Learned on an advanced board.... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 09:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Learned on an advanced board....

Has anyone learned to ride on an intermediate to advanced board. What was it like, I know some of you are missing a screw and watched T Rice and Gigi and said that's me. I what to hear some crazy stories...
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2011, 09:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I started out on a 163 wide cambered stiff as shit board. It probably made it a little harder, but I didn't know the difference until I got on different boards. In the long run I think it made me a better rider because I had to have good technique or it would kick my ass.
Qball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've been riding an older (2004 model) 156 board that seems stiff (with stiff bindings, too) since after my first day out It's definitely too long for me. I'll find out how it affected my snowboarding when I get a new setup in September or so. I think it'll make me better because I have to work harder right now, and the old board made a great board to learn how to do repairs, waxing and tuning, since I wasn't afraid of wrecking it.
TofuSama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm pretty new to the sport, only went out 7 trips, and I rode a burton custom x (friend sold to me for cheap with bindings) so i was like what the hey.

Not sure what the difference is, I will prob try out my other friends GNU CC board next time I can, just to see if it's easier.

Either way, I kinda learned to ride the custom pretty well IMO.
BoredPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

i assume a freeride board like the custom x is gonna be faster when traveling on a carve. Most newbies are unaccustomed to that type of speed, and when you don't have a good feeling of edge control down already, you will be punished harder for your mistakes.

I think it will boil down to your own innate skill. Get punished too much, and you will shy away from progressing. Overconfidence and lack of skill will get you injured. Pick your poison.

At least give the board a chance, hopefully, you'll know when/if you need to draw the line on whether its too much or not

Last edited by Unowned; 03-28-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Unowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

Board I learned on was a Ride Timeless a stiff as all hell and crazy fast free ride board, many many epic crashes(like where the hell did my goggles and beanie go?) till this day my favorite all time board, sold it and regretted it the instant I handed over the board.
mercm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercm3 View Post
Board I learned on was a Ride Timeless a stiff as all hell and crazy fast free ride board, many many epic crashes(like where the hell did my goggles and beanie go?) till this day my favorite all time board, sold it and regretted it the instant I handed over the board.
hahahahahaha but before you look for your goggles their is that "pause" after the vibrations from your organs finished jolting, almost domino effect like. This is the deepest pause I ever took in my existence on the planet. I reflect on my life as a whole and my purpose in life, then I come back to the mountain. I call it the vortex pause...
Old 03-28-2011, 01:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

So just to add to my reponse in your other thread, didn't mean to say you cant learn on a stiffer more advanced board or that its ultimately the wrong board for you...just maybe the wrong board at the moment. The slay will just be unforgiving to you for the first little while and hence I believe you falling all over the place was more to do with the board than the edge bevel. Also progressing in the more free-style area (if thats your cup of tea) will be a lot slower...but like anything...doable.
jliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliu View Post
So just to add to my reponse in your other thread, didn't mean to say you cant learn on a stiffer more advanced board or that its ultimately the wrong board for you...just maybe the wrong board at the moment. The slay will just be unforgiving to you for the first little while and hence I believe you falling all over the place was more to do with the board than the edge bevel. Also progressing in the more free-style area (if thats your cup of tea) will be a lot slower...but like anything...doable.
All good, I value the opinion of everyone who responds regardless of age or riding ability. I haven't even scratched the surface of the awesomeness snowboarding has to offer but I am fully aware of the unforgiving side. I learned about respect for the sport the hard way in the oceans waves now and now it's the mountain's wrath. Damn, falling on frozen gran hurts!
Old 03-28-2011, 02:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

There is definitely a point where you want your board to make you ride correctly, but not be so unforgiving that it makes you lose confidence and scares away progression. I learned on a semi-stiff camber board, which was good because it taught me the right form (or else slam) but at the same time, now that I have R.C tech, I won't touch that thing anymore because it's like life or death. I got to the point where my progression slowed because I was afraid to push the limits with that thing.