Help out an old newbie with board sizing - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 02:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help out an old newbie with board sizing

Forgive me for posting the umpteenth thread inquiring about board sizing. My 40-year-old mid-life crisis has manifested itself as the desire to take up snowboarding. I have been living in Colorado the last couple years, so I have been learning. I can handle blues, but I guess I would still consider myself a beginner who needs and wants to get better. I would like to invest in some gear and get more serious about this. I need to get recommendations on the proper size of board.

Male, 5'5", 160 lbs., regular, 8.5 shoe size, interested in free-riding, not really into the park or the pipe.

I rented a 150cm board this past weekend in Breckenridge, which seemed OK, but I think I have used longer boards before.

Your thoughts would be appreciated, as would any recommendations on the brand and model of snowboard (something I can use for a few years to come), boots, and bindings. Thanks.
oasistree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2011, 06:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

generally when advising people on what size to ride, I tell them to ride whatever size they want to ride. there will be advantages and drawback to going with different sizes. However, if you dont know what size you want to ride, then id recommend going with advised size given the rider weight. All snowboard sizes are judged by weight...not so much height. So next time your in your LOCAL SHOP, pick up a board you think you may be interested in and turn it around. There should be a little cheat sheat that will have the board specs. look for the recommended rider weight given the size and that should tell you what size. If your 5'5 buck60 id say you could ride anything from a 154-158. Thats going a little bit bigger for free ride but you get the idea. Hope that helps.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasistree View Post
Forgive me for posting the umpteenth thread inquiring about board sizing. My 40-year-old mid-life crisis has manifested itself as the desire to take up snowboarding. I have been living in Colorado the last couple years, so I have been learning. I can handle blues, but I guess I would still consider myself a beginner who needs and wants to get better. I would like to invest in some gear and get more serious about this. I need to get recommendations on the proper size of board.

Male, 5'5", 160 lbs., regular, 8.5 shoe size, interested in free-riding, not really into the park or the pipe.

I rented a 150cm board this past weekend in Breckenridge, which seemed OK, but I think I have used longer boards before.

Your thoughts would be appreciated, as would any recommendations on the brand and model of snowboard (something I can use for a few years to come), boots, and bindings. Thanks.
I think a lot has to do w/ your ride style. If you are a free rider. go for something 155-159 range. if you are more freestyle and just want to take it easy as you learn and progress, i suggest start 152-155 range and go from there as you get better
legends6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks very much to both of you.
oasistree is offline   Reply With Quote