new snowboarder help - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default new snowboarder help

sup guys, just wanna give a quick "sup", im fairly new to snowboarding (just got started last season), but im getting the hang of it pretty quickly, because i skateboard a lot. can you guys give me an answer to a quick q of mine? im going snowboarding this saturday (fresh snow at mountain high in cali haha), and my uncle's lettin me borrow his neversummer board. ive been using a lot of the rental boards at the mountains (burton) and some at sport chalet (ride), and they seem fairly light to me. the last time i went, i brought my uncle's neversummer with me to ride, but my day ended quickly. the board was surprisingly heavy to me, considering ive been using light rental boards, and i couldnt quite get the hang of turning with the thing. to make a long story short, i fell down due to its unresponsiveness, split my head open, and needed 8 staples to my head. i went one more time after that, using a RIDE from sport chalet, and i learned how to link my turns smoothly, and had some success on the intermediate slopes. so, im going again this saturday, and my question is, should i continue to ride the light rental boards or give another go with my uncle's heavy neversummer board? im thinking about trying jumps and hitting the park this weekend. does it matter how heavy or light a board is for turning, park riding, and jumps and tricks? sorry for the long thread, but thanks to any help in advance. looking forward to joining all you guys on black diamond sometime, haha.
Emerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2011, 09:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerican View Post
sup guys, just wanna give a quick "sup", im fairly new to snowboarding (just got started last season), but im getting the hang of it pretty quickly, because i skateboard a lot. can you guys give me an answer to a quick q of mine? im going snowboarding this saturday (fresh snow at mountain high in cali haha), and my uncle's lettin me borrow his neversummer board. ive been using a lot of the rental boards at the mountains (burton) and some at sport chalet (ride), and they seem fairly light to me. the last time i went, i brought my uncle's neversummer with me to ride, but my day ended quickly. the board was surprisingly heavy to me, considering ive been using light rental boards, and i couldnt quite get the hang of turning with the thing. to make a long story short, i fell down due to its unresponsiveness, split my head open, and needed 8 staples to my head. i went one more time after that, using a RIDE from sport chalet, and i learned how to link my turns smoothly, and had some success on the intermediate slopes. so, im going again this saturday, and my question is, should i continue to ride the light rental boards or give another go with my uncle's heavy neversummer board? im thinking about trying jumps and hitting the park this weekend. does it matter how heavy or light a board is for turning, park riding, and jumps and tricks? sorry for the long thread, but thanks to any help in advance. looking forward to joining all you guys on black diamond sometime, haha.
Is it the right size for you?
KahWhyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Paragraphs bro, nobody can read that shit.
fredericp64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

yea, its the right size. and aight, fred, ill make my question shorter. does the weight of snowboards matter, based on the easiness of turning, park and mountain riding, and flatground tricks?
Old 03-23-2011, 10:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Lots of variables come into play,

The snowboards of today are mostly similar in terms of weight proportionate to their size.

What's going to influence performance are going to be the flex and the size and camber.

Short flexy board will be great for beginners and park rats - quick turns, fast spins and less edge catching so you can try more shit and not eat it. (Generally reversed camber)

While stiff long boards will be good for speed and stability. (Generally cambered or a mix of both reverse and positive Camber)

There's a lot of different techs in snowboards today that make for a varied ride.

Last edited by fredericp64; 03-23-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredericp64 View Post
Lots of variables come into play,

The snowboards of today are mostly similar in terms of weight proportionate to their size.

What's going to influence performance are going to be the flex and the size and camber.

Short flexy board will be great for beginners and park rats - quick turns, fast spins and less edge catching so you can try more shit and not eat it. (Generally reversed camber)

While stiff long boards will be good for speed and stability. (Generally cambered or a mix of both reverse and positive Camber)

There's a lot of different techs in snowboards today that make for a varied ride.

oh, i see. its easier for me to turn on the burton and rides from the rentals, so im guessing they have a bit more torsional flex than the neversummer. whatever, im still gonna try the neversummer one more time, gotta tame the beast, haha. and you guys dont wear helmets, right? ive been fightin with my mom about not wearing a helmet, she doesnt wanna pay 200 for another 8 staples for my head.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Haha what you're new to snowboarding and you have a NS lol? Which one? Consider yourself spoiled bro loll.

NS is supposed to have amazing camber making it real easy to do well.. everything lol

The only thing I'd suspect would be that it might be too big, or you're just not used to it yet.

I wear a helmet because accidents happen, proof of that is the 2 inch crack on my last helmet :P

If you want to progress, than you're going to try tougher tricks and you WILL fall - head to the rail or a bad crash land isn't too cool on the noggin.

Listen to momma.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Haha what you're new to snowboarding and you have a NS lol? Which one? Consider yourself spoiled bro loll.

NS is supposed to have amazing camber making it real easy to do well.. everything lol

The only thing I'd suspect would be that it might be too big, or you're just not used to it yet.

I wear a helmet because accidents happen, proof of that is the 2 inch crack on my last helmet :P

If you want to progress, than you're going to try tougher tricks and you WILL fall - head to the rail or a bad crash land isn't too cool on the noggin.

Listen to momma.

haha, the NS isnt mine, its my uncle's. i usually use the rental boards, but he lets me use his from time to time. my uncle's about the same height as me, so the board size is perfect. i guess i just need to get used to it, ive only used it for like 10 minutes, before i busted my head open.

Last edited by Emerican; 03-24-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

It's not about your height, it's about weight.

Is your uncle a lot heavier than you?

The board might be too long.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
It's not about your height, it's about weight.

Is your uncle a lot heavier than you?

The board might be too long.
the board does seem heavier than the ones i ride. my uncle's not heavier than me, maybe even lighter than me, but i call him a snowboard fanatic, and he's pretty good. on the other hand, im using his board, and i just started linking turns and going on boxes. so i guess its just a matter of getting used to the board.