New Boarder. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 04:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Boarder.

Watsup guys my name's nathan and i'm way down in Russellville, AR. I am hoping to move up to CO somewhere and teach high school and coach football when i get this shithole called college over with. I used to rode for a few years when I was 10-13 on spring breaks and finally got decent my last year. Just got a chance to finally take a trip back to Durango last week for spring break and after busting ass the first cpl runs it all came back and i was flying down the mountain (as close to it as i could while keeping control). This brings me to my question. The rental shop gave me a Burton LTR on the basis of my height (im 5'7 and he did the whole tip to chin rule. I know the dude prolly knows his way with boards and all and prolly just sees so many ppl he dont really care but I think he gave me way too short of a board considering the fact that I'm 190 lbs (I've been bodybuilding while in college). I hate ppl that ask for expert advice without doing their own research so I have been reading around on here and other sites for the last week and I've noticed that weight and boot size seem to be the most important factors when considering new gear. All week i felt that the board was easy to handle but I could get no where in powder, was skidding just about every turn (this is prolly due to my skill level as well), and another thing that annoyed me is that the board would never ride straight it was always wanting to rotate depending on my weight distribution. This might seem like common sense but any time i settled standing comfortably the board would start to rotate and I would feel edges catching the entire ride. Sorry for the long intro and all but i'd appreciate your thoughts on this as i'm looking to get my own gear before i go again next season.

Stats summary
Height- 5'7
Weight- 190-200 lbs depending on time of year during season
Boot size- 9.5-10 (going to try on boots in different sizes when i buy but wore a 10 in the burton rentals)
Skill level- Intermediate
Type of Riding- Freeride (all experience on groomers. Haven't attempted any kind of park but I want to get into the kickers for sure. Buttering and the skate style of park really doesnt interest me much)

If I left anything out just ask! Thanks guys
BigO5659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2011, 04:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

What size board did he give you? The tip to chin rule is the stupidest thing in the world.

Check the sticky thread at the top of this forum titled "FAQ and Equipment Guide" for the basics on how to start looking for your first board.

From the sound of it, you will probably want to look for an all mountain board, normal width, in the 158-162 range. But read the sticky thread, it's pretty helpful.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

He gave me a 150 size board, I have read the sticky actually. I have been lookin on here for the last few days actually and have been researching gear as well. I love carving the groomers and would like to get into the back country stuff when i get that good but id rather go for more freestyle type of riding first. After reading and researching i dnt think that i want a stiff board and i dnt want a noodly board. I know it prolly sounds common to get a board in between but i think i want more flex than i do stiffness. I like the concept of the TBT tech that bataleon has and right now ive got my choices narrowed down to the Riot and the ET. Only thing that turns me off about the ET is the extruded finish it has compared to the sintered finish that the riot has. I saw that the 2012 model is going to be sintered however so might invest in the new version. Either way I also have my mind set on the Rome 390 Boss bindings (prolly the 2011 model to save some $$$). And as for boots I will just try on stuff and see wat I like the best but I am a Nike athlete through and through so of course I like the looks of their boots, Kaiju's specifically.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO5659 View Post
He gave me a 150 size board, I have read the sticky actually. I have been lookin on here for the last few days actually and have been researching gear as well. I love carving the groomers and would like to get into the back country stuff when i get that good but id rather go for more freestyle type of riding first. After reading and researching i dnt think that i want a stiff board and i dnt want a noodly board. I know it prolly sounds common to get a board in between but i think i want more flex than i do stiffness. I like the concept of the TBT tech that bataleon has and right now ive got my choices narrowed down to the Riot and the ET. Only thing that turns me off about the ET is the extruded finish it has compared to the sintered finish that the riot has. I saw that the 2012 model is going to be sintered however so might invest in the new version. Either way I also have my mind set on the Rome 390 Boss bindings (prolly the 2011 model to save some $$$). And as for boots I will just try on stuff and see wat I like the best but I am a Nike athlete through and through so of course I like the looks of their boots, Kaiju's specifically.
Well, it sounds like you've got it figured out. 150 is too small for you so I'm sure that board didn't feel right. Either the Riot or the ET in the mid to high 150s will be good for freestylish riding and the 390s are great. I have a pair from a few years ago and still love them.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

