new to boarding and need board advice plz - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 03:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default new to boarding and need board advice plz

whats up guys

i just decided to make the switch from skiing to boarding and am planning a two week trip for next season. my buddies told me it would be smart to just buy my gear rather then rent it since we go a few weeks every season.

i was just wondering which company you guys would recommend the most as a good board for me to start with. NS, libtech, burton,ride,or salomon. if there are ones better i should look at plz let me know. myt bro said any would do good but if im gonna spend the money i wanna get it right the first time ya know.

thanks for any advice guys

drago
dragunovowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2011, 08:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

How tall are you? How much do you weigh? What size boots do you wear? Where do you plan on riding? I take it you are looking for an all-mountain freestyle board as opposed to something park specific. Have you ever snowboarded before, on rental equipment or with a friend's setup? Are there any boards that spark your interest?

You should start out by researching board technology on sites like this. Get a feel for what's out there and what you are looking for in your first snowboard. I was in the same boat a year ago and ended up buying a board that wasn't well suited to learning. As a result, I bought a second board much sooner than I should have had to. Take your time researching and it will pay off.
outlyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Where are you going first? It might be good to just rent the first few times to make sure you like it and maybe even try out different types of boards. Some bigger resorts rent pretty decent boards. Also, some resorts have demo tents where you can try different boards. It will help you determine the size of board that you want and the type (i.e. stiffness and technology).
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hey I hear you. I am a flat broke nothing, but I know a thing or two about boards.
Now you can go to a site like: Snowboard Buying Guide & Shop - How & Where to buy a Snowboard and they'll help you out for figuring what to take into consideration for the board itself.
You seem kinda concerned as far as brand, as you should be. I personally prefer a Burton (despite them being generally dislike by all the indy riders) but Salomon makes some mean boards too.
Other gear is generally up to personal opinion. I highly recomend getting toe bindings, feel funny at first but they offer crazy more control.
Don't forget your protective equipment, and don't get discouraged when you're starting out. Boarding has a bigger learning curve than skiing. But stay with it. Glad to have you join the cool side
Old 03-24-2011, 08:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlyr View Post
How tall are you? How much do you weigh? What size boots do you wear? Where do you plan on riding? I take it you are looking for an all-mountain freestyle board as opposed to something park specific. Have you ever snowboarded before, on rental equipment or with a friend's setup? Are there any boards that spark your interest?

You should start out by researching board technology on sites like this. Get a feel for what's out there and what you are looking for in your first snowboard. I was in the same boat a year ago and ended up buying a board that wasn't well suited to learning. As a result, I bought a second board much sooner than I should have had to. Take your time researching and it will pay off.
1. im 6"1 220. i where a size 13 boot.
2. i am going back to snowshoe west virgina in jan.for two weeks. and then breckenridge CO. for a week in march.
3. yeah more all mountain and freestyle until i learn how to really ride one then i will buy a park specific board so i will have both.
4.i have never snowboarded before. i ski but am really wanting to switch over.
5. the boards that have got me interested are never summer and lib tech since i have heard they are really good i just dont want to get a board that i can't learn with.

thanks for the advise bro im gonna start researching the different type of boards right now .
Old 03-24-2011, 08:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitty34 View Post
Where are you going first? It might be good to just rent the first few times to make sure you like it and maybe even try out different types of boards. Some bigger resorts rent pretty decent boards. Also, some resorts have demo tents where you can try different boards. It will help you determine the size of board that you want and the type (i.e. stiffness and technology).
my only concern about renting is whether or not i would be wasting money since i will be at snowshoe for around 12-13days and if i rented it would be almost $500. i will definitly take it into consideration though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropShop View Post
Hey I hear you. I am a flat broke nothing, but I know a thing or two about boards.
Now you can go to a site like: Snowboard Buying Guide & Shop - How & Where to buy a Snowboard and they'll help you out for figuring what to take into consideration for the board itself.
You seem kinda concerned as far as brand, as you should be. I personally prefer a Burton (despite them being generally dislike by all the indy riders) but Salomon makes some mean boards too.
Other gear is generally up to personal opinion. I highly recomend getting toe bindings, feel funny at first but they offer crazy more control.
Don't forget your protective equipment, and don't get discouraged when you're starting out. Boarding has a bigger learning curve than skiing. But stay with it. Glad to have you join the cool side
thanks for the post bro i will check into the toe bindings and the site you posted. oh and ill definitly be wearing a helmet haha atleast till i get it down. thanks again guys for your advise im glad to be switching over
Old 03-24-2011, 08:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

buy used from this site that way you can get a whole set up thats 100x better for less than $600. Also get something reverse cambered and you want a wide board thats at least 158cm
gprider_capita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprider_capita View Post
buy used from this site that way you can get a whole set up thats 100x better for less than $600. Also get something reverse cambered and you want a wide board thats at least 158cm
i will checkout the forsale sectionthen. is there a way to know if the board or bindings are messed up before you buy them used? yeah the one size chart said between 161-164cm but im going to peter glens in orlando next week to check with them.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

^ smaller board is better if you get into the park. but usually for used stuff ask for legit pictures of everything with dates on them
gprider_capita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovowned View Post
i will checkout the forsale sectionthen. is there a way to know if the board or bindings are messed up before you buy them used? yeah the one size chart said between 161-164cm but im going to peter glens in orlando next week to check with them.
You will find a nice new board and bindings for less than $500 at Peter Glenn, check out their website. I don't suggest learning on an R/C but that's just my opinion. If you are in it for the long haul I suggest a classic camber. P.G. has a nice selection of Ride, Lib Tech and I think they might actually have an N.S. board or two.

check out this one:
http://www.peterglenn.com/product/ride-machete-wide

Last edited by outlyr; 03-24-2011 at 10:43 PM.
outlyr is offline   Reply With Quote