Directional vs True Twin - help! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 12:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Directional vs True Twin - help!

I've been looking at getting a different board and not sure about getting a Directional vs True Twin board. I have tried to read up on which to get, but really need some help from some experts.

I know a Directional Board is offset and have read not to center the bindings as it will upset the sidecuts of the board. I also know that the tip will be softer and the tail stiffer on a directional. I will be riding switch at times and one board I had while riding switch was awful and uncomfortable and I believe it was a directional board.

I currently have a true twin with centered bindings. I am looking at getting a NS Inifinity but it is a directional board and not sure if I will be happy with a directional board. Not sure how having a soft tip and stiff tail will work when riding switch and if the bindings are offset. I am looking for a board for groomers, ice and powder and something to help going over the choppy powder at the end of the day. Green and Blue runs and one day maybe a Black run.....

Can anyone tell me what differences I might find going to a Directional board and which would be better for me in these conditions I ride in. Not into high speed or bombing either. Also, is a Directional Board the preferred board if not doing Park or Rails or Jumps - and why?

Thanks for any input!
firstx1017 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2011, 12:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but a directional twin still has a symmetrical sidecut and centered stance, it's just the flex that's directional, right? Whereas a true directional board will likely have asymmetrical sidecut, flex, and stance.

2010 Arbor Element
2010 Rome Targa
2011 NS Evo
2011 Rome 390 Boss
2009 Salomon F22
mwl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

hmm, in addition to this, i just got a true twin, and my bindings are slightly offcenter 1/2" towardw the back..big deal? or no?

Never Summer Evo 153/Restricted ReFlex Cartel
Gnu Danny Kass 156 BTX
East告de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Directional has asymmetrical sidecuts, flex, and stance.

Directional twin generally has either asymmetrical sidecuts and symmetrical flex or symmetrical sidecuts and asymmetrical flex and sometimes centred.

True twin has symmetrical, sidecuts, flex, and generally centred stance.
ChrisMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Directional: Setback stance so you have more nose than tail. The tip and tail will have different geometries generally meaning the tail is shorter and more narrow. Usually, the nose will be softer than the tail to help with float.

True Twin: Centered stance and board geometry is symmetrical in both directions.

Directional Twin: Tip and tail are the same geometry, but the stance is setback like a directional board.

As far as I know, sidecut of the board is always centered around stance. I am not familiar with any boards with a stance that is not centered on the sidecut.

Flex patterns are all over the map.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

so would it make a big difference if my bindings were set back 1/2" on a true twin? its just how they seemed to go on when i fit them up..

Gnu Danny Kass 156 BTX
Old 03-24-2011, 01:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by East告de View Post
so would it make a big difference if my bindings were set back 1/2" on a true twin? its just how they seemed to go on when i fit them up..
Why is it setback? I'm not familiar with that particular board. Was it your intention to have a setback stance?

Setback stances are alright. Especially for powder riding if you're on a cambered board. What I recommend not doing is setting the stance forward ahead of the sidecut.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Also, is a Directional Board the preferred board if not doing Park or Rails or Jumps - and why?

Trying to figure out why one would want a Directional Board as opposed to a True Twin Board - anyone????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Directional: Setback stance so you have more nose than tail. The tip and tail will have different geometries generally meaning the tail is shorter and more narrow. Usually, the nose will be softer than the tail to help with float.

True Twin: Centered stance and board geometry is symmetrical in both directions.

Directional Twin: Tip and tail are the same geometry, but the stance is setback like a directional board.

As far as I know, sidecut of the board is always centered around stance. I am not familiar with any boards with a stance that is not centered on the sidecut.

Flex patterns are all over the map.
firstx1017 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Why is it setback? I'm not familiar with that particular board. Was it your intention to have a setback stance?

Setback stances are alright. Especially for powder riding if you're on a cambered board. What I recommend not doing is setting the stance forward ahead of the sidecut.
i normally ride slightly set back, but when i was putting the bindings on this board, i tried to get them as centered as possible, but when i finally measured, the back tip was 1/2" shorter or so..im just making sure this isnt a major deal on a true twin.. also, im trying a new stance angle of like 15/-12 to see how i like it..

Gnu Danny Kass 156 BTX
Old 03-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

All other variables equal, a directional board is going to give you more control and stability at higher speeds. It will also float better in powder. The longer nose lends to stability during aggressive carving as well. On an equivalent true twin, you'll notice more nose chatter. This is getting fairly technical though and you'd have to be pretty seasoned to notice nuances like that.

For your purposes, a directional twin or true twin sounds good. True directional boards are usually reserved for freeriding so that means they will usually be real damp and stiff. Most boards these days are directional twins or true twins.

I learned to ride switch on a true directional board. Is it easier to ride switch on a true twin? Yea, but it's not enough to make me choose a twin over a directional purely based on the fact. Unless of course we are talking about things like directional with swallow tail.