Westmark vs Evo - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 05:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Westmark vs Evo

Ok I just got an SL, but ... I'm finding the board stiffer than I wanted. I wanted a flexible playful board that could still keep up with buddies as we take runs down the mountain. The SL has the all mountain part down, however I'm finding the playful part lacking.

Yes, that is due to my lack of skill. I know people butter/jib with the SL, I can't. I suck. Now until I get better, I want a board that will allow me to learn that Maybe it's my weight, I dunno, 135 on a 151 (smallest SL they make).

Graphics are #2 in my book (performance first) but the 2011 EVO graphics, no way. The westmark graphics don't sway me either way for 2011 or 2012, so I can grab a 2011 now for quite cheap.

I've done the searches, and those are the two I've narrowed down to. Also was considering some smokin snowboards, as I ride So Cal so we get some icy groomers from time to time and I like the idea of magne (notice all boards have some sort of grip technology). bigwig/clancy/knaack/mip
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011, 06:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
Ok I just got an SL, but ... I'm finding the board stiffer than I wanted. I wanted a flexible playful board that could still keep up with buddies as we take runs down the mountain. The SL has the all mountain part down, however I'm finding the playful part lacking.

Yes, that is due to my lack of skill. I know people butter/jib with the SL, I can't. I suck. Now until I get better, I want a board that will allow me to learn that Maybe it's my weight, I dunno, 135 on a 151 (smallest SL they make).

Graphics are #2 in my book (performance first) but the 2011 EVO graphics, no way. The westmark graphics don't sway me either way for 2011 or 2012, so I can grab a 2011 now for quite cheap.

I've done the searches, and those are the two I've narrowed down to. Also was considering some smokin snowboards, as I ride So Cal so we get some icy groomers from time to time and I like the idea of magne (notice all boards have some sort of grip technology). bigwig/clancy/knaack/mip
EVO is softer than SL but compared to Arbor Draft for example, it is stiffer and harder to make it playful (relative of course)

if you want to jib and ground trick, i suggest arbor draft. if u prefer more jumps and land those big booters, then westmark.

otherwise, i'd say westmark for now - only because you already have a SL
legends6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well I plan on selling the SL, if that changes your recommendation. I love the fit and finish of the Never Summmer they are solid boards. But I hear great things about the westmark as well.

I'm willing to sacrifice the jib/buttering aspects to retain some stability/all mountain capabilities. But something definitely softer than the SL
Old 03-28-2011, 08:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

I weight 120 and have the SL 151 and have no problems buttering the board. Just work on your technique.
boymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boymonkey View Post
I weight 120 and have the SL 151 and have no problems buttering the board. Just work on your technique.
I'm trying, trust me. As soon as I try and pull/lean it pulls me right back down. I've tried to find some video instructions but they're all crap, if you have any tips or videos, hook it up!
Old 03-29-2011, 08:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by legends6spd View Post
EVO is softer than SL but compared to Arbor Draft for example, it is stiffer and harder to make it playful (relative of course)

if you want to jib and ground trick, i suggest arbor draft. if u prefer more jumps and land those big booters, then westmark.

otherwise, i'd say westmark for now - only because you already have a SL
if you are going to sell SL then buy EVO. i too love NS quality, construction & finish. it also seems like you still want all mountain capabilities. finally, like NS's dampering system better than Arbor's. so it feels good when landing jumps and not feel to much chatter. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice to be honest with you. you might have to go with the board that gives you better value $ wise.
legends6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

zero personal experience but a riding buddy rides the westmark and raves about it...says it has "grip tech" ( i think thats the name ) which is kinda like magne traction but only right in front of and behind the bindings...it says it makes it not chatter, and from watching him bomb through some chunky spring snow i believe it
threej21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
I'm trying, trust me. As soon as I try and pull/lean it pulls me right back down. I've tried to find some video instructions but they're all crap, if you have any tips or videos, hook it up!
Keep practicing! You'll get it down eventually.

I have the SL and it butters like a dream for an all-mountain board. I also have an EVO and both boards do extremely well in the park.
WHOisDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm going to give it some more tries!
Old 03-29-2011, 11:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I personally prefer the Westmark. A little lighter and I just have more fun on System than RC.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is online now   Reply With Quote