This place has become my sanctuary... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 11:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
sirhc.yaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 64
Exclamation This place has become my sanctuary...

Like the old man looks forward to his lazy boy after work, I head here after all is said and done at the mountain.

Just need to vent a little bit about such a screwed up first day on my slayblade and 4th time snowboarding ever. I love the sport wholeheartedly and as a result I went from learn to ride at hunter to investing in a 2011 stick+. I have no problems on green and spend some time on blues.

Now to put PARAGON SPORTS on BLAST.
For all you beginners out there heed this thread and avoid a disastrous day on the mountain like I had.
The guy at paragon sports who sold me my stick was so interested in completing the sales transaction, because they work on commission, that he failed to property install my bindings correctly, which led to continuous spill after spill. Waaaaaaaaaaay to wide on the bindings and the screws were left loose, "recipe for danger". Fortunately for me the pros at hunter adjusted the bindings similar to the ones on the LTR boards.

This def made a difference but I was still busting my ass. The terrain was loose/frozen granular and I remember the board mechanic mentioning something about a new boards sharp edge catching. After giving up on the day I sat on the bus back home and googled the effects of a new boards sharp edges and learned about a think called detuning.

Check it guys:
"You will want to detune the tip and tail edges beyond the effective edge when you purchase and before you ride a new snowboard or hit rails. Detuning the tip and tail edges will prevent your Snowboard from catching too early in turns which at high speed may cause serious injury"

Do I have every right to go to paragon and open up a can of whip ass or is this not that serious of an issue? Has this happen to anyone else who rode a new non-detuned board on loose frozen gran? Thoughts please..
P.S Paragon sports has not heard the last of me..
__________________
LEME HEARYA SAY OOOOOHHHHHHHH YEAHHHH!!
sirhc.yaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-26-2011, 11:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Jibtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 62
Default

Hmmm... No... I don't detune personally.. The only thing I could think of that you could complain about would be that their binding set up really screwed you up..

but here's the deal.... They should've made sure the screws were tight but to some extent they can't over-tighten the screws because you could just say they stripped your inserts or whatever... uhm binding width, you won't really know yours until you get comfortable..

Basically the only thing they did wrong was didn't tighten them enough...

Binding width, angles, and edge tuning are all personal preferences you just have to learn for yourself... I would say just don't be angry with them unless you want to comment on the screws not being tightened...

But at the end of the day it's personal responsibility... trust me, my first board had women's bindings was set to give me MAXIMUM toe drag... and yeah, thanks Scheel's sporting goods..


You have to remember just because they are selling you stuff doesn't mean they know shit about it, unless it's a specialty snowboard store then fuck those guys.
Jibtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
jdang307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,838
Default

I haven't detuned either. It's most likely the new setup that's causing you problems, esp. this early in your snowboarding adventures. It's a whole new setup. The loose binding, yeah that sucks, I've had that happen. Lots of stalling/hesitation.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mountains
Posts: 10,193
Default

Why the fuck are you on a Slayblade that's too much board for someone that's ridden 4 times.
__________________
Angry Snowboarder Because someone has to call it how they see it!
BurtonAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
sirhc.yaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 64
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
Why the fuck are you on a Slayblade that's too much board for someone that's ridden 4 times.
I'm aware of what type of board I am riding and most importantly stay within the terrain of my ability, which I think accounts for a lot. My question was in regards to binding set up, loose screws and detuned edges, an why the fukc am I on a slayblade "because I got a killer deal on it and I makes me feel warm and fuzzy"
__________________
LEME HEARYA SAY OOOOOHHHHHHHH YEAHHHH!!
sirhc.yaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mountains
Posts: 10,193
Default

You're a dumbass.
__________________
Angry Snowboarder Because someone has to call it how they see it!
BurtonAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
sirhc.yaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 64
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
You're a dumbass.
Yaaaaaaay my first fan!
__________________
LEME HEARYA SAY OOOOOHHHHHHHH YEAHHHH!!
sirhc.yaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Jibtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 62
Default

Get used to avenger, he's that kid hanging from his underwear from a tree branch with a baseball bat...

Yeah he's stuck in a tree, yes he'll hit you with the bat if you try to talk to him.

Regardless: If you go to a place and they have a tuning shop, the first thing if you don't know what you want done.... ask them for tips/information

*A shop guy is not going to do anything to your edges other than sharpen them unless you ask.
*If you told them you were a beginner, that's sort of their fault with the width... they should've put you at the stock inserts.

I still can't believe you didn't realize your bindings were loose until you were on the slopes.
Jibtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jliu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 272
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhc.yaj View Post
This def made a difference but I was still busting my ass. The terrain was loose/frozen granular and I remember the board mechanic mentioning something about a new boards sharp edge catching. After giving up on the day I sat on the bus back home and googled the effects of a new boards sharp edges and learned about a think called detuning.

Check it guys:
"You will want to detune the tip and tail edges beyond the effective edge when you purchase and before you ride a new snowboard or hit rails. Detuning the tip and tail edges will prevent your Snowboard from catching too early in turns which at high speed may cause serious injury"

Do I have every right to go to paragon and open up a can of whip ass or is this not that serious of an issue? Has this happen to anyone else who rode a new non-detuned board on loose frozen gran? Thoughts please..
P.S Paragon sports has not heard the last of me..

I honestly think you got the wrong board. 4th time on the mountain and you're riding a beast....the board is definitely riding you. I dont think it has anything to do with de-tuning edges...just a lack of skill/experience (not bashing at all...just saying you're not at that level yet). I think you were falling on your ass cause you werent use to the stiffness of the board....being that the only thing you were exposed to were crappy LTR boards. There are experienced members here that have boarded all their lives that think the slay is a hard charger not to be messed with...so dont take offense.

So yea...Paragon sales staff got commission happy and sold you the wrong board...setting up the bindings wrong was on the shop people...but its still on you to check your equipment before going out....and it doesnt matter if you scored a deal on a board that wasnt meant for you. I could score a deal on Salomon F22 boots (which I love)...but if they are size 11 (i wear 8.5)....ZERO value to ME.

Also...i would think you want sharp edges if you were riding in frozen conditions...
jliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
sirhc.yaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 64
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibtah View Post
Get used to avenger, he's that kid hanging from his underwear from a tree branch with a baseball bat...

Yeah he's stuck in a tree, yes he'll hit you with the bat if you try to talk to him.

Regardless: If you go to a place and they have a tuning shop, the first thing if you don't know what you want done.... ask them for tips/information

*A shop guy is not going to do anything to your edges other than sharpen them unless you ask.
*If you told them you were a beginner, that's sort of their fault with the width... they should've put you at the stock inserts.

I still can't believe you didn't realize your bindings were loose until you were on the slopes.
Here's the thing, I didn't know they were loose either. The tech guy at hunter adjusted my bindings to a setting more suitable for my riding stance in front of me. He said look at this and with total ease unscrewed the screws underneath the disk covers. He said they didn't even tighten the screws. Nonetheless I'll take my board in to detune the tip and tail and keep it moving.

I learned that these forums are here like a brother/sisterhood to help one another and you always have one or two who deserve the dunce cap. Thanks for the input bro..
__________________
LEME HEARYA SAY OOOOOHHHHHHHH YEAHHHH!!
sirhc.yaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:08 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums