Lib Tech Dark - Reg or Wide? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 08:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lib Tech Dark - Reg or Wide?

Thinking about buying the Dark Series after demoing over the weekend. Cant decide between the 161 regular and the wide. I am a size 11 boot. Think i demo'd the regular but am not 100% sure and I know the specs say that the cutoff is a 10.5.

Anyone know if the regular will be okay?

Thx

J
jayse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011, 09:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

You are right on the cusp as far as truly needing a wide. If you did in fact ride a regular you'll be hating the difference in carving ability the wide lacks if you get it. What's your stance look like in terms of foot position and angles? Were you catching any heel or toe on power carves? Are you a heavy rider? If you answered no to the last two, and it did turn out you were on a regular cut, then frankly I don't think you'd benefit from a wide.

P.S. nice board choice!
SlickmisterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

PSS. Nice board choice. I ride the 161 but I have a size 10. That board hauls ass.

I think you will be fine with the regular if you have a duck stance.
Lstarrasl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thx for the feedback.

Front foot 10-15 degrees, back foot neutral. I didnt notice toe or heals catching, but then again I am not sure I have ever felt it. I suppose I would know. In terms of being a heavy rider, I weigh

You guys ever ride the Travis Rice? I loved the Dark Series but have heard people also recommend the TR alot, so I am a bit torn.

Appreciate the help

J
jayse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayse View Post
Thx for the feedback.

Front foot 10-15 degrees, back foot neutral. I didnt notice toe or heals catching, but then again I am not sure I have ever felt it. I suppose I would know. In terms of being a heavy rider, I weigh

You guys ever ride the Travis Rice? I loved the Dark Series but have heard people also recommend the TR alot, so I am a bit torn.

Appreciate the help

J
Hmmm...that's tough. You are looking at a 12mm difference between the two so its a decent size difference. Also, the wide on the dark series isn't even that wide at 263....its more of a mid-wide. You are probably fine either way since you have size 11, but it can also depend on how big the profile of the boot is.

As for the Dark Series vs. T Rice, they are both great boards and are very similar, with the biggest difference being that the Dark is a directional twin and the T Rice is a true twin. They have a similar flex and the Dark has a little more tech that makes it more expensive. I think the Dark is slightly more aggressive because of the plates under the bindings. The 161.5 width is in between the two Dark Series options.

I actually demo'd a Dark Series 161w a few weeks ago and was considering buying one. Ultimately, I ended up buying the T Rice 161.5. I've ridden it once in some very strange snow, but I can tell that I'm going to love the board. However, I can't really compare the performance between the two boards since I rode the Dark in awesome snow conditions and rode the TRice in very strange snow conditions (i.e. new snow that had thawed and frozen again few times before the hill opened).
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

After seeing your last post I would go for the wide. I just hopped on a Nana Magic about a month ago and have gotten a few good days in on it. Still getting used to it for powder and all mountain stuff. I was looking at the T Rice too... but man, those Magic's graphics...haha I kid. I kid. But if you care about that sorta thing seriously consider waiting for the 2012 T Rice's to come out. Those sticks are going to be epic!
SlickmisterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayse View Post
Thx for the feedback.

Appreciate the help

J

Never rode the Rice, I'm a speed freak when I'm not on pow so I wanted their narrowest, most responsive board. (Rice is a Mid wide) I've gotten scared a few times on it, but the board has always been there. I have to adjust the front binding back when I ride powder. That board is sick in powder, people say it's not but they don't know what the F they are talking about. I've got a few seasons under my belt (20+) so I know what I'm talking about.

The Rice gets a lot of love because it is Rice's board and he's the best.

I'm sure if you got either one you will be stoked!
Lstarrasl is offline   Reply With Quote