Capita Quiver Killer vs. GNU Altered Genetics - worth the extra $? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 09:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Capita Quiver Killer vs. GNU Altered Genetics - worth the extra $?

Hey guys, first post here, hoping you can help me out with some advice. This seems like a great community.

years riding: 2
skill: intermediate
style: all mountain (very very little park)
weight: 160
height: 5'9
boot: 10.5
usual board size: 154-156

Hope I'm following the forum rules here. Been renting for a couple years and figured it's time to buy my own ride. I've narrowed it down to these 2 choices because based on what I've been reading about them they suit my riding style. However, the GNU is about $200 more than the Quiver Killer. Both have about the same flex, capita is probably heavier and has traditional camber. AG is lighter hybrid camber w/ that magnetraction (bs?). I also love the graphics on the AG this year :-P

Do you guys have any opinions on the 2? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Probably going to be ordering one of the 2 this weekend. Thanks!

Last edited by icd2k3; 03-24-2011 at 11:45 AM.
icd2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

idk alot about capita but i can tell you the magentraction is no bs, especially for NE conditions. stoked to try my new gnu board out this weekend!

Never Summer Evo 153/Restricted ReFlex Cartel
Gnu Danny Kass 156 BTX
East告de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply! How do you feel about the hybrid camber? the boards I've been renting are soft normal camber so I assume the feel of the GNU will take a bit of getting used to. Worth the extra $200 in your opinion?

Oh also, not sure how much it makes a difference, but I'm looking at bindings such as the Burton Cartels or Rome Targas to pair with it.

Basically I'm looking for a board that I can grow/learn into over the next 4 years or so. Expecting it to throw me around for the first few runs.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Honestly I have no idea how it feels yet since I haven't ridden it. My friend has a skate banana and swears by the magnetraction. I've personally never ridden a reverse cambered board so Saturday will be my test run, but from everything im hearing it should make riding easier, not harder

Never Summer Evo 153/Restricted ReFlex Cartel
Gnu Danny Kass 156 BTX
East告de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icd2k3 View Post
Thanks for the reply! How do you feel about the hybrid camber? the boards I've been renting are soft normal camber so I assume the feel of the GNU will take a bit of getting used to. Worth the extra $200 in your opinion?

Oh also, not sure how much it makes a difference, but I'm looking at bindings such as the Burton Cartels or Rome Targas to pair with it.

Basically I'm looking for a board that I can grow/learn into over the next 4 years or so. Expecting it to throw me around for the first few runs.
I ride a camber board right now, but I rode lib's C2BTX (the same as what the AG has) a few weekends ago and loved it. The magnatraction works real well, and the C2 hybrid seems to give you the benefits of both camber and rocker.

I don't know anything about the Capita, but I know GNU makes good boards (I've been riding one for a few years now) and the magna will be great for the east coast ice.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

thanks for the info. The GNU AG sounds like a winner. In terms of sizing... should 155 be ok for me (160lbs, 5'9, 10 boot)? I like playing around on the mountain a bit, not bombing it all the time.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icd2k3 View Post

I rode 1.5 seasons on a stiff camber board (Technine Split-T ... hey it was cheap!) and jumped onto a hybrid camber (never summer SL). It didn't take me a second to get used to it. Immediately it felt fun. The board is a little more loose without being too much so. Lots of times where I would have caught an edge (loose boots ... since fixed) trying to turn on my old board, the SL didn't even flinch, it just kept riding through my stall/hesitation.

I've never rode a full rocker/reverse yet. Only camber and the NS RC, but so far, I like it.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

magne-traction is no joke for sure. i miss it now that i've switched form the park pickle to the horroscope. but, for me..just that isn't worth $200..but i'm also a poor starving student so not sure. heard good things about the quiver killer though, haven't really payed much attention to gnu since i sold the pickle...i'm sure you'll be happy either way. both companies make solid products imo
Old 03-24-2011, 02:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

thanks guys, just found a 30% off deal on tactics.com $450 O_O think im pullin the trigger
Old 03-24-2011, 03:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Trigger pulled! gonna be proud new owner of an AG in a week or so. Hopefully I made right call, can't wait to get into it next season!