Westmark vs Evo - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
jdang307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,929
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Westmark vs Evo

Ok I just got an SL, but ... I'm finding the board stiffer than I wanted. I wanted a flexible playful board that could still keep up with buddies as we take runs down the mountain. The SL has the all mountain part down, however I'm finding the playful part lacking.

Yes, that is due to my lack of skill. I know people butter/jib with the SL, I can't. I suck. Now until I get better, I want a board that will allow me to learn that Maybe it's my weight, I dunno, 135 on a 151 (smallest SL they make).

Graphics are #2 in my book (performance first) but the 2011 EVO graphics, no way. The westmark graphics don't sway me either way for 2011 or 2012, so I can grab a 2011 now for quite cheap.

I've done the searches, and those are the two I've narrowed down to. Also was considering some smokin snowboards, as I ride So Cal so we get some icy groomers from time to time and I like the idea of magne (notice all boards have some sort of grip technology). bigwig/clancy/knaack/mip
jdang307 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 05:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: VT
Posts: 350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
Ok I just got an SL, but ... I'm finding the board stiffer than I wanted. I wanted a flexible playful board that could still keep up with buddies as we take runs down the mountain. The SL has the all mountain part down, however I'm finding the playful part lacking.

Yes, that is due to my lack of skill. I know people butter/jib with the SL, I can't. I suck. Now until I get better, I want a board that will allow me to learn that Maybe it's my weight, I dunno, 135 on a 151 (smallest SL they make).

Graphics are #2 in my book (performance first) but the 2011 EVO graphics, no way. The westmark graphics don't sway me either way for 2011 or 2012, so I can grab a 2011 now for quite cheap.

I've done the searches, and those are the two I've narrowed down to. Also was considering some smokin snowboards, as I ride So Cal so we get some icy groomers from time to time and I like the idea of magne (notice all boards have some sort of grip technology). bigwig/clancy/knaack/mip
EVO is softer than SL but compared to Arbor Draft for example, it is stiffer and harder to make it playful (relative of course)

if you want to jib and ground trick, i suggest arbor draft. if u prefer more jumps and land those big booters, then westmark.

otherwise, i'd say westmark for now - only because you already have a SL
legends6spd is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
jdang307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,929
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Well I plan on selling the SL, if that changes your recommendation. I love the fit and finish of the Never Summmer they are solid boards. But I hear great things about the westmark as well.

I'm willing to sacrifice the jib/buttering aspects to retain some stability/all mountain capabilities. But something definitely softer than the SL
jdang307 is offline  
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 07:42 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I weight 120 and have the SL 151 and have no problems buttering the board. Just work on your technique.
boymonkey is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
jdang307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,929
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boymonkey View Post
I weight 120 and have the SL 151 and have no problems buttering the board. Just work on your technique.
I'm trying, trust me. As soon as I try and pull/lean it pulls me right back down. I've tried to find some video instructions but they're all crap, if you have any tips or videos, hook it up!
jdang307 is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 07:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: VT
Posts: 350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by legends6spd View Post
EVO is softer than SL but compared to Arbor Draft for example, it is stiffer and harder to make it playful (relative of course)

if you want to jib and ground trick, i suggest arbor draft. if u prefer more jumps and land those big booters, then westmark.

otherwise, i'd say westmark for now - only because you already have a SL
if you are going to sell SL then buy EVO. i too love NS quality, construction & finish. it also seems like you still want all mountain capabilities. finally, like NS's dampering system better than Arbor's. so it feels good when landing jumps and not feel to much chatter. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice to be honest with you. you might have to go with the board that gives you better value $ wise.
legends6spd is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 04:24 PM
Senior Member
 
threej21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GA
Posts: 456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
zero personal experience but a riding buddy rides the westmark and raves about it...says it has "grip tech" ( i think thats the name ) which is kinda like magne traction but only right in front of and behind the bindings...it says it makes it not chatter, and from watching him bomb through some chunky spring snow i believe it
threej21 is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 06:37 PM
Senior Member
 
WHOisDAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
I'm trying, trust me. As soon as I try and pull/lean it pulls me right back down. I've tried to find some video instructions but they're all crap, if you have any tips or videos, hook it up!
Keep practicing! You'll get it down eventually.

I have the SL and it butters like a dream for an all-mountain board. I also have an EVO and both boards do extremely well in the park.
WHOisDAN is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
jdang307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,929
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'm going to give it some more tries!
jdang307 is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
 
Nivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Mordor
Posts: 7,694
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
I personally prefer the Westmark. A little lighter and I just have more fun on System than RC.

Snowboarding Is...

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friends
Nivek is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome