Need advice on SL, please help - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 10:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need advice on SL, please help

Hey guys so I'm looking in to getting my first board and am really sold on the NS SL (especially graphics, i admit im shallow). I live in Florida so the only times I get to ride are annual trips, mostly to North Carolina but there are plans for one next year to Colorado. Can't wait! I've ridden enough to not be considered a beginner but its always been on rental boards. I love cruising down the mountain but plan on learning more in the park. I want to learn jumps and jibs but i will favor jumps. Also when the opportunity is there I will definitely spend alot of time in the pipe.

My question is...does the SL seem like a board that will fit my needs? I want a board that has stability cruising down the mountain but one that I can also throw a few jibs with and butter it.

Also, since its not a true twin does that badly effect spinning air tricks? And for pipe, generally do you want a softer or stiffer board?

Thanks a million for any advice!
quadcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2011, 11:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yep, this is the one if youre looking for all that. I do lil park but mostly like to play with it on the way down and its the best. I had 3 Sl now down to 2, looking to sell my 161 white top sheet used ONCE. almost new. Let me know if youre interested
snowjab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I will add that, I did get an SL and it's a great board, cruises down the mountain and I assume hits the jumps like no other (I don't hit big jumps). Very damp, very fast, very stable.

However, as I am also a beginner (my second season but only rode 10 times total) I would say a more advanced beginner, I wanted something more flexible. A good rider can press any board, I can't press the SL. Yes I know, improve my technique, however I'd like to start with a softer board now then improve my technique. I'm looking at an Evo. I don't need to bomb the mountain, but do like to catch up with my buddies who do.

The SL is solid board though, really good. I'm probably going to wait until the 2012 evo is out, for the graphics. Not that I care about graphics that much, but I just object to the 2011 ones
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

When you say that you can't "press" the SL what exactly do you mean? Like bend it? Or butter it?

And thanks for advice guys.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

press means to bend it, like butters. evo is another option.
MistahTaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yes, bend it and ride on one side essentially. Of course the SL can be pressed, I'm just not good enough to do it, I'm sure anyone can learn. It is easier with a more flexible board.

Jumps = SL. Butter = Evo.

You can do jumps on the evo, and butter the SL. Each board is just a little better suited for the other. So if your main focus is on jumps, I do think the SL is a solid choice. I just wanted to throw my experience in there.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

this guy sounds like he won't be doing any big jumps anytime soon. for the jump sizes that you're probably going to go on the flex wont make much of a difference. for what you are planning to ride the evo can do just fine. especially if you are just "cruising down the mountain". the evo has a softer flex so it'll be easier to do butters and control. if you're going to start riding park the evo will be better suited for you. I honestly don't think that someone that's only gone 10 times will jib and butter a sl will ease unless you're packing some weight.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Alright. I have looked a lot into the evo aswell. It's good to know that the SL can jib and the Evo can jump though. Out of curiousity, which of the boards would perform better in the pipe? Thanks a lot for the help guys, much appreciated.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowjab View Post
Yep, this is the one if youre looking for all that. I do lil park but mostly like to play with it on the way down and its the best. I had 3 Sl now down to 2, looking to sell my 161 white top sheet used ONCE. almost new. Let me know if youre interested
how much? shipped to 46168
racer357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadcrazy View Post
Alright. I have looked a lot into the evo aswell. It's good to know that the SL can jib and the Evo can jump though. Out of curiousity, which of the boards would perform better in the pipe? Thanks a lot for the help guys, much appreciated.
I personally dont know but on the official neversummer site the evo is categorized as a "Freestyle/pipe and park"