Looking for a new board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 01:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking for a new board

hey guys,
im 6.2 feet and 161.6 lbs size 12 feet. bought a few years back an old sims cipher 157 (so i wont have to rent boards). got back from a snowboard vacation 2 weeks ago and im starting to feel like my board is holding me back. im able to ride pretty well on any run at hand including offpistes though i can barely switch which is something i would like to be able to do in the future.
im looking for a fast all mountain, park friendly board. the Salomon Special caught my eye so far after dismissing the burner.

any suggestions? im also uncertain on how wide my board should be, im thinking that the current board i have is not wide enough for me and i think im getting a lot of toe/heel falls (although it could just be an excuse, not sure :P)

thanks
w00zup!? is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2011, 03:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00zup!? View Post
hey guys,
im 6.2 feet and 161.6 lbs size 12 feet. bought a few years back an old sims cipher 157 (so i wont have to rent boards). got back from a snowboard vacation 2 weeks ago and im starting to feel like my board is holding me back. im able to ride pretty well on any run at hand including offpistes though i can barely switch which is something i would like to be able to do in the future.
im looking for a fast all mountain, park friendly board. the Salomon Special caught my eye so far after dismissing the burner.

any suggestions? im also uncertain on how wide my board should be, im thinking that the current board i have is not wide enough for me and i think im getting a lot of toe/heel falls (although it could just be an excuse, not sure :P)

thanks
Start by looking at the wide and mid-wide (260mm waist or wider) all mountain boards on each of the major company websites....i.e. Lib Tech, GNU, Never Summer, Burton, Ride, Nitro, Capita, K2, and many more.

Then decide what kind of camber profile you want. There's a sticky post about Camber/Rocker at the top.

From there you will be pretty narrowed down to ask some specific questions.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

well i guess i shouldve mentioned this earlier, im looking for a camber board. i assume i should be looking for a twin or directional twin since i dont know how much harder itll be to switch on a directional or tapered board (burner for example).
Old 03-26-2011, 05:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
que

your size and riding preference sound similar to mine (6' 165lbs) and since i just purchased a board, i have done some research as of late and this is what i bought Rossignol One MagTek 2011 Snowboard Review
....hopefully that review is truthful because i have no way of trying it out until next december the 161 would probably be a good size for you and it comes in a midwide width. i am not trying to sell you on that board because i have no experience with it, other than staring at it in my living room throughout the day. just thought it might be a good suggestion especially since it is affordable and most reviews for it sounded really good.

Last edited by que; 03-26-2011 at 05:28 PM.
que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

thanks for a great suggestion, it actually looks pretty awesome!
although ill be honest with you this whole rocker thing seems a bit fishy in my opinion :P i'd rather get another camber for now and maybe ease into the rockers in the future. but it does look good! by the way i like thegoodride.com, they seem to have tested a whole lot of boards (some with video reviews aswell), and they have a point system which is good if you wanna compare one board to another!
Old 03-28-2011, 11:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00zup!? View Post
thanks for a great suggestion, it actually looks pretty awesome!
although ill be honest with you this whole rocker thing seems a bit fishy in my opinion :P i'd rather get another camber for now and maybe ease into the rockers in the future. but it does look good! by the way i like thegoodride.com, they seem to have tested a whole lot of boards (some with video reviews aswell), and they have a point system which is good if you wanna compare one board to another!
Fishy huh? It really all depends on what you are looking for.

If you are sticking to groomers and just like to carve at high speeds, you probably have no need to consider any type of rocker. If you like riding powder and doing jumps off piste, then you might find rocker to be very attractive.

I've been riding camber boards for about 10 years and just started riding some rocker boards last year and this year. After riding a Lib Tech C2BTX board a few weeks ago I was completely sold, and just bought one last week.

It carves just as well as my camber, holds an edge better because of the MTX and I totally prefer it for riding powder and landing jumps. It's definitely not fishy...just depends on what you want from your board.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

by the way guys, i wanted to ask when is the best time to buy a board? (price-wise)
Old 03-29-2011, 04:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

NOW! or pretty much now lol

and you might be impressed with the C2 rockered boards, but id def stay away from regular banana or r/c boards for all mountain..mine feels super sloppy when trying to carve hard and bomb

Never Summer Evo 153/Restricted ReFlex Cartel
Gnu Danny Kass 156 BTX
East§ide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by que View Post
your size and riding preference sound similar to mine (6' 165lbs) and since i just purchased a board, i have done some research as of late and this is what i bought Rossignol One MagTek 2011 Snowboard Review
....hopefully that review is truthful because i have no way of trying it out until next december the 161 would probably be a good size for you and it comes in a midwide width. i am not trying to sell you on that board because i have no experience with it, other than staring at it in my living room throughout the day. just thought it might be a good suggestion especially since it is affordable and most reviews for it sounded really good.
Another vote for the One MagTek (2011), I have a 157mw and it's great. I also have their Experience and an old Travis Rice Pro so I'm somewhat of a Rossi fan.
eelpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Make sure you go wide! Mid-wide won't cut it, not for a 12. I'd say no waist widths less than 26.8. The only reason you'd try to size down would be to get a tighter, quicker turn. But you mentioned park riding, and for that you'll want the extra stability. Plus you'll get better float in powder.
MittensAndBeer is offline   Reply With Quote