tried to break it I guess they put it between two saw horses clamped it down and the guy jumped off a ladder onto it. It didn't break but there was a bit more rocker to it.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #27 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The buyer from my work had it demonstrated to her. The rep had everyone try to break it AngrySnowboarder logo style. Threw it off the roof. Ran over it with a truck. Nothing. Still intact. I rode one and flexed it myself. I believe their claim needless to say. I'm sure you can find ways to break it especially with machines, but I don't see this thing breaking from normal (even abnormal) riding.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:16 PM   #28 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
The rep out here took one over to a store in Vail and the guys tried to break it I guess they put it between two saw horses clamped it down and the guy jumped off a ladder onto it. It didn't break but there was a bit more rocker to it.
It's a person that's going to break during one of those demos
phile00 is offline   Reply With Quote