Am I waxing correctly or is my board damaged? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 05:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Am I waxing correctly or is my board damaged?

This is the 3rd time in a row I've had to wax my snowboard after 1 day at Cypress Mt.
I understand that the snow will also make a difference, but in each of the 3 times, the sides become white from being dry.

In the past, I waited for nearly a month for my snowboard iron to ship. In this time, I went 2 extra times with a pretty dried out snowboard. Could this also be an issue?

When I wax, I first do a hot scrape then follow up with the waxing. When waxing, I make sure I the sides get the proper wax job. I usually wait a few hours before scraping the wax off. My iron is set to 125 C. I use Canwax All-temp wax which is supposedly has been formulated to last longer than other waxes.

I have a Quiksilver Daggers, which I am pretty sure is sintered
looboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2011, 07:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by looboo View Post
This is the 3rd time in a row I've had to wax my snowboard after 1 day at Cypress Mt.
I understand that the snow will also make a difference, but in each of the 3 times, the sides become white from being dry.

In the past, I waited for nearly a month for my snowboard iron to ship. In this time, I went 2 extra times with a pretty dried out snowboard. Could this also be an issue?

When I wax, I first do a hot scrape then follow up with the waxing. When waxing, I make sure I the sides get the proper wax job. I usually wait a few hours before scraping the wax off. My iron is set to 125 C. I use Canwax All-temp wax which is supposedly has been formulated to last longer than other waxes.

Was the board brand new? and then you waxed each time before going and it still turned white and dry? if that's the case i don't think that is normal.
legends6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Probably have some base burn.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

You can't fix base burn with waxing?
mbesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

My board has that same shit, mine is base burn from some nutsack that tried to hotwax his own board before selling it....

Uhm, it doesn't really affect my board... then again that's the board I just use to smack my face on boxes so... eh.
Jibtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Er...what exactly is base burn?
Old 03-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

You know how people always say don't leave your iron on the board in one place for too long?

Here's a website that can explain it for you better than I can... It's got all of the likely scenarios and how to fix them.. sounds like base burn though like avenger said.

Heeeere you go.
Jibtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by looboo View Post

If you have white patches after a single say on the mountain then it definitely sounds like you have base burn. What procedure do you use for 'hot scraping' your board? I suspect this is where the base burn occurred.
AcroPhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the input.

The board was new when purchased, but I'm thinking of just buying a new board. This one was really cheap at $130 anyway.

The link that Jibtah posted said PTex can melt at temperatures as low as 125 C, which is also the temperature I use for my iron. I suppose base burn is possible, but all the edges of the board?

I'm gonna start using my iron at about 110 C instead. Wax will melt slower, but there's a lower chance of burning my board. For now... I'll be looking for some deals.

AcroPhile: When I hotscrape, I wax half the board with the iron at 125 C (gonna lower the temp in the future). I then scrape the wax off immediately with a metal scraper. I repeat the process with the other half of the board.
looboo is offline   Reply With Quote