Custom Flying V...? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2011, 09:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Custom Flying V...?

Gday Fellas,

Im planning to buy a new board and bindings and need a little help. I am 511, 70kg (154lbs) and size 10 boots. Im an intermediate rider, mainly on groomed runs and our Australian conditions get a bit icy. I have a 159 board that is fairly stiff, feels too long and is not as agile as Id like. Im looking for a board that is easy to turn and will boost my confidence enough to try some steeper runs.

Im currently looking at getting a 154 Burton Custom Flying V. Ive read, in this forum and elsewhere that some people love this board and some hate it. What do you think? Id like to step up my riding a bit, maybe try to get into a bit of park but not much. Im just looking for a good all round board that I can use in all conditions and will help me push myself further.

Id appreciate any feedback and recommendations.

Cheers,
Steve
Amorphous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2011, 10:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i'd go for a true twin if you want to get into the park later.

Something like an Arbor Westmark 153 would be perfect for your weight. The only reason i say don't go with the custom is that you can get such a better board for the outrageous price of a custom.

Maybe a Nitro Rook, or Nitro T1. NS evo or NS proto CT, forum destroyer all in the size range of 152-154cm would be good for you. k2 parkstar, k2 fastplant. the list goes on and on, pretty much any higher end park board will do just fine for you.

Last edited by twin89; 03-20-2011 at 10:35 PM.
twin89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hey man,

I actually had the oportunity to demo a Custom Flying V this weekend and i was actually impressed with that board. It held an edge really nicely and it had good speed. The board was pretty forgiving and turning felt great. However i felt that this board was a bit on the stiff side... so it's probably not too different from what you're riding now - specially for park. But the board was pretty nice.

Id follow the lines of twin89. He gave some great recomendations and those boards are pretty nice. I don't know all of them but i do know that the K2 Parkstar is pretty flexy if you really plan on spending time in the park. Otherwise take a peak at the K2 Raygun. I rode that board and let me tell you. That board is a beast. It's fast, holds great edge, good flex to it for an eventual park visit and not to mention that the graphics are sick. That board is a rocker so it will be very forgiving on your turns and carving specially if you're venturing out on steeper runs. Check it out man. I think you would like it.
Dialpex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

used my 162w { im 215 lbs with size 12 feet} flying v the past few days in deep powder conditions in the tahoe basin. i used the board sparingly this season prefering to ride my banana magic most days. the tahoe basin has been getting dumped this season and since Thursday porbably about 5 feet of pow. i like the ease at being able to adjust my stance, used 2 inch setback this weekend. all i can say is one of my favorite boards .... i was thinking i was going to buy a bigger board for deep days and after this weekend i dont think i will.
neveo is offline   Reply With Quote