Help me pick my new board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2008, 09:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
DVS TJ

Default Help me pick my new board

This is my first post, so hello to all. I am 23, 6'1", and weight 220. I have been riding for around 10 years now and have always done a lot of downhill stuff. The last year or 2, I really started getting involved in the park scene. I love jibbing and will occasionally hit a kicker, but no 50 footers, local crap hole doesn't have anything bigger than a 20 foot gap. I am in the market for a board to spend days in the park and have narrowed it down to 3, a Ride DH 155, Forum Manual 153, and K2 WWW 155. I don't hit kickers every single second, I actually enjoying playing on rails and boxes the most. Any help I can get helping to decide would be much appreciated. One last thing, I definately want a board to do some buttering with, I am starting to get good at it but need a board with ample flex.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2008, 09:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
BoardTard Xtrordinair

At your weight the VERY smallest I would even consider would be a 155 but I would probably shoot for a 158+/- . I weigh 175 or so and the 153 I usually ride feels like a skateboard under my feet. I kind of like it but I should probably be on a 156 or so with my weight, and you would obviously need something larger.
Mr. Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Right View Post
At your weight the VERY smallest I would even consider would be a 155 but I would probably shoot for a 158+/- . I weigh 175 or so and the 153 I usually ride feels like a skateboard under my feet. I kind of like it but I should probably be on a 156 or so with my weight, and you would obviously need something larger.
Mr. Right is, well...he's got that screen name for a reason.

I weigh 157. I rode a WWW 153 a few weeks ago, and it was like trying to surf on used tampon. Really mussy. I'd stay away from the WWW, especially if your going to be hitting jumps. It wash-out on you real easy. Go for something a bit stiffer. As for board sizes, check the mfg's web sites and their deck specs for recommended rider weights. I doubt you'll find much (any) that is under 155 that will hold up for 200+.

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

sedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
BoardTard Xtrordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedition View Post
Mr. Right is, well...he's got that screen name for a reason.

I weigh 157. I rode a WWW 153 a few weeks ago, and it was like trying to surf on used tampon. Really mussy. I'd stay away from the WWW, especially if your going to be hitting jumps. It wash-out on you real easy. Go for something a bit stiffer. As for board sizes, check the mfg's web sites and their deck specs for recommended rider weights. I doubt you'll find much (any) that is under 155 that will hold up for 200+.
Board size does make a difference. I have 4 boards right now. Not one of them is actually correctly sized for my weight lol. I have a Burton Bullet 164, a Sined Mr. Right 158 (favorite board, but still a hair too big for much freestyle), an M3 Discord 161.5, an an older Option Kevin Sansalone 153. I notice an immense difference even between the 161.5 and the 164 only weighing in at 175lbs, let alone the 158 and 153. A shorter board is great for throwing out spins (although I'm not that great, my 153 is teaching me), tight mogul turns and ollies etc. My 158-164 boards are now used for different levels of powder alone. If you rode my 158 it would be the perfect board for your weight and skill level. If you regularily throw 3's 5's and 7's and hit a good bit of pow 160-162 would probably suit you.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
DVS TJ

That's the thing, I don't hit a lot of jumps. I may hit 1 or 2 during the course of a 5 hour session. It's more rails, and I already have a 158 SL that I ride daily now. I just want something smaller to play in the park with. I am not disagreeing with you guys, so don't think that. It's just hard to spin a bigger board onto and off of rails. Plus, the NS just ins't flexible enough for my liking.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
BoardTard Xtrordinair

Well if you ride a 158 and think you'd be more comforable with a shorter board the smallest I'd reccomend would be a 155, any smaller and you'll start doing cartwheels all over the place. Maybe what you need is a board in a 158 that is very soft and flexible.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
DVS TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Right View Post
Well if you ride a 158 and think you'd be more comforable with a shorter board the smallest I'd reccomend would be a 155, any smaller and you'll start doing cartwheels all over the place. Maybe what you need is a board in a 158 that is very soft and flexible.
I was actually leaning towards the DH at 155, so that helps out a little bit. I am losing weight as much as possible, as I am getting in shape to finish the police academy. So I am sure I will be down to close to 200 by the end of the season. Started out at 245 a few months ago. Any advice between the DH and WWW? Or should I look at something like the Stairmaster that I have heard is a little stiffer at 156?