yea my main concern is with the lengths. I know that the real length you want to look at is the effective edge but I dont really have the experience to know what difference 1 or 2cm has on the effective edge and also the ideal width of the board for my boot size. I still dont understand some of the other board stats such as the set back and all tho. is there a sticky i overlooked or a site that explains all of these stats in detail? If you cant tell I'm pretty much a perfectionist and wanna be an expert at whatever i do.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you want to get real technical, the effective edge is probably the best number to look at, but generally the listed lenght of the board is fine to use. 1 or 2 cm isn't really going to make a big difference, so if you're looking at a board in the upper 150s you should be fine....a little longer if you want it for deep powder.

With size 10 boots any of the regular width boards at the lengths you are considering will be fine. Waists between 250-260 most likely.

I think both boards you are considering at true twins so they likey won't be set back. Boards may be set back an inch or two if it is freeride specific or pow specific. the set back just helps with carving and powder float and may be better if you don't ride switch. If you ride switch a lot, set back can make that a little harder.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Let me guess... you're not going to be an english teacher.

Wait, you're from Arkansas, never mind.
Lstarrasl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitty34 View Post
If you want to get real technical, the effective edge is probably the best number to look at, but generally the listed lenght of the board is fine to use. 1 or 2 cm isn't really going to make a big difference, so if you're looking at a board in the upper 150s you should be fine....a little longer if you want it for deep powder.

With size 10 boots any of the regular width boards at the lengths you are considering will be fine. Waists between 250-260 most likely.

I think both boards you are considering at true twins so they likey won't be set back. Boards may be set back an inch or two if it is freeride specific or pow specific. the set back just helps with carving and powder float and may be better if you don't ride switch. If you ride switch a lot, set back can make that a little harder.
I cannot ride switch very well but it is something I intend to work on and be able to do by the end of next season. What is your opinion on Bataleon and the TBT boards? Any other personal preferences or suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lstarrasl View Post
Let me guess... you're not going to be an english teacher.

Wait, you're from Arkansas, never mind.
If your referring to my grammar, I am just a horrible and lazy typist. I am actually going to teach business classes being a double degree in business admin.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If your referring to my grammar, I am just a horrible and lazy typist. I am actually going to teach business classes being a double degree in business admin.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was just fucking with you. If there was a grammar police on here, their head would explode.
Lstarrasl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO5659 View Post
If your referring to my grammar, I am just a horrible and lazy typist. I am actually going to teach business classes being a double degree in business admin.
The lazy excuse doesn't work for the wrong form of the word "your" being used there. Don't teach your students that bad habit!

Smart assness aside, 150 was way too short for your weight. The reason why rental shops are taught this method is to get through the masses of renters. If they had to ask the weight and find the size based on that, it would take them much longer. This unfortunately has spilled into the outside world and big box retailers are the worst offenders of this sizing myth. Anyone that tells you to size a board based on how far it reaches up your body does not know what they are talking about.

Each board will have a unique weight range for each size. This is even the case within the same brand. Compare a Ride Machete to a same/similar sized DH2 and you'll see the weight range is different.

You're likely looking at a size range of 156-162cm. Optimally, you want to find the size where your weight falls close to or on center. You can size up/down as well if you like. Just keep in mind that going lower/below the range, will mean the board will flex stiffer than intended. Opposite rule for going higher/above maximum.

You won't need a wide board so throw those out of the equation. Pay attention to the 159cm+ sizes as some of them are actually mid-wide/wide models. Keep the waist width under 26cm (board will be wider at the binding insert points).

Although I have no experience with Bataleon, they don't sound like a good choice for someone who is 1) fairly new 2) has been riding traditional camber. On all accounts, I hear the TBT feels very different. Some love it, others hate it.